Medtronic

www.medtronic.com
Employer Engaged

one of the growing company and very good company

Former Employee - Diabetes Educator in Raipur, Chhattisgarh
    Former Employee - Diabetes Educator in Raipur, Chhattisgarh

I worked at Medtronic full-time (less than a year)

Pros

provide free atmosphere and appreciate the new thoughts of employees

Cons

it is a growing company so work is little bit hectic

please do the market research

Regional Manager, Sales

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Delhi
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Delhi

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Performance driven culture. fair pay. strong connection to medtronic mission which a major driving factor.

Cons

career progress planning is still underway. talent management. too heavy leadership team. lots of new postions are being created without a solid business outcomes.

Terrific company: large but well managed

I worked at Medtronic

Pros

Excellent training, average level of education/skills/competence among colleagues high, potential exposure to interesting projects

Cons

Large well run companies offer lots of positives, but none can escape a certain amount of political atmosphere. If you're after a big title to build your resume, you will not get it easily at Medtronic, but you will get good experience, better than others at other companies who have higher titles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Associate Business Systems Analyst in Mounds View, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Business Systems Analyst in Mounds View, MN (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture at Medtronic is very nice

Cons

Senior leadership has a disconnect from the lower level employees

As a young employee, it seems like they don't care about your development

Spine rep

Former Employee - Spine Representative
    Former Employee - Spine Representative

I worked at Medtronic full-time

Pros

Great scope of company and resources

Cons

Slow at making change and innovation compared to smaller/nimble companies

Implement better training.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, wonderful people to work with, great company culture.

Cons

The job can be demanding at times and long hours might be needed.

Great Company

Current Employee - Import Specialist in Fridley, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Import Specialist in Fridley, MN (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

total commitment to Mission
    Opportunities for advancement
    Company you can believe in

Cons

You must come in and hit the ground running. No training

Keep doing what your doing

Great place for internship

Former Intern - Intern in Northridge, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Northridge, CA (US)

I worked at Medtronic as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of normal perks of big company, decent culture & work life balance depending on your group, internship program well organized with lots of events and opportunities to be hired back

Cons

Very corporate, lots of red tape, slow moving

A great entry level position to begin your career

Current Employee - Diabetes Therapy Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Diabetes Therapy Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, you gain an entry to medical device sales field. it is the start to a great field to be in. My position has helped me improve majorly on professionalism and how to work in a corporate structure. I never feel pressured to do anything unethical. As long as you can stand behind your work with integrity you will never be punished or looked down for not making a sales quota, or hitting your numbers. My position (Diabetes Therapy Associate) is a great position to be in. I am in control of my work load, which is a large work load, but it is your own, within a team, and you can be autonomous, given that you are performing and getting work done. I don't feel micromanaged despite having frequent cube rides. If you stay organized, document everything, and work through obstacles, not around them, you will succeed. Medtronic is great from my experience. I love the company mission. I feels good helping people better their lives with the insulin pump therapy that you have fought insurances to help them get. Compensation and benefits are good. Not amazing, but they don't short you. Plus the management appreciates your hard work and frequently buys dinner/lunch for over-delivering performances.

Cons

The work and life balance is hard to manage. I frequently come in on saturdays, not because I am required, but more so because I need to. My work load can be overwhelming. There hasn't ever been a slow week since I have worked here. We are always being asked to bring more to the table and bring more growth! The first year is a contract employment for most cases. No holiday, no paid sick days, terrible benefits. Unless you have prior sales experience in the field, everyone has to go through the standard 1 year contract employment to prove your commitment. once converted advancement is competitive. You can certainly be promoted, but advancement is slow and steady requiring consistent performances, which depending on which territory you are in, can be unfortunate. It is a tedious job. Your patience is tested daily.

Honestly, management does a good job. they are trained, tested and qualified for their position. I am not sure I could do the job any better than they could. Focus is always on numbers though. We try to bring it back to the patients, but how do you quantify quality customer service? I don't have much to say to criticize management. If there is one bit, it would be to stay consistent on objectives and improvements for the long term. It seems that there is always a topic of the month for us to get better at and then it is forgotten. Lastly, don't judge someone's performance based on the low volume territory they have been placed in. Sometimes performance is not due to the employee, but more so due to the area they have been assigned.

Great Company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with almost unlimited resources to do market development, physician education, and other sales support in the Latin America division the potential is huge, the compensation is fair, and business acumen is high. Great product portfolio and sales support.

Cons

Things in LATAM move slowly, there are a lot of back door negotiating, which can be tedious and time consuming. The latter is part of a big company, but sometimes it can be an obstacle for business. Also there are limited opportunities to move up in upper management, and the favoritism, which happens at any company, becomes the stick for measurement after middle management.

Empower local divisions from the Miami office so that there is more accountability and traceability. Having everything go to Miami for solutions can be a bit tedious. Also don't let go of talented people, and beware of people who are in comfort zone. The main issue in Medtronic is that those who are in a comfort zone obstruct those who want to get things done. This is for the Latin America division of Medtronic.