Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 31 August 2014
Updated 31 August 2014

2.7

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 8 reviews)

• job security, average pay package, good benefits, just like working in DMV or public sector company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Mid- and senior management are complete morons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

GOOD

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time

Pros

PTO and flexible hours for fulltime only

Cons

Some managers and bosses do not interact with the employees

nothing

Trouble in Tampa upper management Urealistic and Uncaring

Former Employee - Health Manager  in  Tampa Palms, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Health Manager in Tampa Palms, FL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and CEO is a doctor

Cons

Large caseloads, unrealistic expectations. If you do a good job they recognize you by giving you more work. No life work balance. Time off is a joke if you are on salary. If you take time off then you still have your work facing you when you return. There are lots of people leaving because they are overworked and unappreciated.

Look at how many people have left in the last 6 months. Treat your employees with respect and give realistic expectations for work assignments. Stop adding more requirements and streamline the documentation process. Upper management makes the job impossible to do. They just put everything on the supervisors and in turn gets added to Health Managers already full plate. There are no plans to try to keep good employees. They are blind that so many have left and more will continue to leave under this type of leadership. There is a real problem and no one is trying to fix it.

If you like babysitting then you will love Molina

Former Employee - Healthcare Data Analyst II  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Healthcare Data Analyst II in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a contractor I make exceptionally good money. Great place to work as a contractor. I made double what the preferment employees made for doing the same work.

Diverse environment. Many women, Hispanics and blacks. Many of them are in management. Very innovative in a few areas. Generally good technology.

Cons

After my contract ended I decided not to take a permanent position with the company even though I loved my boss. The company is dysfunctional and it directly impacts the work environment.

The term babysitting is often used at Molina. It means two things. Employees that you depend on to get work done are not self-starters and you must follow up with them. HUGE problem is that management makes you responsible for babysitting and will hold you accountable for other employee mistakes.

There are also many employees with behavioral problems. One of the biggest issues when I worked there was the noise level at the Hughes Way office. Many employees noticed this issue. Many employees were very loud to the point where it disrupted other workers. Corporate culture in at this building was insane.

Management does not address issues, such as babysitting and noise level. The refuse to work as a group to make solve problems and improve the work environment.

These and other factors severely undermine morale. Specific issues:

Took three weeks after I started to get my laptop and turn in my loaner
    Once I received my laptop the software I needed was not installed and IT had trouble completing this task
    Too three weeks to deliver my monitors so I had to work on the laptop screen for weeks
    Took almost a week to get my badge so employees did not have to buzz me in

My suggestion is to avoid this company unless you are taking a management position.

Pay very close attention to employee morale. Little things like turning down the lights and turning up the air conditioning send a message that employees are not worth it. Trust me when I tell you that many employees feel that management does not care about non-management employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company and people.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Reston, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reston, VA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started working as a part time pharmacy technician with while still in college. My supervisor was very understanding when it came to school responsibilities and not only allowed me a fairly versatile schedule, but was also very encouraging. Upon graduation I was offered a full time job in a difficult economy. They see their employees as an important investment and disperse their profits down the ladder. They offer great health benefits, retirement accounts, ESPP, discounts, and rewards.

Cons

As can be expected, some supervisors can have some negative qualities, but if brought up to them or their supervisor, they will take steps to better the working environment.

Since Molina Healthcare is a publicly traded company, sometimes daily activities can be profit driven, especially towards the end of fiscal periods. This can add stress to life, but is offset by the fact that they offer ESPP.

Keep up the family-driven management style.

Data Entry

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoy helping people in need

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Take a look at how your management is running your company. Just because they are hitting numbers doesn't mean they are treating your staff they way they deserve to be treated.

Molina Michigan used to be a wonderful place to work, but certainly not anymore. My advice - STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Clerical  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Clerical in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Office location is good, benefits ok, work hours ok.

Cons

Where do I start - Leadership is not "Leadership". HR is useless. Management does not hold people accountable for their workload, bad attitudes, insobordination to manager/supervisor, constant cell phone usage w/loud dissruptive conversations. Department is losing dependable, long-term staff due to the lack of communication and what is being allowed to continue. The more non-productive, disrespectful, rude (to Providers/co-workers), non-team player you are - the better you are treated by Management. I do not understand why this is allowed. HR will do nothing, and they are allowed to continue creating a stressful work environment. Why is it allowed to come in (clock in) and go eat breakfast for 30 minutes, while others have to work. Complaints have been lodged with management, management is aware of these individuals - yet nothing has been, or will be done. I am not just speaking of recently, this has been evolving for some time. I would not recommend anyone to work there.

HR needs to be responsible and become a "real" Human Resources Department". Management needs to act like they are Management, starting with the VP and on down to the Supervisors. Terminate those that need to be terminated, make the necessary changes, and reprimands needed to make Molina MI what it used to be. Management needs to listen to employees and respond, especially those that they know are hardworking team players. Get it together!

Do NOT Work For This Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for this employer in two locations: Washington and California. I can't say enough good things about the WASHINGTON locations. I felt valued and respected as a team member and I felt the management was really trying to better the culture of the company and respect their employees.

Cons

However, the experience I had working for this company in CALIFORNIA was the exact opposite. The corporate culture was oppressive and inflexible. I was illegally fired when I was 7 months pregnant after over a year of being shifted around to various positions that were well below my skill level because the company couldn't get it together enough to finally start the position I was transferred to this location for. I was repeatedly treated like I was an inexperienced and low-level employee, despite having education and experience higher than many of the management staff. I feel that this company, in general, does NOT respect its employees and I would not at all suggest that anybody take a job here if you want to feel like you're a valued member of a team.

Abusive and Poor Management

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Trenton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Trenton, NJ (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours are good. Company provides water and coffee. And they allow you to use the bathroom as long as you do not use it from 8 to 9 am, 12 to 2pm, 4-5 pm. If you need to use the bathroom during the time slots they tell you not to go but if do need to go you need a doctors note!!!!

Cons

Manager is biggest stumbling block. No focus, takes credit for your work. Manager tells you good job but then immediately points out some trivial flaw in your work which makes you not want to work harder. Lack of leadership. Expect 1-2 percent raises if all goes well. This is how expenses are kept down. Bonus is 75 percent company determined and 25 percent employee driven. Why work hard if you get 75 percent irregardless. Abusive and accusatory culture permeates the company. Need to dot your i and cross your T well.

Get rid of management. Need some people with more experience and know how to motivate people.

horrible culture, ethics, work environment

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

a job that pays and some some beneifts

Cons

management is horrible
    the hvac doesn't work
    employees stab each other in the back
    corporate culture does not bleed to local culture of this office
    pigeon holing
    middle management is clueless and their hands are tied on all matters
    i could go on but you should have an idea by now.

quit or get fired- either way, just don't be there. you suck at managing anyone and should all diaf.

Decent job, but problems working with Corporate office

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Values, no micro-managing. Some employees are very talented and many are very nice people. The office location is great.

Cons

Top management are too self-involved. They don't care too much about their reports - don't want any details about the work their reports actually do, just "get it done".

You need to be more involved with the people who work under you. There also needs to be some structure and agreement about what corporate office is responsible for and what the plan level is responsible for. Too many tasks and responsibilities get pushed down to the plan level without notice or preparation.

Worked for Molina Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!