Mesa

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bryan Raines

Small town mentality

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsThe City offers great health benefits and retirement.

ConsAt least for my job, I am expected to work 60+ hours a week, every week on salary and to just "be happy I have a job." Well, I am happy I have a job, but it would be nice if management showed a little more appreciation and respect for the work some of us put in. Promotional opportunities are practically non-existent. COLA's went away years ago. Raises were frozen for many years. It's hard not to get discouraged.

Mesa is one of the largest cities in Arizona but is stuck in the past. It is extremely conservative, and not just because of the predominantly Mormon population. Any ideas that challenge the status quo are seen as threatening and objectionable. No wonder there are so many old people here and the downtown business are scratching their heads wondering how to attract a younger demographic and night life. The sidewalks roll up at 5pm and there is nothing to do here for those of us that are under 50 and don't want to go to bed at 8pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Some of the younger people have some really good ideas, but management tends to still do the same old things or only listen to tenured employees who have been here forever. Sometimes new ideas work!

Tread Carefully

ProsThe City benefits are terrific, and your positions are protected much more than a normal company.

ConsEmployees that do not feel they need to excel at their jobs, hiring freeze within the City for 5+ years so no raises for anyone, bureaucratic paperwork, and most importantly extremely poor high-level management.
    The Executive Director only believes in BEING right, instead of DOING what's right. No creativity, collaboration, or knowledge of how to communicate between departments about goals, productivity or teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat list is too long and they wouldn't believe it anyway.

Bad middle management

IT CLERK I (Former Employee)

ProsEast Valley location and 4-day work week

ConsPoor middle management
    No job training except for "pets"

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clerk

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsAble to work 4x10, friendly people

ConsIt was a wonderful place to wrk

Not bad to work for, but remember you are just a number

Police Officer (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsPay is good. Benefits are very good. It still has somewhat of a small town mentality so you feel a part of a group.

ConsNot very good at money management. Not too many attractions so tax money is very lacking in hard times. Raises may not come for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if the little guy was given some weight when they spoke instead of always relying on top management to be right.

Horrible Place to work

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsIf you are lazy and like to kiss butt, this job is for you.

ConsPeople are lazy...seniority wins...regardless how talented you are.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

best pharmacy to work in

Pharmacy Tech[ (Current Employee)

Prosevery body works a team to provide patient treatment.

Consits a new company and still growing

Poor organizational planning and outlook

Police Officer (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsGood potential to have a clean run city

ConsTop heavy administration without checks and balances on their activities. They do not value their employees. They make alot of unfulfilled promises and treat the employees like their enemies.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement accountability to command staff and have an external auditor check into their business practices. There is a lot of activity they are involved with that is left unchecked.

Mesa is unable to reward upcoming talent due to the entrenched policies that promote experience over ability.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsMesa provides is employees with a great benefits package and competitive pay ranges.

ConsThe majority of Mesa management are control freaks.... constantly looking to protect their position within the organization rather than developing and promoting employees.

Working for Mesa has given me tremendous opportunity to develop my career.

ProsThe opportunity to learn.
    The benefits.
    The flexibility.

ConsStagnant and/or negative salary growth.
    The trade-off of a high salary in private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is aware of the pros and cons, and does a great job.

Worked for Mesa? Contribute to the Community!