Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally"
    in 52 reviews
  • "I love arts and crafts so it was nice helping customers with their project ideas"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to"
    in 48 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Michaels Stores undervalue their employees

Cashier (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThe job itself wasn't difficult, very mindless. Other employee's were mostly helpful but very negative and worn out. Management was very willing to address issues and responded well to hard work. They gave me a Sunday off (UNHEARD OF) when I got engaged which was nice :)

ConsCoupon policy is a joke. We get punished for giving customers coupons but managers make us look like a fool when we refuse to give them one. They push for cashiers to get emails from customers, most customers are either already in the system or not interested. This resulted in most cashiers inputting fake emails to avoid hearing from management. Taking a break is looked down upon. Smokers get breaks but non smokers do not I pretended to smoke so that I would get a break. Customers are so so SO rude (mostly in regards to coupon policy). Minimum wage and no benefits or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoupon policy needs to be reworked. Stop being so pushy about emails. Start valuing hard workers and firing the slackers that just try and get by. Give a raise when you see a hard worker!! Praise employees more and give more encouragement where it is deserved.

good place to start

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have met some some great people who work there. The work can be tedious (cleaning up the sticker isle, recommending glue, etc.), but not too challenging. Asking for time off in advance is usually not an issue, but it depends on the manager.

ConsThere isn't a lot of room for growth or opportunities for salary increases. I worked at one location for two years and only saw my salary increase as the minimum wage increased.

Great attitude and atmosphere, flatlines on progress

I have been working at Michaels Stores

ProsI have found that it is a fun and positive work environment, and that the staff is usually friendly. There are of course hiccups, but that is with any location in retail. The managers work around your schedule should you need days off, and the store policies help keep the location clean and well-managed.

ConsThe training is sometimes not as clear as to what is needed for a certain situation, I feel I didnt get paid what I should have been considering my job title, there are quick lines of gossip that spread quickly, albeit it may have just been the store I worked in. Usually the workload gets passed around until there is a willing volunteer that unfortunately does most of the work.

The raises each year are somewhat rigidly determined.

My First Job Good Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsI was allowed to have unnatural hair color, Under 18 years of age at time of employment, My hours increased fast, Pretty neat customers, Every day was interesting, Friendly co-workers, Buy your own uniform, Made above minimum wage, The one time I had to call in sick things went well, Stayed busy with lots of work - made the shifts go by fast,

ConsI did not feel very welcome at first, Near impossible to request time off even in advance

Hit or miss

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
Garner, NC (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsDepending on the store/managment is a wonderful company to work for

Consso many "rules" and "regulations changing to often, like dress code, which comes out of our pockets

Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood bonus opportunities for managers

ConsNot enough help, tight payroll

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsChill most of the time. Most managers are cool and fun just do your job and they will stay off your back.

ConsCrazy old ladies with there coupons coming in. Christmas season is crazy. Corporate used to make you just wear jeans with an apron on it but they decided it wasnt professional enough so now you have to wear khakis and a black polo.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Fun employees, low pay, long hours

Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee)
Royal Palm Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsTeam is fun to work with. Michaels attracts people with fun personalities, great for part time work. Many opportunities to move up with company, promotes from within

Conshigh expectations low pay, long hours, high stress. Great for first job. Little to no training. Many difficult little items to return to shelves, wicked customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for all aspects of store, too many programs like operation basket that come and go. Too may constantly changing expectations, more consistency. Cashier reports etc that require time in office, when floor is busy and little staff to accommodate. Should be less report oriented and more customer oriented.Pay is very low for Replenishment, Customer Experience and Frame managers, although they are responsible for many things as well as key holders.

I have enjoyed working at michaels crafts

Stock (Current Employee)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood team chemistry
Great gruop to work with

ConsThe recent change in ceo has resulted in many cost cutting measures
Positionsat the store level have been combined so that one person does the work and responsibility ofwhat used to be three people. Hours have been cut across the board to the degree that there are not enough people scheduled to perform daily tasks and resposibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not loose sight of the forest for the trees. cost cutting in itself is wise. cutting beyond what is healthy for business at the store level is not.

Disappointing ...

Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Blue Springs, MO (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros-Very flexible scheduling
-Training was hands on
-Team mates are friendly
-Very relaxed atmosphere

Cons- High School atmosphere
- Favorites
- Lack of good managers
- Only a couple people (not senior management) did what they were supposed to (for job description)
- Policies are only loosely followed

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp because your attitudes are quite negative. Listen to the opinions of others. But, keep up your standards.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All 727 reviews are posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.