www.molinahealthcare.com

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 22 November 2014
Updated 22 November 2014
2.6

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 9 reviews)

• They have good benefits,nice people to work with and chance for growth (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Worst work-life balance I've ever had the displeasure to experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

medicare customer service representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

getting to assist many people on a daily basis with their needs

Cons

training was not up to 100%

Make sure all employees are properly trained.

Poorly Managed

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you want to work for a company with growth potential then this is the place. They will experience huge revenue increases since they administer government funded health insurance. The growth potential is only limited by their marketing team and their ability to land new contracts with new states. This company will be in business for a long time.

Cons

Very poorly management. Steer clear of this company. If you choose to work for this company be very careful regarding management. Make sure you get a good feeling regarding the hiring management and your future boss.

I worked hard for this company. During my current job search my previous boss provided a bad recommendation. Very surprising and luckily a company I was applying to gave me the heads-up. It is etiquette to provide no information rather than a poor recommendation. This is a very poorly managed company (which you can verify from other reviews). Employee morale is very low.

Sabotaging a previous employees job search is despicable. This is an incredibly difficult company for employees that care about doing a good job.

Focus on employee morale. I never heard about anonymous surveys performed by this company. Perhaps some departments look for feedback but mine did not. Pay very close attention to their suggestions.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Ter, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Ter, IL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many employees truly believe in the mission that Molina pretends to portray, that of helping the poor, underserved community.

Cons

Behind the scenes in the management and corporate environment, it was apparent that the "Molina Family" cares nothing about the underserved population or it's altruistic, hard working employees. Unfortunately, it is all about making a buck for the CEOS and corporate team. Molina is at least 20 years behind the times in data and technology which makes it impossible to manage healthcare effectively in today's environment. The corporate team is all about blaming of employees instead of support and getting the job done.

Get out of the business of caring for poor people and go live on Wall Street.

Molina Healthcare

Current Employee - Community Outreach in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Community Outreach in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Company to work in

Cons

No Cons associated with this job opportunity

Hardwork is key

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service in Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talk to a friend who likes her job.

Cons

Medicaid is tough work and you need training.

Not recommended for the long haul

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I don't know where all the people writing positive reviews worked, but they're not describing the place where I worked for eight years. Working here is like being an intern. You don't get paid much, but hopefully you'll learn enough to go somewhere else and make a living wage.

Cons

The pay starts off bad and it only gets worse. Don't bother applying for internal promotions, because you won't be paid what outside applicants would be paid for the same job. I know several people making below the minimum of their positions salary range. Also, HR has a policy where they max you out at 10% of your current salary for a promotion. So if you get a significant promotion, chances are you will NOT be paid what the position is worth. And with annual raises between 1-3%, you will fall further and further behind the market trends. I know, because when I finally wised up and left, I was offered the same position at another insurance making $28,000 per year more. That is not a typo. I had three internal promotions in eight years, and they screwed me over every time.

Treat internal candidates by the same rules as external candidates.

Trouble in Tampa upper management Urealistic and Uncaring

Former Employee - Health Manager in Tampa Palms, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Health Manager in Tampa Palms, FL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and CEO is a doctor

Cons

Large caseloads, unrealistic expectations. If you do a good job they recognize you by giving you more work. No life work balance. Time off is a joke if you are on salary. If you take time off then you still have your work facing you when you return. There are lots of people leaving because they are overworked and unappreciated.

Look at how many people have left in the last 6 months. Treat your employees with respect and give realistic expectations for work assignments. Stop adding more requirements and streamline the documentation process. Upper management makes the job impossible to do. They just put everything on the supervisors and in turn gets added to Health Managers already full plate. There are no plans to try to keep good employees. They are blind that so many have left and more will continue to leave under this type of leadership. There is a real problem and no one is trying to fix it.

Abusive and Poor Management

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Trenton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Trenton, NJ (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are good. Company provides water and coffee. And they allow you to use the bathroom as long as you do not use it from 8 to 9 am, 12 to 2pm, 4-5 pm. If you need to use the bathroom during the time slots they tell you not to go but if do need to go you need a doctors note!!!!

Cons

Manager is biggest stumbling block. No focus, takes credit for your work. Manager tells you good job but then immediately points out some trivial flaw in your work which makes you not want to work harder. Lack of leadership. Expect 1-2 percent raises if all goes well. This is how expenses are kept down. Bonus is 75 percent company determined and 25 percent employee driven. Why work hard if you get 75 percent irregardless. Abusive and accusatory culture permeates the company. Need to dot your i and cross your T well.

Get rid of management. Need some people with more experience and know how to motivate people.

Mixed experience good and bad

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great benefits, full of opportunity to grow and succeed.

Cons

IT upper middle and lower management are terrible, condone and practice nepotism to its fullest extent, they also retaliate and get rid of anyone opposing their agendas regardless of the effort that people make to uphold company's standards.

Get rid of all of them in IT, they are nothing but HOLLYWOOD and as such waste precious company talent and money to line their own and also their friends and family

This has got to be the strangest place I haveever worked

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, decent pay. The president of the company is the coolest guy ever!

Cons

After you have received absolutely NO training at all. They take you into a room and evaluate you. They point out everything you have never been taught and make you feel like crap. Once you finally get the hang of things, mind you, because they have finally taught you something by criticizing the crap out of you (Criticism is your technical training). At your next evaluation, they tell you everything you've done wrong again...while you feel like you have helped the world, and have worked very hard....Management can't see it for being so focused on the negative. It is very sad. They seem to promote people based on how easy they are to work with, instead of promoting those who are qualified and really deserve the job. Also, I always feel like, somebody's watchhhhing meeee.......And I have no privacy. Most people I have spoken to are disgusted. It would behoove you to stay to yourself in a place like that. They go ask people if they want to be promoted instead of posting jobs so everyone has a fair shot. It is almost equivalent to the Stepford Wives.

Promote people based upon their knowledge skills and abilities.