Modern Woodmen

Updated 2 September 2014
Updated 2 September 2014
3.9

W. Kenny Massey

Endless opportunities but make no money

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Long history...fraternal benefits...cares about the elderly

Cons

Straight commission, never any fresh leads, cold calling, lack of leadership from managing partner and regional director. Upper management uses and abuses "young" talent.

Update the company structure and get some marketing. No one knows who Modern Woodmen is.

After one year with Modern Woodmen, I find it an outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Pittsburg, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than a year

Pros

The focus of Modern Woodmen is to help its members. Other financial firms are many times only concerned with selling. The clear message in everything about Modern Woodmen from the top down is this. The more you help people (by working hard, being honest and treating everyone with dignity and respect) the more you will get in return. The fraternal side of MWA is a huge asset to both it's sales force and it's customers. If you're not familiar with the "fraternal" aspect of Modern Woodmen, do some research. I've found the right place to work.

Cons

As is the job of selling financial intangibles, you have to work hard and put in the hours. There is a lot to learn and you must do it on the run. As for cons, relative to any other financial service job or company, none come to mind.

Management is open to conversation and quick and willing to give help and advice. My only comment would be to keep it up. Their dedication to keeping MWA members (and me) happy is a wonderful thing.

Financial representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Carmel, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paid based on how hard you work. Benefits are out of this World. I have a pension and they pay for all of my health insurance. I get to give the companies money to the communty as a way to advertise myself. Unbeatable products.

Cons

You get paid for how hard you work. nowhere to hide. takes someone who really wants to be successful, not just do “ok”

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and decent bonuses and incentives to sale

Cons

Straight commission sales could use more products

N/A.....pretty good people and managers overall

Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

Cons

No financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Once agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid conservative well funnded company

Cons

Half the normal commissions with very poor lead assistance.

Unless you supply good very fresh leads, you should pay higher commissions or at least a base salary.

Good job to learn the business but hard

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training and support. The office where I was at has nothing to do with how the company as a whole is ran. I actually went to home office had a personal lunch with Kenny Massey, and he and the other home office staff were all great people.

Cons

You need to have a lot of money to back you, so when you have to spend it on advertising and tons of other expenses. Although I was a top producing Agent and in our monthly magazine, it was still a hard financial burden topped with a lie of family life balance.

Learn to help your new agents more, stop worrying about the people who kiss your ass to get on you good side, as they talk down about producing agents and try to back-stab them. I left due to this, and I busted my ass putting my family on the side and worked 80hr weeks and worked Saturday and Sunday. All the time. Good place to gain, but not to thrive from.

Genuine people centered around genuine core values

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very rewarding. Amount of effort put in equals the amount of rewards you reap. No salary cap, great benefits, very caring colleagues. There is always someone willing to lend a hand to help. Genuine people that truly believe in the company's core values and principles. Work environment is very different, but positive and motivating, compared to traditional companies. Teaches you to be approachable, but also how to effectively communicate with others. Very flexible schedule; you set your own.

Cons

Hard when first starting to build your network and business. Initial out-of-pocket expenses may be higher. Business expense tax write-off only counts for the following year. Lots of travel is involved. Must set own appointments.

For managing-partners, stay supportive to your own representatives. For regional directors, stay supportive and offer words of encouragement to those who work under you. Always work as a team and share experiences to help each other.

Good place to provide real value to others in your community.

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Rock Island, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Rock Island, IL (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent reputation in communities. Meaningful Fraternal benefits to members.

Cons

Not always competitive on premium rates and product selection.

Less focus on management and more focus on the sales force. Too many Regions that produce next to nothing for the company. Resources allocated to Regional Managers do not directly impact or benefit sales force. Reduce # of Regions and use those funds to support agents through better HO service, and admin assistance in Managing Partner's offices.

Opportunity of a life time

Current Employee - FIN  in  Lincoln, NE (US)
    Current Employee - FIN in Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Modern Woodmen rewards good, honest, intelligent effort. I was tired of working for organizations who took advantage of the value that I brought to their business. With Modern Woodmen, I have a great opportunity to better my community, help my clients, and be paid what I am worth. In addition, Modern Woodmen has given me all the tools and training that I need to run a successful business. Having been exposed to several advisors in other regions and the staff at the Home Office, Modern Woodmen is truly an organization that lives up to the high character I expect out of an employer.

Cons

Good, honest, intelligent effort is hard to identify. It is a fact that this career path is not for everyone. Within the first few months, our advisors are personally challenged. How one responds to that challenge says a lot about an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to take that first step.

Who you attract is not determined by what you want, but determined by who you are. Continue to lead with integrity, character, and energy.

Worked for Modern Woodmen? Contribute to the Community!