Morphotek Reviews

6 reviews filtered by
3.2
Nicholas C. Nicolaides

1. Like anywhere, it has its good days and bad days

I have been working at Morphotek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Weather delays/closures when warranted
    Vacation allowance is ok

Cons

Favoritism
    Silos exist
    Squeaky wheel mentality when that isn't always the best solution

Advice to Management

Don't allow those with direct access to your office or the loudest voice be the only voice you hear

2. Now what?

Former Employee - Clinical Research in Exton, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Research in Exton, PA (US)

I worked at Morphotek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I read the reviews about how great it is to work at Morphotek and I agree. Got to work from home at least one day a week. They buy lunch sometimes and have lots of fun things to do during the day like pool and foozeball. But we start to wonder if that's because there really isn't anything much to do any more. It's great if you want an easy day with good pay. It's owned by a bigger company from Japan now so that might provide more stability for what was once a small company. Easy to get to. Benefits are same as a big pharmaceutical company. Vacation given is pretty good. The people are good and some smart people work there. The CEO tries to keep people happy by having fun events during the day.

Cons

...but how long can the company last? It's public knowledge that the clinical trials have failed. Employees want to hear what is next so they will decide to stay. The pay practices and promotion processes seem based on who is liked by senior people and don't seem based on how well you do. It's a big concern to me that there have been so many laid off and not replaced in the past few months. Budgets have been slashed. We needed to hear a positive message. Why is the CEO always working from home?

Advice to Management

put away the "suggestion boxes" you have put up and set up some one on one meetings to ask people what they think. tell us what's going on so good people might stay. give us the real deal on what is happening. be visible and transparent.

3. Takes care of its own... if you are a FTE

Former Contractor - Biochemistry Development Technician in Exton, PA (US)
    Former Contractor - Biochemistry Development Technician in Exton, PA (US)

I worked at Morphotek as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

In general the people are great, small company politics as usual are a positive and negative. Day to day perks like company-wide activities and happy hours. Frustrations with being a contractor (see "cons") at least were not part of daily lab work; same responsibilities as my FTE peers, same recognition within the group (until it came to compensation or training / travel).

Cons

Was hired in 2010 as a contractor (through Aerotek), made the same hourly rate over the 2.5 yrs I spent at the company. A hiring freeze was initiated within a few months of my start date, so the "we always convert to FTE within 6-12 months" turned into a "sorry, we would if we could, but we won't". I watched my fellow contractors leave out of frustration one by one, until it was my turn to say goodbye too. Upper management made it clear through their actions / policies that contractors (with the same years of experience within the company) were not considered equal to FTEs.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your hard-working contractors are fully aware they are being treated like second class employees. A welcome change would be built in salary increases after say... 2 years of faithful service as a contractor. Or just hire them already.

5. Overall great environment, but at times questionable techniques.

I have been working at Morphotek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Great benefits. Competitive pay. Great perks (volleyball court, Foosball, pool table, summer BBQs). For the most part the people are great. Promotions exist and there is an annual bonus (based off company goals). PTO and STO is lumped together but you get a decent amount and they are pretty easy going about taking off (as long as you do your job). The facilities are very accommodating and comfortable as long as you're not picky or overly sensitive. Upper management strives to make the employees happy.

Cons

Someone hit the nail on the head in a previous review when they said "Shoot first, then ask questions... ...mentality". Some departments spend boatloads of money on products with zero planning then find out they cant use it. I feel that some people are over paid and others underpaid, but over all the pay is probably pretty fair. Company priorities are odd. Sometimes upper management is unwilling to put their foot down to practice accountability and deny ridiculous requests (ie. installing skylights in a rented building). From an employees perspective there is a lot of unnecessary spending (renovations and such). Certain people realized that if they go straight to upper management with their complaints they get whatever they want, no matter how unnecessary. Other people found out that if they purposely break their equipment they will get brand new replacements with absolutely no repercussions while honest people are stuck with the same antiquated hardware for years. Money is seemingly tight yet never an issue. Certain departments seem to be exempt from hiring freezes or other company wide limitations. I understand that some of these cons may just be part of reality, but in a company setting (controlled environment) they should be able to be limited or eliminated.

Sorry if this was a bit of a rant. Most of this may be considered nit picking. I'm not trying to bash or anything. This is a great company overall, but it's in human nature to focus on the negatives. That's how we make things better. In the big picture, this company is a fantastic place to work and far better than most.

Advice to Management

If you are going to spend loads of money, try to make it on things that will make employees more productive/happy (better equipment, salaries, bonuses, moral boosters) rather than making offices ridiculously large or putting skylights in rented buildings. Implement more accountability, it will save the company money and save certain people their sanity. Send out more anonymous inter company surveys to get more honest opinions. No one will tell the CEO their honest opinions to his face out of fear.... Not that he is mean, but it's just how things work.

6. Great people, bu typical faults of a young company

I worked at Morphotek

Pros

Great facilities and people. Compensation is extremely competitive.

Cons

Shoot first, then ask questions, then aim and shoot again mentality.

7. Great Place to Work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Exton, PA (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Exton, PA (US)

I have been working at Morphotek as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, awesome boss, and friendly co-workers. The salary is good for the type of work and hours, M-F 8a-5p. The lab I work in is state of the art with the latest equipment. My department is small and my team is the best.

Cons

I have to take 76 to get to and from work and traffic is terrible. There is a hiring freeze and I am hopeful it will be lifted so I can be brought on as a full-time employee.

Advice to Management

Hire people full time as apposed to contract so we don't lose them to other companies.