Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
Updated 30 October 2014
2.9

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 83 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 73 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Replenishment Team Deserves Better

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Mooresville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Mooresville, NC (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great work/life ratio and they work around your schedule if you'e in school, so a great part time job for anyone who isn't looking to get a lot of hours or pay.

-Most of the employees and managers at the store I work at are amazing people. This makes working easier because you're not always on your toes afraid to be judged or whatnot.

-Basic benefits for part time employees that include life insurance, dental and vision (but none of them really cover much of anything) and you have to enroll when open enrollment begins, which may mean waiting for a while.

Cons

I will address many concerns that I have with Michaels and here are the things I will be addressing below:
    ~Low Pay
    ~Not Enough Hours
    ~The way that some of the things done at Michaels are just way too old fashioned when you compare them to other companies
    ~Not being recognized for hard work
    ~Constantly being haggled for going over hours because of things we cannot control.
    ~Hardly ever an opportunity to move up/being promoted or switch job roles

Here we go:

-Michaels does not drug test or do background checks, where as this may seem like good news to some, the way I see it is they'll basically let anyone in which causes a problem for other employees. Once you've been around the person for a while you get to learn more about them and often that turns out to be a bad thing.

-I worked with a few newly hired people that I found out some things about them that would cause other employers to fire them on the spot. I still wonder how they are still working there, even after being there for a few months and never improving their work ethics and basically being lazy and giving off a "I don't care" attitude about everything. Just makes me shake my head, we lose really amazing people who get replaced with people who just don't care. It's very irritating.

-They pay could be MUCH better. They hired me at 5 cents more than minimum wage which is still pretty bad for the amount of work the replenishment crew does for the store. We keep the store running, keep the shelves stocked and neat, we come in at 3am to unload the freight trucks, BY HAND, box by box. We get no breaks, no lunches and are constantly RUSHING around the whole time we're at work to get everything done in time to be able to get off on time (which never happens because there's just too much to do within the amount of time they allot us to have) and then we get talked down to for going over hours. I don't even have time to take a restroom break half the time because of how fast and hard we're working.

-I just recently got a raise, only of 19 cents. 19 cents? Really Michaels? My manager told me that it was so low because I had not yet been there for a full year to receive my entire 25 cent raise that I would have gotten if I had been there a full year. Then he proceeds to praise me on the hard work I do and how well I do my job and how happy he was to have me as an employee. Oh yeah, I'm sure you're really happy to have me as an employee. 19 cents is basically taxes people. I know so many more places that pay at least $8 an hour to new hires and give them automatic 25 cent raises one or more times a year. But nope not me. I was only a month off of being there for a year. A month. But nope, 19 cents is all I get.

-There are so many things that corporate can change at Michaels that would make the replenishment crews job so much easier, that would make unloading the truck go by MUCH faster, and we could get out on time like they would like us to, but the way things are done at Michaels makes it basically impossible sometimes to get off on time. Yet we get talked down to. We work so hard to get everything done, and are never rewarded for it or even acknowledged for it. When inventory and Audit came around, the replenishment crew worked so SO hard to make everything as perfect as possible so that we would pass with flying colors. We did really well, our manager and our district manager had promised us a free lunch for passing so well and working so hard. We never saw that lunch. We even asked if it was going to ever happen, our manager assured us we would get it. Never got it. So much for showing your appreciation for our hard work guys. This is why you are losing great employees.

-The work itself is not hard, what makes the job unbearable at times is the fact that everything is done in such a fashion that it's just, well, WAY TOO OLD FASHIONED! When we get our freight trucks in (which sometimes, specially in the holiday season, turns up to be a completely full trailer load just for our store) the truck is loaded completely mixed. Everything is on pallets, but the boxes are completely mixed. All of our stocking boxes have labels on them that tell you what section of the store they go in. Be it fine arts, floral, scrapbooking, candles, kids you name it they're labeled. So why do they load the pallets mixed up? Can they not put each section's boxes on their own separate pallets? Apparently not because we end up breaking down the pallets, unloading each pallet box by box and sorting them on to separate U-BOATS until they are full up, then we have to take the time to push the U-BOATS out to the store, drop the boxes on the floor in front of each section, go back, load it up again and continue the same grueling cycle until the whole truck is unloaded. Would it not be easier to have the pallets already sorted, bring them out with a pallet jack or hell even give us enough room in the stock room to have a small forklift back there so we can go ahead and pull the pallets off, the truck driver can leave and we can continue as planned. There is absolutely no reason why unloading the truck has to be this time consuming. It takes us between and hour and a half to sometimes three hours maybe a little longer just unloading the truck. Then we have to stock it all. And corporate wonders why we're always over hours!!! Even if we had plastic reusable pallets at our disposal we could load the boxes onto the pallets and go drop the pallets onto the store floor rather than taking countless U-BOATS out and unloading them. It just takes too long to do such a simple task!

-You don't get many hours. Almost every position available at Michaels is part time, unless you are management, Employees can get anywhere from 10 to 17 hours A WEEK 20 if you're lucky. You get around two to three days of work a week. If they like you and the work that you do you get a maximum of 4 days a week. Those hours, plus the basically minimum wage that they pay does not amount to a very good paycheck. Majority of the time I don't even make enough every paycheck to even have any state taxes taken out of my check, just federal and all that jazz. I get paid in one month, half of what someone would make elsewhere with just one paycheck every two weeks. It's almost insulting. "We're not gonna give you any breaks or lunches or give you enough hours a day to even allow you a lunch, but we're also not gonna give you enough hours or money to make working here worth your gas wasted." is basically how I feel. I work so hard for this company, and even though I come in with a smile on my face, ready to work and work with people I can have fun with, that isn't going to keep me there if something else pops up that pays me more. We've lost 5 amazing people just this year because they left to pursue other jobs that hired them full time with a crap ton more money. Our store manager knows this, and he hates to see them leave but there's nothing he can do about it because corporate just is not willing to pay us more.

-It's hard to move up at Michaels, specially if you are on the replenishment crew. I've seen one person get promoted whilst I've been working here and she went from being in framing to becoming a manager on duty.
    You're pretty much going to be stuck in your position for quite a long while.

This isn't just to management but to corporate. Pay your employees more! You lose so many people a year because of your low pay, as well as not giving lunches or breaks to your employees. At least that's what I've seen while working replenishment. People at McDonalds get paid more than we do and we do more work than almost anyone in the store (other than management). We work so hard for you, why will you not give us anything in return?

UPDATE THE WAY WE UNLOAD THE TRUCK! We're not cavemen. Even Pet Smart (who has the same size store as us) has room in their stock room for a small forklift and they bring their pallets out to stock onto the store floor and stock from the pallets. Why do we have to unload it box by box that are unsorted? Why are our trucks loaded like this to begin with? Can they not stack the pallets with like items/sections to begin with? Why is this being done in such a way that it takes us hours upon hours just to unload the truck. Simplifying this would make our jobs easier, and easier on you guys because we won't constantly be going over hours.

Honor your employees more. Reward them for their hard work instead of only pointing out the wrong things going on (which is rare).

Things can be done so much better around here, and I'm baffled that things are still they way they are. It's 2014, not the 1900s.

It's alright. Could be better.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% off discount
    flexible schedule... sometimes..
    fun environment

Cons

rude customers complaining about the sales signs
    gets really busy on weekends and people complain about lack of registers open
    bad management
    management picks favorites

don't pick favorites and let some people only work one day a week and when another works 5 days a week and asks off for 2 in one month, deny their request.... then cut their hours because you're angry... how old are we? five?

Good first job but that's it

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Blaine, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Blaine, MN (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Business gets busy and really slow so you have time to rest. Easy job. Good first job teaches great customer service skills and cashier skills. They move you to sales associate after a few months so you can get skills in that also. Not very many employees total so keeping names in line is easy.

Cons

Can't get very many hours. I only got about 10-15 a week. Had to work thanksgiving but was sent home after an hour because it was slow, my family was already up north by that time. Pay is not good but for a first job it is something.

why it is an ok job

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in East Massapequa, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in East Massapequa, NY (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

easy work, good fellow employees

Cons

low pay every 2 weeks not enough hours given

give more hours and better pay

Picking up the slack of others on a daily basis.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Creative environment, happy customers for the most part, easy to learn about the products since they are all simple to use, and for retail you get very few unhappy customers unless you work the closing shift. They will work with any crazy school or work schedule.

Cons

Management doesn't help out on the floor as much, and upper management doesn't help out with training. New ideas trickle down without any form of implementation for the plan. I truly didn't learn much in this job that I didn't already know from past experience and knowledge gained by my degree. This is the only business which will let Store and assistant managers have weekends off, either every other weekend or every weekend, depending upon how committed your store manager is to their work or their family. Lack of staffing on the floor which makes it hard to help customers during busy shifts.

More training for the associates. Make an appearance on the floor more to help out with the lack of hours allocated to customer service. Care more about your job and spend more than the minimum time required when your store is looking like a tornado hit.

Would be perfect if pay was better

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful management and co-workers, flexible schedule, steady to fast paced.

Cons

Pay is extremely low, not enough hours, never turns on air conditioning so store is always hot.

Don't ever change.

Good Co-workers

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great, lots of good people

Cons

Alot of art questions, sadly i could not answer

Empty promises and moving targets

Current Employee - Replenishment Team
    Current Employee - Replenishment Team

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The early morning hours shift is perfect for my family. I appreciate the opportunity to have buy-in "voluntary" insurance, such as it is....

Cons

This is a physically laborious job! I am considered a hard-working, reasonably fit individual however the amount of work and the hurried pace (like: 8 hrs of work crammed in 4 hours) is unreasonable. There's the constantly changing "target" of procedures makes it difficult to do things right. or without confusion. In the time I have been here their has been a revolving door feel to the turn-over of people. From the district managers to my peers at the same level as myself.

When giving an employee a personal review and offering goals it seems pithy to not be given opportunity to work on these goals, broaden knowledge base and allow better pay increase or formula to determine this..

Loved working here, but the pay was low

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Lubbock, TX (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere, loved all the products and helping customers find what they need.

Cons

My store started cutting hours and the pay for front end supervisor was already low as it was, working two part time jobs at 8$ an hour is not enough to get by on, especially if one starts cutting hours.

Glitter everywhere! impossible to get off of your clothing.

I guess I would say, pay a living wage even to part timers, 8$ and hour for a supervisor position is ridiculous. You already do not provide health care benefits, NO ONE can live off of 8$ an hour, take in to account taxes, and your checks are skin and bones, much like I was when I worked there.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Very flexible with hours, people are nice and friendly. management does seem to care about you. good place for kids to learn about job responsibilities

Cons

holiday hours are long. You definitely aren't going to get rich working here.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!