MoneyGram International

Be The First To
Add Photos

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley

Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of labor resources

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGreat people for the most part

ConsZero time for any personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementDallas is not ground zero for talent

Excellent people to work with. It went down the tube after the financial fiasco.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the people I worked with including my boss. We all helped each other. It was very multilingual and multicultural and loved the atmosphere. Great benefits.

ConsPay raise was almost close to nothing every year. Upper management didn't really care about us little people. All they cared about their bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. They are outsourcing everything.

Overpromised, under deliver and can't stop tripping over themselves...

ProsPay is competitive for my level...Work is something interesting and challenging.

ConsIn-fighting between the business and IT. No communication within the IT org among the execs - seriously, they sit on the same floor in the same building but they don't communicate. The politicking is horrendous. It is like being in Washington DC.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you had to send a business analyst to one of your sites to ask why people are leaving....wow. Minds are blown all over the place...really?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MGI SUCKS TOO MANY POLITICS AND RACIST

Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) Frisco, TX (US)

ProsHmmm can't think of any

ConsManagers never hold anyone accountable and tends to fire a lot of people of color although they are the ones doing the majority of the work... If you want to get promoted good luck if you are not kissing upper-management butt... Trainers suck and tend to have less experienced then 85% of employees.. The company continues hiring individuals who have no experience in the role they are doing and thus making FTE pick up the slack.... Management continues to develop so called tools that help employees but only slows us down... Company is just bad what else can I say... Nobody respects management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop picking favorites and do your damn job. Fire the correct individuals and promote the workers busting their butt and doing the job correctly. Why have team leads if they are idiots. Also learn to be managers and manage. Most the time managers tend to look down on hard working employees who put in the hours but they have other employees who walk around gossip and talk for hours at their desk and they still have their job.

Worst place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis Park, MN (US)

ProsNothing that I could think of.

Cons1) Always change in the management
    2) The leadership team never works hard and is not working towards adding value to the company. They always think about their personal gains.
    3) The leaders form a cozy club. They provide new career opportunities, promotion and pay rise among themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire and respect good resources. Without good resources no company will survive

Embattled Company with too many ongoing corporate risks and overstretched management

Corporate Counsel (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsDynamic industry with lots of potential, especially for a 2nd player to a much larger leader.

ConsManagement is unprepared to lead company strategy and employees, proven by many of my colleagues leaving, many shareholder lawsuits, $100 mil fine, DOJ Monitor for 5 years, over-reliance on WalMart, disbanding of departments with no consideration for employees....

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the quality of the team and the way it approaches business on all scales, not just patching up symptoms.

The Management is not interested in their employees at all. If you have any question, idea, issue they do not want it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsVacation, a lot when you first start.

ConsNo leadership, No communication, No flexibility, No employee interest, a lot of "leadership" talking behind employees backs with other employees and promotions are given to cover quota not filling with employee's by qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees. The ones who do the day to day are the ones you should be getting advice from. Be more involved in their personal lives you have a lot of good people who have everyday issues just like you do but because they are not at your level they do not have the flexibility you do.

It's 'okay'...I guess

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsMostly good people, good pay, decent benefits, good PTO offering. Committed to compliance and consumer education regarding scams.

ConsLimited number of company Holidays (6), always reactive versus proactive when responding to the competitive landscape, little to no visibility into upper management, lots of politics throughout the company, lack of communication throughout company. Company culture doesn't seem to have been fully defined - it seems to differ by department.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better establish the company culture. Offer more training to develop leaders/managers in the company.

Dysfunctional, Archaic Culture, Little Direction

IT (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThere are some nice people,

ConsThis has to be one of the most archaic cultures you will find. If you want long hours, below market compensation, only 6 paid holidays and poor, indecisive, but secretive elitist management, then this is the place for you. Consider working there at your own risk. It will seem fine going in, but you will quickly question your decision. They are hiring because the turnover is high and their compensation is below market for nearly all of their roles. I was in IT and I saw and heard how disgruntled the full-time workers were throughout the company with salary, benefits and the micromanaging culture. Also, the Wal-Mart impact is bigger than what they are telling everyone. They are going to layoff and outsource jobs soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure what you can tell people who get paid a ton of money and won't listen or pay attention to what they see, namely the high turnover.

Cost cutting - To what end

Technical Support (Current Employee) Brooklyn Center, MN (US)

ProsOverall, the co-workers I deal with are great. My supervisors over the last 10+ years have been pretty good. Benefits are not bad.

ConsBenefits have steadily eroded since I joined. Less vacation time. Higher premiums for Insurance. Fewer opportunities. Fewer paid holidays.

Morale is horrible throughout the company.

Information is sketchy and rumors spread like wildfire.

Weak executive leadership that is absolutely horrible at communicating with customers or employees.

Lack of direction. Trying to react to market with "me too" solutions. No innovation.

Outmoded systems.

Total lack of respect for front-line employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Quit thinking about your next bonus and the next quarter. Maybe it is time to think long - term strategy. This is a business that will likely boom as more and more people in the US are forced away from the traditional banking system. But you won't be part of it if you lose your biggest and best customers today.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!