Modern Woodmen

www.modern-woodmen.org
Employer Engaged

Great Place To Work!

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

Great pay and training! Managing Partners are terrific at what they do, and are always willing to help. It feels like a mom and pop shop.

Cons

All commission from the beginning. Maybe have a base plus commission for the first year. If you don't have a market, you won't succeed.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

Sales

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of independence and ability to set your own hours. Hardwork pays off sometimes but not always. You must be willing to harass a lot of people before you get a small sale.

Cons

Lack of quality training, must learn on the job. To be successful you must work long hours everyday and invest a lot of your own money into gas, client lunches, and advertising.

Invest more time with your field representatives than simple class room lecture and a couple of sales calls.

Good company to work for, hard business to succeed in.

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Quality values, they want you to succeed, and their fraternal benefits are a great selling point.

Cons

Their name recognition is substantially less than Edward Jones or any of the other big guys. There was very little training in the first three months.

Establish a training program within a month of hiring a new Financial Representative.

Modern Woodmen is a solid employer with good benefits and a strong training program

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the highest ratings for a financial services company.

Cons

Old workforce drives up the cost of health benefits.

Run fast!!!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was great! They made it seem like it the best place to work for.

Cons

Getting your own leads. No training from management. When you bring in a policy watch out, the managers will try to rob you!!!

Don't hire shady managers & if you advertise to do something, do it. Don't waste anyone's time, it makes you look weak!

Have acheived many goals while at this company.

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fraternalism, financially strong company, agents are active members of local communities, opportunity to make a real difference in people's lives with the financial products and advice we provide, ability to control scheduling and maintain work life balance, Good benefits... includes medical, rx, disability & dental insurance and retirement.

Cons

Home office focuses on Management, especially at Regional level instead of sales reps, limited access to underwriters, no vision plan offered, low commissions, limited ongoing training for seasoned reps, limited advancement opportunities.

Have fewer regions and invest the money saved into sales force and managing partners who work recruit, train, and work with reps...examples: Fund admin positions in larger district offices to provide agent support, many of these are producing more than a lot of regions and increase agent commissions.

Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Modern Woodmen as an intern

Pros

The Managers are very nice.

Cons

Strictly commission-based.
    Have to rely on family and cold-calls to get started.

Be willing to give some of your Reps a few of your clientele to get them started.

After one year with Modern Woodmen, I find it an outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The focus of Modern Woodmen is to help its members. Other financial firms are many times only concerned with selling. The clear message in everything about Modern Woodmen from the top down is this. The more you help people (by working hard, being honest and treating everyone with dignity and respect) the more you will get in return. The fraternal side of MWA is a huge asset to both it's sales force and it's customers. If you're not familiar with the "fraternal" aspect of Modern Woodmen, do some research. I've found the right place to work.

Cons

As is the job of selling financial intangibles, you have to work hard and put in the hours. There is a lot to learn and you must do it on the run. As for cons, relative to any other financial service job or company, none come to mind.

Management is open to conversation and quick and willing to give help and advice. My only comment would be to keep it up. Their dedication to keeping MWA members (and me) happy is a wonderful thing.

Endless opportunities but make no money

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Long history...fraternal benefits...cares about the elderly

Cons

Straight commission, never any fresh leads, cold calling, lack of leadership from managing partner and regional director. Upper management uses and abuses "young" talent.

Update the company structure and get some marketing. No one knows who Modern Woodmen is.

Financial representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get paid based on how hard you work. Benefits are out of this World. I have a pension and they pay for all of my health insurance. I get to give the companies money to the communty as a way to advertise myself. Unbeatable products.

Cons

You get paid for how hard you work. nowhere to hide. takes someone who really wants to be successful, not just do “ok”