Michaels Stores

1,154 Reviews
2.9
1,154 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience for young professional to build from

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun team environment, mostly happy customers and employees. Great creative space if you're a crafter, lots of ideas shared.
    Was given lots of opportunities to advance.

Cons

Schedule constantly changing. Guilt for taking time off or sick days.
    Treatment of employees breeds a culture where you won't be able to keep the good ones long and you'll have to keep hiring mediocre kids who are unreliable.

Stop jerking your good employees around.

Not flexible hours, especially for college students

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice place to work at, coworkers were really helpful and nice. One of the managers was AMAZING

Cons

Not flexible with hours, scheduling confusion happened often
    The other manager was very rude

Although job performance is important for managerial promotion, please be sure to hire managers with a sense of empathy towards their subordinates.

First Job, Extremely Pleased

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Boynton Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Boynton Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people to work with - made really good friends with my coworkers and managers.
    Opportunities for learning - was given the chance to train in different parts of the store, making me a versatile employee.
    Loved all of my managers. They helped a lot when I needed it.

Cons

Scheduling program was frustrating to deal with - sometimes manager would accept my requested days off and system would override it. Had to talk to manager a few times about it, but they fixed it.
    Stores were a mess most of the time - customers would put stuff back in the wrong places, as would employees.
    Theft rate was kind of high due to number of small expensive items.

Poor training, but friendly people

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is flexibility in scheduling. They ask me what hours I prefer. Getting time off is easy. My co-workers are mostly very friendly, pleasant people.

Cons

Largely ignored by my managers. Given very little guidance/training. I've had to ask a lot of questions in order to understand what is expected of me.

Simply be more precise about your expectations when assigning tasks to new employees. How many hours the task should take to complete, which things are highest priority, which things are less important and don't require so much attention, etc.

It was okay for that time in my life because I was in school.

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bellevue, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bellevue, TN (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount was awesome. You could use your discount on top of items already on sale. I was really close with my coworkers and we worked as a team. Management was flexible with my schedule.

Cons

You didn't really get many hours. Some days they didn't schedule enough people so there were stressful days because you responsibile for several tasks. Some of the higher ups were condescending.

You should focus more on your employees more. I felt like just a number instead of an asset to the company.

Michael's Cares

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Replenishment Associate, Cashier in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have a Michael's Cares Program, which means they are raising money to help employees with financial needs.

They have an associate's discount program (Blackstone Marketplace) in which you can virtually buy anything with a discount.

They also donate a lot of their stuff.

Cons

Be prepared to get dirty fingernails!

You're doing great

Cashier/Merchandising

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, great people who are always able to help you when you need assistance. Will take the time to train you in the "retail world" not just "do this" but will explain the process in concise terms and the reason why items are displayed. Atmosphere is great, feeling that you want to come into work.

Cons

Upper Management, does not display customer service, seen examples of how they treat customers which contradicts store policy of the way Cashiers should treat customers. Not sure Management's plan and if they are following corporate policy but when challenged they resort to "my way" of doing things.

Understand the reason why we need to treat our customers with self respect. Get down from the high pedestal that you are on and help out on the registers, stocking the shelves or cleaning up the store.

It's a very fun and eventful place to work.

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are a very fast past and friendly environment. They are very good with working with your schedule to make sure it's beneficial to you and them.

Cons

They are not very organized, stock rooms are very chaotic. Very hard to move up in the company and late to leave if you close.

Disappointed

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun environment. Discount and get to meet and work with crafty people.

Cons

Not really team players. It seems like more important that every tool you need is in correct labeled spot and nothing else. Which means to throw out stuff very wasteful. Some managers are to clicky and immature. If you are not full time (very very few are) then you don't matter.

Get out of the office instead of gossiping about all us part timers. You should also check out other stores to see what is going on

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!