Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
Updated 28 August 2014

2.8

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 8 reviews)

• job security, average pay package, good benefits, just like working in DMV or public sector company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Mid- and senior management are complete morons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

This has got to be the strangest place I haveever worked

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, decent pay. The president of the company is the coolest guy ever!

Cons

After you have received absolutely NO training at all. They take you into a room and evaluate you. They point out everything you have never been taught and make you feel like crap. Once you finally get the hang of things, mind you, because they have finally taught you something by criticizing the crap out of you (Criticism is your technical training). At your next evaluation, they tell you everything you've done wrong again...while you feel like you have helped the world, and have worked very hard....Management can't see it for being so focused on the negative. It is very sad. They seem to promote people based on how easy they are to work with, instead of promoting those who are qualified and really deserve the job. Also, I always feel like, somebody's watchhhhing meeee.......And I have no privacy. Most people I have spoken to are disgusted. It would behoove you to stay to yourself in a place like that. They go ask people if they want to be promoted instead of posting jobs so everyone has a fair shot. It is almost equivalent to the Stepford Wives.

Promote people based upon their knowledge skills and abilities.

Claims Adjudicator

Current Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Patience, persistent and Investigative, Growing, and Accepting

Cons

Hesitant, naive and unassuming, Old Fashion, Unbending

Be Open

GOOD

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time

Pros

PTO and flexible hours for fulltime only

Cons

Some managers and bosses do not interact with the employees

nothing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like babysitting then you will love Molina

Former Employee - Healthcare Data Analyst II  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Healthcare Data Analyst II in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a contractor I make exceptionally good money. Great place to work as a contractor. I made double what the preferment employees made for doing the same work.

Diverse environment. Many women, Hispanics and blacks. Many of them are in management. Very innovative in a few areas. Generally good technology.

Cons

After my contract ended I decided not to take a permanent position with the company even though I loved my boss. The company is dysfunctional and it directly impacts the work environment.

The term babysitting is often used at Molina. It means two things. Employees that you depend on to get work done are not self-starters and you must follow up with them. HUGE problem is that management makes you responsible for babysitting and will hold you accountable for other employee mistakes.

There are also many employees with behavioral problems. One of the biggest issues when I worked there was the noise level at the Hughes Way office. Many employees noticed this issue. Many employees were very loud to the point where it disrupted other workers. Corporate culture in at this building was insane.

Management does not address issues, such as babysitting and noise level. The refuse to work as a group to make solve problems and improve the work environment.

These and other factors severely undermine morale. Specific issues:

Took three weeks after I started to get my laptop and turn in my loaner
    Once I received my laptop the software I needed was not installed and IT had trouble completing this task
    Too three weeks to deliver my monitors so I had to work on the laptop screen for weeks
    Took almost a week to get my badge so employees did not have to buzz me in

My suggestion is to avoid this company unless you are taking a management position.

Pay very close attention to employee morale. Little things like turning down the lights and turning up the air conditioning send a message that employees are not worth it. Trust me when I tell you that many employees feel that management does not care about non-management employees.

Great company and people.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Reston, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reston, VA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started working as a part time pharmacy technician with while still in college. My supervisor was very understanding when it came to school responsibilities and not only allowed me a fairly versatile schedule, but was also very encouraging. Upon graduation I was offered a full time job in a difficult economy. They see their employees as an important investment and disperse their profits down the ladder. They offer great health benefits, retirement accounts, ESPP, discounts, and rewards.

Cons

As can be expected, some supervisors can have some negative qualities, but if brought up to them or their supervisor, they will take steps to better the working environment.

Since Molina Healthcare is a publicly traded company, sometimes daily activities can be profit driven, especially towards the end of fiscal periods. This can add stress to life, but is offset by the fact that they offer ESPP.

Keep up the family-driven management style.

Data Entry

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoy helping people in need

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Take a look at how your management is running your company. Just because they are hitting numbers doesn't mean they are treating your staff they way they deserve to be treated.

Do NOT Work For This Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for this employer in two locations: Washington and California. I can't say enough good things about the WASHINGTON locations. I felt valued and respected as a team member and I felt the management was really trying to better the culture of the company and respect their employees.

Cons

However, the experience I had working for this company in CALIFORNIA was the exact opposite. The corporate culture was oppressive and inflexible. I was illegally fired when I was 7 months pregnant after over a year of being shifted around to various positions that were well below my skill level because the company couldn't get it together enough to finally start the position I was transferred to this location for. I was repeatedly treated like I was an inexperienced and low-level employee, despite having education and experience higher than many of the management staff. I feel that this company, in general, does NOT respect its employees and I would not at all suggest that anybody take a job here if you want to feel like you're a valued member of a team.

Decent job, but problems working with Corporate office

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Values, no micro-managing. Some employees are very talented and many are very nice people. The office location is great.

Cons

Top management are too self-involved. They don't care too much about their reports - don't want any details about the work their reports actually do, just "get it done".

You need to be more involved with the people who work under you. There also needs to be some structure and agreement about what corporate office is responsible for and what the plan level is responsible for. Too many tasks and responsibilities get pushed down to the plan level without notice or preparation.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I have worked here as an intern for one year and I love it. The culture is amazing and management is very helpful and a lot of fun to work with.

Cons

They don't have a big budget for certain projects.

Keep up the good work!

A great place to work.

I worked at Molina Healthcare

Pros

This is a very family-friendly company.

Cons

Disparate organizations in support roles.

Centralize your support (e.g., technical, IT) organizations. The same support structures can be found in Texas, Louisiana and Utah. Coordination becomes difficult.

Worked for Molina Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!