Modern Woodmen

Be The First To
Add Photos

W. Kenny Massey

Good learning experience

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid conservative well funnded company

ConsHalf the normal commissions with very poor lead assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless you supply good very fresh leads, you should pay higher commissions or at least a base salary.

Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding

Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

ConsNo financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.

Good job to learn the business but hard

Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

ProsGood training and support. The office where I was at has nothing to do with how the company as a whole is ran. I actually went to home office had a personal lunch with Kenny Massey, and he and the other home office staff were all great people.

ConsYou need to have a lot of money to back you, so when you have to spend it on advertising and tons of other expenses. Although I was a top producing Agent and in our monthly magazine, it was still a hard financial burden topped with a lie of family life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to help your new agents more, stop worrying about the people who kiss your ass to get on you good side, as they talk down about producing agents and try to back-stab them. I left due to this, and I busted my ass putting my family on the side and worked 80hr weeks and worked Saturday and Sunday. All the time. Good place to gain, but not to thrive from.

Genuine people centered around genuine core values

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

ProsVery rewarding. Amount of effort put in equals the amount of rewards you reap. No salary cap, great benefits, very caring colleagues. There is always someone willing to lend a hand to help. Genuine people that truly believe in the company's core values and principles. Work environment is very different, but positive and motivating, compared to traditional companies. Teaches you to be approachable, but also how to effectively communicate with others. Very flexible schedule; you set your own.

ConsHard when first starting to build your network and business. Initial out-of-pocket expenses may be higher. Business expense tax write-off only counts for the following year. Lots of travel is involved. Must set own appointments.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor managing-partners, stay supportive to your own representatives. For regional directors, stay supportive and offer words of encouragement to those who work under you. Always work as a team and share experiences to help each other.

Good place to provide real value to others in your community.

Rock Island, IL (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent reputation in communities. Meaningful Fraternal benefits to members.

ConsNot always competitive on premium rates and product selection.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on management and more focus on the sales force. Too many Regions that produce next to nothing for the company. Resources allocated to Regional Managers do not directly impact or benefit sales force. Reduce # of Regions and use those funds to support agents through better HO service, and admin assistance in Managing Partner's offices.

Opportunity of a life time

FIN (Current Employee)
Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than a year

ProsModern Woodmen rewards good, honest, intelligent effort. I was tired of working for organizations who took advantage of the value that I brought to their business. With Modern Woodmen, I have a great opportunity to better my community, help my clients, and be paid what I am worth. In addition, Modern Woodmen has given me all the tools and training that I need to run a successful business. Having been exposed to several advisors in other regions and the staff at the Home Office, Modern Woodmen is truly an organization that lives up to the high character I expect out of an employer.

ConsGood, honest, intelligent effort is hard to identify. It is a fact that this career path is not for everyone. Within the first few months, our advisors are personally challenged. How one responds to that challenge says a lot about an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to take that first step.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho you attract is not determined by what you want, but determined by who you are. Continue to lead with integrity, character, and energy.

Best organization to work for

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time

ProsGreat benefits. Great to build relationships with clients and co-workers. Success falls on one's own shoulders. No one can cap my income. Gave me the tools to succeed. Has great training program and benefits as compared to other companies in the area. That fact that MWA is a fraternal organization is awesome.

ConsHard to get started. You have to use own money for necessary business expenses. Takes awhile to be officially appointed with MWA.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe quicker on new technology.

Great company for a retired person or a used car salesman.

Conway, AR (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor for less than a year

ProsYou are rewarded for success.

ConsThe older experienced representatives farm young talent to grow the business and then cut them loose when they have gotten every dollar out of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive new employees a stable work environment.

Great company to work for, but you must be an insurance salesman.

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor for less than a year

Pros--Great company values
--Extra (fraternal) benefits
--Gives back to the communities
--Unlimited potential
--Set your own schedule, be your own boss!

ConsEven though Modern Woodmen is a great company with a long track record, it is insurance first, investments later. In other words, you may be able to take on the function of an advisor and sell securities, but the insurance will always come first (that's how benefits, contracting, etc are determined). If you're an insurance salesman, Modern Woodmen's insurance is pretty competitive. But if you want to be a little more "rounded" or want to focus on financial planning and/or advisory services, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a compensation/contract structure that allows financial planners/advisors to flourish a little more. You've got an awesome company, but the advisory/planning services aren't on par with brokerage/advisor firms.

not for me, but for anybody looking into financial services there isnt a better company

Intern (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen

Prosno ceiling. Chance to really make a difference in people's lives, not just make money. Community service. Great and supportive work atmosphere.

ConsNo ceiling but also no floor since it is all commission based. Not a well known company and its not for profit so at the beginning there is a lot of cold calling.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is always there and can be relied upon. Management people also started right where everybody else did so they always know exactly what you are going through.

Worked for Modern Woodmen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Modern Woodmen reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Modern Woodmen CEO W. Kenny Massey. All 34 reviews are posted anonymously by Modern Woodmen employees.