Michaels Stores

Updated 29 September 2014
Updated 29 September 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 68 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 70 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't even know where to begin.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

I like working in the store, with my co-workers and love working with the customers, I enjoy helping them get what they've imagined into reality. The discount is nice.

Cons

Some unrealistic expectations. I know from first hand experience of the expectations this company is now placing on its employees. They are pushing and pushing employees to crank out 6 to 8 hours of work into 3 or 4 hours they are pushing employees to move faster and faster over looking or turning a blind eye to doing things right.. Michaels is pushing speed over safety. A person can only maintain a certain rate of work performance( speed and movement) for so long of a time( continuously for 1 maybe 2 hours, but not 3 or more) before their body gives out straining a muscle or exertion to the point of shortness of breath and becoming light headed. Not to mention the stress. Working only 2 or 3 days a week 3 or 4 hrs. each day also does not allow the body time to become used to such a routine. Employees shouldn't be in fear of losing their job so much that they work themselves to the point of damaging their bodies.

Someone needs to re-evaluate the amount of time allotted to do a task. Not all tasks times are for certain job tasks unreasonable but its very lopsided. I’d like to know when the job of a manager dealing with keeping employees on task and time turned into what is now taking place in the work place
     Corporate needs to come out from behind the desk and spend a few months as a stocker and cashier etc.

Overall, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Replenishment Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Replenishment Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, its fun to work here. My store manager has spent a lot of time cross training me and giving me opportunities most other managers wouldn't do. I told him I wanted to move up into corporate, so he has spent a lot of time training me in all areas of the store. I found a replenishment manager position at another store, so he is going to spend the next few months training me to become a manager so that I can get that job. I've never been denied a time off request and they are 100% compliant with my availability. Generally, getting an 8 hr shift flies by because there is so much to do, whereas, a 4 hr shift drags on due to inability to start a large project. Overall, this is a company I want to stay in.

Cons

Raises are low and infrequent. Also, good work ethic is hard to come by. It mostly depends on who is hired to your store, but I know a lot of very unkind people who have worked in my store.

Consider hiring a spell checker for your SOPs. Also, spend more time in your stores and offer more payroll.

Fun, stressful, decent place to work.

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer  in  Sugar Land, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Sugar Land, TX (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to move up if you are competent and reliable. I started off as a cashier/sales associate, then moved onto part time framer after a month (awesome because of my degree in Fine Arts), then was promoted to part time Customer Experience Manager after 2 months. I'm now a full time Custom Framer. I did interview for the Framing Manager position but didn't get it. Both the Assistant Manager and General Manager wanted me in the position, but the District manager vetoed their votes....whatever. If you love art, then you're in the right place. The store and sometimes the customers are a constant source of inspiration. I get to work with other creatives, which is nice. The management is laid back.

Basically:
    1. Creative environment.
    2. If you're a good worker, you'll get hours and you'll move up easily. (Don't make yourself too readily available, or you WILL be called in ALL OF THE TIME... I made that mistake, now i'm always the go-to when someone calls out. I learned just about everything in the store, except Floral, so at least twice a week i'm being called into come in early or come in on a day off. Being "part-time" night and weekend manager...I already have no life.)
    3. If you have a bit more experience and education, you'll start off making a bit more than minimum wage. My bosses fight to get me higher pay because I do have a degree, and i'm a hard worker.
    4. Laid back management, within the store.
    5. AWESOME associate discounts that layer with coupons.

Cons

Minimum wage. If you've been working there less than a year and it comes around to appraisals, you won't get a full raise. I got a third of a raise, but that's fine because they started me off higher, and i've gotten 3 pay raises in the 6 months i've worked there.

The store is messy and very disorganized. The sales are often confusing and misleading to customers, so we get the joy of explaining things to them, which just frustrates them more. Joys of retail, right there. If we had more people on the floor, it'd be a lot easier to get the work done AND keep the store clean and organized.

Constant sales. A lot of the products are marked up in price, and there is always a constant sale going on for it. For example, canvases, frames, flowers, and ESPECIALLY Custom Framing. (Look up the dispute between the state of New York and Michaels for custom framing...) If there is always a sale....is it really on sale? It's flat out deceitful.

We are often very understaffed, but can only do so much due to the hours being given to us. As such, the few people who ARE working get very stressed very quickly because of fact that we are tasked with the store running smoothly and efficiently. This is a corporate issue, it has nothing to do with the GM and AM.

Give us more hours to schedule more people, not just during peak season. Higher pay, especially for full-time employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Replenishment Associate, Cashier  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, Replenishment Associate, Cashier in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

As was said before, you can get hired easy during the season, and promoted quick. Discount is nice if you are crafty and now includes sales items. Mostly friendly co-workers and some are extremely fun, talented and hard working. Overall I enjoy my job and being surrounded by creativity and inspiration, but would like some revamping of policies and procedures

Cons

Mostly part time, over-hiring is terrible and limits hours and the turnover is outragous. Co-workers an managers like to start drama(I've known crafty people to be like this =P) 3 words-"Crazy craft ladies" if you've worked here you know what I mean. There are really nice creative customers who come in, but then there are the ones who are rude, snotty and look down on you for taking care of there precious supplies. Employees are not well trained before being 'set loose', and some just simply do not try and are not reprimanded for it. Pay is mediocre and yearly raises are insulting for the work expected.

Spend more time teaching employees basic rules/ proceedures.

Like a second family.

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

What other job allows you to sit and color or design Mother's Day t-shirts with kids?

Cons

Keeping merchandise in correct home and having other employees put things where they belong.

Awesome especially if you love art

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Colma, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

- welcoming environment
    - fantastic customers
    - attentive and knowledgeable management
    - fun co-workers
    - flexible schedules for students and really anyone

Cons

- not sure if a con, but be sure you can multi-task because you WILL have to answer phone calls while cashiering
    - possible vague questions a customer has, make sure to communicate with your co-workers/managers to avoid issues

N/A

Michaels

Current Employee - Replenishment
    Current Employee - Replenishment

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Working at Michaels is okay. It seems to me people get hired very easy, they of course hire a bunch (about 20 depending on size of store) of people around seasonal time and you basically have 1-3 months to prove how good you are and you will probably be kept.
    The work environment really just depends on how good & bad your managers are. If they are lost & dont really know what they are doing then everyone else is lost too.

The employee discount got better this past year, it used to be 20% off entire purchase regular price items, but thats dumb because there is always a 40% off coupon, so everyone just used the store coupon. Now the discount is 30% off entire purchase sale & regular price, so when the seasonal items hit 80% off and then you get the 30% on top of that its pretty awesome.

If you are available, rarely call out, work hard, & show some common sense you could get promoted pretty fast. They definitely like to promote from within so that is available.

Coworkers are friendly, its a creative craft enviroment, so people are always bringing in bakes goods.

401k plan for everyone, it use to be they met every dollar, I dont know if it is still that.

Cons

Fight for hours, if management likes you, you get hours if they dont you dont. But in my experience the workers who work hard and arent complete idiots get at least 12hrs, I usually get around 20- 35 hrs. It helps if you can do multiple things. If you are on replenishment ask to be shown how to do register/sales floor and vice versa. Management just likes be able to have someone be able to do whatever comes up.

Not a lot of full time positions available, its usually just manager, asst. manager, replenishment manager, front end(sales floor) manager, & framing manager. Other jobs like replenishment specialist & floral designer vary depending what size store or volume store it is.

Higher corporate people have unrealistic expectations, they want everyone to do more with less hours, they start up stupid rules or store promotion things. So you can tell they never actually worked in a store.

glitter everywhere! Especially if are on replenishment team and stocking product during the christmas season, you will be covered in glitter.

Train! Train! Train! People do better when they know what to do and what is expected of them.

Sales/Replenishment Associate

Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate  in  Mission Viejo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Mission Viejo, CA (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay. Promotions are there if you want them.

Cons

Hours can be brutal. No sick or vacation days for part timers.

Decent company but very challenging work environment

Former Employee - Product Designer  in  Irving, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Irving, TX (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid and secure company. The corporate culture has experienced some much needed overhauling. A lot of those who were part of the problem have been dismissed by the new CEO. I experienced great working relationships with my buyers and project managers but I had to work at it. The benefits are decent. There are a lot of opportunities to travel domestically and internationally. Great place to gain experience and knowledge of several different craft products and categories. Compensation tends to be above average. Annual pay increases and bonus compensation may not be ideal but at least you get them in what can be considered a soft industry.

Cons

For people on the merchandising side of the business you've got to have a strong personality if you want to be successful here. The buyers can be very demanding and their expectations perhaps a bit unrealistic. The people you work alongside in your category can also be very competitive. For product designers, the work load is intense and the stress level very high. Performance expectations can be unrealistic. The managers have a hard time dealing with complaints. They prefer employees who pretend to be happy. Your attitude matters more to them than your talent (I've actually heard them say this). Politics here can be very taxing. So the favorite advice provided from management is to "manage your perception". Upward mobility in the design studio is difficult - experience gives way to favoritism. True "leadership" is lacking with the current group of managers. They know how to 'manage' but leave a lot to be desired in terms of being a true source of inspiration and trust.

To design management: Relax. Let go of the obsession with control. You're in the craft business not the military. The structure doesn't have to be so tight. You're stifling creativity rather than fostering it. You can't control or put demands on the attitudes of your direct reports. Talent DOES matter and the right attitude can be cultivated by managers who know how to lead rather than just delegate tasks. Show a sincere level of caring to help your direct reports be in the best position to succeed on multiple levels rather than only complete their tasks for you. Giving unchallengeable advice you believe is right isn't the solution. Listen intently and do not devalue the input of your direct report no matter how absurd you think it may be. They're trying to tell you something. It's your responsibility as a leader to listen.

Good first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Casa Grande, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Casa Grande, AZ (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers, and flexible schedule good place to work if you have two jobs or in school

Cons

limited hours because they hire so many people at once,a lot of gossip

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!

+ Add Photo

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!