Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive(in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients(in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting(in 27 reviews)

Great Company to work for

Compliance Audit Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsWorking toward diversity in workforce

ConsPromotions are difficult to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize exceptional talent

Great company while job lasted.

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsGreat people, good working environment, excellent benefits with reasonable expectations from supervisors and managers. Excellent training in quality for medical device company.

ConsCompany lost focus and diversified too much. It became too politically correct instead of doing the right thing. Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker. Cut costs by cutting jobs became the norm instead of cutting waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with the worker. Don't cut jobs to cut costs. Cut waste to reduce costs.

Worse than some; better than most

Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsIt's rare that you're the smartest person in the room. There are a lot of really driven people who work here; so it's easier to trust to team mates when it comes to getting a project done.

ConsSome Senior Directors have gotten where they are thanks to socializing & politicking much more than performance. Directors/VPs need to listen to the people who are in the weeds talking to patients/clients. There is some good wisdom for future decision-making to be had from listening to honest feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your teams to accomplish the tasks set before them. We're all Team Medtronic; we're all pulling for the success of Medtronic.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Global Leader of Medical Device industry

ProsMedtronic Mission truly is alive and well. In almost no other companies will you get the opportunity to play an active role in "Restoring People to Full Life". Current CEO is brilliant and understands the importance of employee engagement. The recently announced covidien acquisition will be transformational and set the company on a continued course for success.

ConsFinancial commitments are paramount, as a result resources always go toward investing in Products vs infrastructure. Likewise 60 hour weeks are the norm in order to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on the mission

Good Company

Senior Supplier Engineer (Current Employee) Littleton, MA (US)

ProsGood company to work for number of benefits and this company supports your volunteer programs.

ConsManagement needs more training how to deal with conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo for Management conflicts classess

Challenging problems, talented workforce; tough culture

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsI get to work on some of the most challenging problems in biomedical engineering. These are generational challenges, equivalent in scale to sequencing the human genome.

ConsHighly regulated industry. Older employees are set in the medical device-centric view; not ready to embrace the changes that the software industry is ushering in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet younger people on business development teams.

My personal review for this company.

Electrical Engineer Technician (Current Employee) Northridge, CA (US)

ProsWell, is a good opportunity to learn and applied my knowledge.

ConsNot really, it is a good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent, good people, good professional people.

If you can survive the first year as a contracted employee, the best is hopefully yet to come.

DTA (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsOne of the greatest companies on the planet. Those with great work ethic can make a career here or build tenure/experience and be the cream of the crop to other companies hiring in the industry. Leadership (on average) is extremely driven, helping create an energetic environment. If you've proven yourself, getting requested time off is not an issue.

ConsYou have to be a contracted employee for an entire year. You will not be paid for holidays or any time taken off. Starting pay is as much as non-degreed, manufacturing laborers receive. Training continually changes, which is good, as it will only continue to improve. This location has young professionals, many of whom are doing their job (supervisors,management,trainers, etc.) for the first time. If you do not have patience dealing with young people who impact your work environment, you'll be extremely challenged here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing management from another industry, I cannot comment on first time supervisors/managers negatively as they learn to lead and manage. I only hope they embrace learning from mistakes, continual development as people, leaders, and managers, and always keep company mission first priority. Do not fill leadership inexperience voids with ego, it will only reduce respect, demoralize staff, and dissuade quality employees from staying with the company. Also, you are not padding your position by ridding yourself of staff that challenges your inexperience but digging the rut you'll stay in for the duration of your tenure at Medtronic.

Great company

ProsThe mission of Medtronic is to restore health. Great work environment and great projects to work on. Fair salary and work life balance

ConsLots of change related to health care cost controls. Highly regulated environment working with the FDA can be really frustrating.

A great place to work with strong benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMedtronic has strong values that emphasizes customer focus among others. If you work hard and are willing to relocate, there are many opportunities to work around the world.

ConsLike most large organizations, it's difficult to weed out poor performing employees and worse, poor performing managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider expanding your development pipeline with more open and transparent discussion with high performing employees.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!