Mitchell International

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun

Alex Sun

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people work at Mitchell!

Product Delivery (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople you work with day in and day out are awesome. They make it worth getting up in the morning and doing your best.

ConsRegular restructuring cycles have working people nervous about losing their job. Quote from one of the more respected senior engineers "once you reach certain pay grade you are fair game and most likely to be replaced by a junior and less costly employee regardless of performance" - that same individual was expected to work a regular day, be in a night deployment from 10 pm to 2 am and return to work next day in the morning - sometimes repeating the same routine 3 times on the same week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more quality engineers and give the scrum teams some breathing room

One of the worst corporate cultures I've experienced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some really smart people you get to work with (mostly the workers under management layer). Mitchell has experienced success in spite its poor management and products. If customers could easily switch from Mitchell's bug-ridden software, they would in a heartbeat.

ConsDysfunctional management
Poor leadership/lack of clear direction
Constant fire fighting mode

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst - listen to the feedback in the Employee Engagement Survey and actually do something about the valuable employee feedback. Stop wasting employee's time if you aren't going to listen to them.
Second-increase pay and give bonuses to employees. Pay at Mitchell is really low.
Third-only promote managers who are good at leading and communicating. Way too much politics at this place and many managers with poor people skills.
Fourth-Sales should not be running the company. Stop the culture of overpromise and undeliver.

Lack of Vision and Leadership

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

Pros- great co-workers who work very hard to develop great products

Cons- lack of leadership and vision which makes for a chaotic, non-focused working environment
- employees are not treated as an asset (e.g. Mitchell tries to get away with offering their employees with as little compensation as possible)
- salaries are not competitive to industry
- lack in upward mobility opportunity and career path plans

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquire leaders who understand how to lead and how to build a vision for an entire division and want to do right not only for the company but for their employees, too. Motivate and retain your employees by compensating them with competitive salaries, stocks, gifts, etc.

Poor/Too Much Management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMost of the people who work here are friendly. The atmosphere is usually pretty laid back.

ConsThe management leaves a lot to be desired. They continually ask for feedback from employees and then promptly ignore it. On the APD side you are in constant fire fighting mode. There is always a customer priority that will take precedence over your assigned work and then you will be punished for not getting your assigned work completed. Nights and weekends will be spent deploying software and you are always on call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen developing software, spend the money up front and do it right. The amount of money you save on one quarters budget will cost you 10 fold in future quarters. Pay your good employees at least market rate.

Amateur managers who haven't a clue what leadership is about.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood location by UTC, nice people, reasonable hours.

ConsVeal pen sized work areas, horrific managers who are absorbed with advancing and keeping their jobs by taking credit for work of those they manage, miniscule raises, no promotions, abusive reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers on leadership skills, reward hard work, provide work spaces that promote human dignity rather than detract from it, give decent raises on occasion.

Competitive salary, people care about their jobs and work hard, in-fighting between departments

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to learn about corporate culture and understand basics of software and its uses in the insurance industry.

ConsInterdepartmental in fighting cause a bottle neck in product development and deployments. Management (Director and above) is achieved not by skill & hard work but by who you know. Every 18-24 months they implement a round of lay-offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are top heavy at the Director/VP level.

Old boys club

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary, really nice people, opportunity for advancement, friendly atmosphere.

ConsIT dept is an old boys club, they're cheap on infrastructure and tools, they are behind the curve on technology, and poor benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new talent, and significantly increase incentives and benefits to keep talent there.

Good company but unfair experience

Technical Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood software company, good co-workers, great working eironmentn.

ConsBiased and unfair management. Discriiamination and preferential treatment to some.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on Department management and sexisim and discrimination

Challenging but rewarding

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

Pros+ Tons of hands on experience
+ Real responsibilities and influence

Cons- Mitchell is slowly changing for the better, but still not where they want to be
- Below market wages
- Some politics

Run Away If You Are Thinking About Working Here!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsClose to where I live.

ConsThis is THE most DYSFUNCTIONAL company I have ever worked at in my career! Most of the management is more of a hindrance to projects instead of helping them. Only out for themselves. How can any company properly produce software when only the management get bonuses for releasing features, not quality? Working the people underneath them to death. Even making them work long hours and weekends while they are unwilling to.

I have to hand it to the sales team (non I ever meet while I was there) for the ability to sell the worse products I have ever seen. Even heard this directly from customers.

Favoritism runs big including mangers from India hiring friends and laying off current employees to make room for more. Even going so far as bringing over pregnant women from India so they can have their babies in America!

Mitchell has a very bad reputation as a software development company to work at in San Diego and that reputation only gets worse. The work area is horrible, benefits get worse and worse and pay raises are pretty much non-existent. The HR department makes it harder and harder to do your job, I guess to justify their existence.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. None of the senior management have any idea how to properly run a software company! Alex Sun has no idea what is really going on in his company. I don't think the entire time I worked there he even came into our area to see the looks on our faces.

Worked for Mitchell International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mitchell International reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mitchell International CEO Alex Sun. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Mitchell International employees.