Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014
2.7

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 8 reviews)

• job security, average pay package, good benefits, just like working in DMV or public sector company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Mid- and senior management are complete morons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Working here for 2 years

Current Employee - API  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - API in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working offices. Supervisor support when needed. Good place to start your career to learn and earn experience.

Cons

Underpaid in some cases. They pay you low but expect you work much more than the level they advertised in job posts. They take advantage of your capabilities to do complicated work as much as they can without thinking how to have a corespondent compensation for these!!! As a result, good employees have to leave for better opportunities. Second, they refuse to pay you overtime even though they know you have to work overtime to complete their assignments. Finally you have to take work home without pay if you want not to look bad in front of them, which will affect your humble benefits. Stupid coaching and training system which just creates un-realistic imagination to fill in the coaching forms, cost time, money, create unnecessary pressure, but doesn't bring any effectiveness and improvements.

Please think about your employees. If they can do the jobs which nobody in the department can, please consider a fair compensation for them.

Molina Family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare

Pros

personal growth, learning, people, culture, environment

Cons

in-house training classes need some restructuring

Print and Fulfillment department dissolved and outsourced

Current Employee - Print and Fulfillment Specialist  in  Bothell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Print and Fulfillment Specialist in Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were some extremely experienced team members who were able to handle huge challenges, and I learned a lot from them in the year I was there.

Cons

In 2014 it was decided to dissolve the in-house print and fulfillment department and outsource it. So as of summer 2014, it simply doesn't exist.
    One of the problems the department had was a cliquish attitude. There was a high school-style "in" group, which got old.
    Another issue was the lack of understanding (or willingness to understand) the time needed to produce custom printed materials on the part of the other offices in the company. There was also a great deal of disorganization. (Perhaps that will be improved on by the vendor who is taking over the department.)

Set up an online materials request web site, with requester profiles which include their department, what they have ordered in the past, and subscriptions to materials they'd like to order in the future - so they'll get a 'ping' when someone else in their office places an order for something, they can jump in and order at the same time. Getting a small order for something, followed a week later by another small request for the same thing, is inefficient and not cost effective.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LPN

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Nurse  in  Bothell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Nurse in Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice professional people to work with

Cons

Constant rotation of staff as many leave Molina

Worst plantation ever

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad

Cons

Mid- and senior management are complete morons. Employees are slaves expected to just nod their heads and say "Yes massuh" to every idiotic order. Employees are never consulted when processes are changed and do not feel valued. Employees at this health plan are leaving in droves. Office politics are not even thinly disguised, and your advancement is based on who you know. They keep the dysfunctional employees and run off the good ones. I will be gone as soon as I find another job.

Advice to corporate: Clean house.

Awful workplace

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Springfield, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Springfield, IL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, benefits, Co workers, members, volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Management, senior leadership, no training, all employees are referred, segregation amongst departments, no communication amongst departments

Listen to your staff. Ask them questions better yet you should know the job better than your staff. Nothing is worse than asking your manager for assistance and being given the wrong information. You're not that busy, your job is to manage not 8hr meetings all day. Communicate with the staff what goes on in those meetings. Have your staff back. They know the job better than you. Stop talking behind all your staff back and gossiping with your referrals. It does get out when we're out on breaks. We know you aren't smart. We know the ones that's skating by. We won't cover for you and do your work for you while you take the credit. You should talk to the other department managers to find out what the others are responsible for. Know your workflow and other departments as well. At least know where you can find it. Lastly, learn how to comprehend. Don't just read understand what you're reading. Mayer fact take the time to read before you hit the reply button. We don't have time to continously train our new managers.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good employee health benefits and PTO, good sales manager that tried hard to help.

Cons

Pay, commission is not what it should be for the same position at another carrier. Molina has no specialist and seemed to not worry about it. They had a scam provider directory that few doctors are actually accepting the MMOP members.. High stress due to lack of providers.

Get specialist that out PCP's can refer to. It's pathetic. Get transition of care. Medicare requires these things and eventually it's going to catch up to Molina, it will not be good. Distribute a directory that is correct and not a sham!

Nightmare

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay and benefits if your single

Cons

people are rude unprofessional, no stability no one follows dress code, to many bosses, work is unreal not enough training for job

Be more supportive, recognize everyone not just certain indiivduals.Get more training on being a supervisior or people skills

Molina Medicaid Positions

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Depending on location, employees were pleasant to be around. There was a lot of community type activities being done in my location which made a person feel like a part of group.
    Pay was okay. Benefits were expensive.

Cons

Molina Medicaid management were dishonest with employees.

HONESTY.

Room for Improvement

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Molina hires some great talent who take pride in doing an excellent job and give 110%. There are some long-term employees there who have made Molina their career and will retire from the organization. There are some great mentors within the organization.

Cons

The pay is incredibly poor. If I weren't married, I would be on Medicaid. Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management. The company recently discontinued the award recognition program for employees on the basis that it was not cost-effective and there is no longer any incentive to go above and beyond. Employees do not feel appreciated but they do feel overworked.

Bring back some sort of recognition program for employees. Do not make promises that cannot be kept. And please take another look at your compensation program as it is not market-driven but profit-driven for the executives.

Worked for Molina Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!