Meditech Reviews

Updated 15 September 2014
3.1

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 18 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It was fun. Everyone was really nice and seemed to enjoy working there. I never had an issue

Former Employee - Product Development  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Development in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at Meditech as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice people. Great benefits. The company outing in the summer is awesome. Seems easy to move up and excel.

Cons

Have you be your own person. People will not find ways to improve you and do not care about you unless you speak up.

Easy work, low pay, reluctant to change

Current Employee - Development Programmer  in  Westwood, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Westwood, MA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work is relatively easy and, work life balance and benefits are great. Work from home available after one year, ability to buy company stock which pays a good dividend, high annual bonus

Cons

LOW pay for entry level employees, pay not increased when transferring to a higher paid position, no attempt to increase pay for current employees when starting salaries rise.

Raise starting salaries, allow employees to get a salary review more than once per year if they are good, bring in new blood with fresh outside experience into development management positions

It's like meeting&dating the man of your dreams and finding out he's married. ;)

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Westwood, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, MA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, easy work, marriott points galore(best benefit), opportunity to travel and enjoy our great country.
    Happy place to start (until you realize how poor the pay is and how nonexistent progress will be)
    Staff r nice but that says nothing about the company, u can find nice staff working at a junkyard or a car wash but that doesn't mean you're going to work there now does it? ..as always there are plenty idiotic staff who annoy you because of their constant need to kiss bum and b seen kissing bum.

Cons

Where to start....as said, depends on your supervisor. I have an ok one, makes life easier but majority of the supervisors here are a bunch of complete junkboxes; Lowlife long tenured peeps who don't know a lot about a lot and just know what they know cos they've been there forever. They sit around gossiping and plotting the 'underbus pushing' of the next employee...and their superiors get involved too. Wish I could name names but that would be low.

Probably pointless to tell u that salary is ridiculous and raises are as foolish and baseless as the gossipy supervisors.

Resistant to change, they will rather die stupid than progress in their mentality

Before I forget, let me just tell you, take a meditech job if u get offered before finding anything else, stay for about 2-3yrs to get experience and build resume and fly out before u get roped into this nonforward thinking/nonforward movement setting. To move up, you have to be there forever and u have to master the art of moving your lips towards superior bums ...A.k.a kiss superior arse with your hands raised so they can see u.

The only thing that excites them is a new web based product on the way ...which they should have thought of ages ago.

Ehm, let me be unoriginal this time and steal what someone said...GTH :D

Only one person(or 2 maximum) is great and visionary but unfortunately , SHE won't be the next CEO, I believe - reorg in progress or complete they say, we see what comes out of that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable place to work, with a great atmosphere.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great hardworking team oriented culture.

Cons

Clients can be very demanding, and the pay is only decent.

Great to get a head start

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Westwood, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees and managers alike are amazing people, and some of the best I've ever worked with. Work is consistent and keeps coming, while not ever being too stressful.

Cons

Work is very easy if you have any background at all in your field. Pay is very, VERY low.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're great! Perhaps raise wages to keep some more talented employees.

Great company; migrating towards cloud-based applications

Current Employee - Clinical Applications Specialist  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Applications Specialist in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training was very good; a general application-wide training, as well as your own group's training was provided. They ensure that you are well qualified to implement the software prior to going out on your own.

Cons

Salary is below industry standards, roughly by -$20,000; but the work culture is ideal, very laid back (jean Fridays for instance), and you are allowed quite a bit of independence and self-management.

Continue to push towards the Cloud, where the future of EHR IT is going, and also consider paying those who stay in the company higher compensation sooner, than the "longer you stay here, the more you will make" theory. This is old-school thought.

Stay far away- this is a career trap

Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good. You clock in 8 hours and leave on the dot. Management is generally pleasant as long as you keep your head down and drink from the Kool aid, and PTO is generous. It's a comfortable job to stay in the grind if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

Where to start?
    Pay: It's low. And not by department, experience, position, or tenure-- the entire company as a whole lowballs ALL of their employees. They hire everyone from entry level 'to grow their employees from within', which really means 'to start everyone at a low salary and keep them there'. Which brings me to:

Promotions: They don't exist. The other reviews here talking about no room for growth are completely accurate. The implications? That hierarchy is completely vertical. You will be working alongside coworkers who've been there 15 years and who have the same position title as you. This is a place where careers go to die, and because of management, they'll stay there. Speaking of which, let's talk about them for a second.

Management: Politics, micromanagement, and mismanagement. You will be micromanaged to the very last detail here, from what words you say to what's on your screen. Not for no reason, which we'll address later. But you will have to watch your back 24/7 here because management WILL NOT advocate for you. They consist of catty people who have meetings purely to talk about their direct reports' shortcomings. The office doors are not that soundproof, people. There is also a LOT of under-the-bus-throwing by management-- which fosters no trust and the knowledge that your boss does not advocate for you at all. They love lifers who are content to do mind numbing work and make small talk from day to day, but if you are someone who's ambitious and aware that this is not all there is, they'll find ways to ostracize and impede you at every turn. So much to the point that they will warn new hires away from those people in private meetings. They are threatened by any type of idealism or change, and that person quickly becomes a black sheep. It's no surprise that this leads to a lot of:

Turnover: And I mean a lot.
    The department consists of three types of people:
    1. Happy people who aren't going anywhere because it's a comfortable job
    2. Unhappy people who have grown complacent and resigned and won't go anywhere
    3. Unhappy people who've realized there's no career growth and are actively searching

They bank on the first two to populate the department, and also deliberately hire non-top talent people because they're less of a flight risk. About 1/3rd the department is job searching at any given time, and it's not hard to find people to band together for support.

The company as a whole: Meditech is proud and vocal about their nepotism. They're also just.......weird. Because the CEO likes old school phones, every desk is equipped with outdated technology. The patterns of the chairs must be alternating by desk (god help you if they're not) and desk changes must go to boston for approval. Biased opinion alert: they are so incredibly anal about these small details when they should be focused on making a better software product. It's very telling that they will actively give you outdated equipment for their own whims rather than to advance the company forward. They also boast of never laying someone off, and firing is rare (but not impossible). What this means: you'll work with a lot of people in the company who proooobably should've been let go.

The department:
    It's emphasized many times that 'what you are doing is important!' because people here need that constant reminder. Also because it's half true. QC does very important work because no one else will do it. It's tedious, repetitive, and has no end. Often times, when other departments are drafted to help because of the high workload, it's not uncommon to hear things like "if I had to do your job every day, I'd kill myself" and "I have so much respect for you guys now". More advanced companies hire employees to develop programs to automate these types of testing-- MT hires more click monkeys. I can't speak for other departments, but I constantly felt looked down upon. The position is not without its frustrations and challenges, but at the end of the day, you read an instruction document, click buttons, and if there's a problem you hand it off to the coders who can actually fix it. Also, it's a numbers game. When testing rolls around, everyone's performance gets rated on the number of plans they finish testing, whether it's a short plan or a long one. Which means if you spend 2 days on a long scenario requiring a lot of knowledge and collaboration, it counts the same as a 15 minute plan. And you'd better believe management will bring it up in a meeting.

Personal development:
    Nonexistent. They'll tell you to gain a specialty to become the 'go to expert', when really this means you get pigeon holed. Weekly meetings with your supervisor consist of talking about non work related things instead of ways to improve or lessons learned. This isn't entirely their fault-- there's simply not much work related stuff to talk about. Did you press the button? You pressed it? Cool.

This was much longer than I'd intended it to be, but it serves as a fair warning. For a certain type of person, this role is fine. But if you're career driven and want to do meaningful work, keep moving. If you want a boss that will advocate for you, or a good salary that won't make future employers question your value, keep moving. If fine isn't good enough, you won't be here long.

There are much more competent people that work under you that weren't promoted because of bureaucracy.

It is a decent place to work

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Norwood, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work-life balance, bonus, benefits, work from home, cheap cafeteria

Cons

compensation, office atmosphere, hours, customer service

increase application specialist salaries

Great Place

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, work/life balance, ability to change roles

Cons

salary get better longer you're there along with profit sharing and bonus

Great company for first job

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere. Easy to learn a lot about the healthcare industry.

Cons

Sometimes the work can become a little grating.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!