Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients (in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, future still strong

Principal Product Manager (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

ProsContinued growth, potential merger with creates excitement, time off, ethical company that strives for product quality as the patient is really first and conforms to the mission to extend life, alleviate pain, restore health

Conswork-life balance can be challenging at times

Advice to Senior ManagementSome divisions are very stressed in comparison with similar sized companies, creating over-worked employees

Genuine effort to care for their employees

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsI enjoyed the culture in Minneapolis. Everyone had pride in their work and it showed. There would be many mini special events that catered to employee health and well being.

ConsThere was a tendancy for some groups to become somwhat cliquey, which took away from the experience being as diverse.

Great Workplace

Principal Scientist (Current Employee) Mounds View, MN (US)

ProsPatient focus, strong work ethics and great colleagues

ConsFuture growth opportunities very limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable job, to an extent company cares about its employees

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGood structure, as a contract engineer you are paid good without any over burden of work, stable job. If you are looking for a highly defined job structure Medtronic is place to be

ConsToo much documentation but I think that's standard in Med Device companies, long development cycle 5-7 years before product can be launched

Great Company to work with

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Juncos, PR (US)

ProsGreat company to work with

ConsMust be on your toes at all times, highly technical

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring about your professional consultants

Great Company to work for

Compliance Audit Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsWorking toward diversity in workforce

ConsPromotions are difficult to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize exceptional talent

Great company while job lasted.

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsGreat people, good working environment, excellent benefits with reasonable expectations from supervisors and managers. Excellent training in quality for medical device company.

ConsCompany lost focus and diversified too much. It became too politically correct instead of doing the right thing. Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker. Cut costs by cutting jobs became the norm instead of cutting waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with the worker. Don't cut jobs to cut costs. Cut waste to reduce costs.

Worse than some; better than most

Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsIt's rare that you're the smartest person in the room. There are a lot of really driven people who work here; so it's easier to trust to team mates when it comes to getting a project done.

ConsSome Senior Directors have gotten where they are thanks to socializing & politicking much more than performance. Directors/VPs need to listen to the people who are in the weeds talking to patients/clients. There is some good wisdom for future decision-making to be had from listening to honest feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your teams to accomplish the tasks set before them. We're all Team Medtronic; we're all pulling for the success of Medtronic.

Global Leader of Medical Device industry

ProsMedtronic Mission truly is alive and well. In almost no other companies will you get the opportunity to play an active role in "Restoring People to Full Life". Current CEO is brilliant and understands the importance of employee engagement. The recently announced covidien acquisition will be transformational and set the company on a continued course for success.

ConsFinancial commitments are paramount, as a result resources always go toward investing in Products vs infrastructure. Likewise 60 hour weeks are the norm in order to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on the mission

Good Company

Senior Supplier Engineer (Current Employee) Littleton, MA (US)

ProsGood company to work for number of benefits and this company supports your volunteer programs.

ConsManagement needs more training how to deal with conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo for Management conflicts classess

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!