Motley Fool

Updated 11 December 2014
4.6

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A fantastic learning experience, but directions can change quickly

Current Employee - Contributor
    Current Employee - Contributor

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Total work/life flexibility and good pay. The company allows you to specialize in any industry. Management is supportive and open to new ideas.

Cons

As an offsite contract writer/analyst, I wish there were more team interactions and co-ordination. A sense of belonging is missing sometimes. A lot more could be achieved if this could be done. (Onsite employees may find the situation different. I work on a contract basis.) Advancement is slow.

It would be nice if the core team (in every sector/industry) specialize more in providing investment thesis that include valuations of companies. Please cut down on just delivering artfully written content and flashy headlines. The reader/investor needs more justice. Higher profile sectors (like tech.) should not be given higher weight-age.

The Best Place You'll Ever Work - Seriously

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A reviewer inferred that one could work anywhere else with the same or similar benefits. I thought about this comment a lot and realized that this is impossible. I've been at the Fool for over 3 years and can honestly say it's the best company I've ever worked for. I've never be in such a professional (I use this term loosely - the better word would be "Foolish") environment where people actually care about each other.

Leadership works hard to make sure that everyone is happy and fulfilled. They'll fund a Starbucks gift card if you take a "Fool" out that you don't know; teams are celebrated when they do a good job; you can order FREE (!!) books about whatever you want to read; there are monthly cake and pizza days and weekly free healthy snacks...many of our office perks also include subsidized monthly mani/pedis, bi-weekly masseuses, and an in-house Wellness Fool that teaches classes like yoga and kettlebells. The flexible schedule is also a really great benefit. It's nice to not be so worried about doctor's appointments, etc.

I see this year's hiring boost as a really great thing. Others may be pessimistic about so much growth, but the talent here is incredible if you look around. There's tons of opportunity in the future for both employees and the business to thrive.

Cons

Sometimes I'm unable to unplug from the office. Even though I may be out, I can't go long before I feel like I should check my messages. Many Fools work long hours, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. When you love your job, you feel more attracted to projects and motivated about work. You can really see this passion here.

Communication isn't always clear. A lot of decisions seem quickly acted upon, when maybe they should just be better explained.

I enjoy the open office plan but don't love the frequent office-moves - this is just a personal pet peeve. Teams relocate every 6 months. It can be hard to keep up, so successful employees have to be quick on their toes.

Keep growing but be more open about why - whether this is about hiring or other decisions. If there are questions lingering, it's probably worth holding a meeting about.

Company culture is awesome - I really see the Fool only going up from here.

I joined a company for life

Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Fool is a truly unique place where you are encouraged to forge your own path contributing to a purpose you believe in. People here respect each other and push to be challenged every day. The work is hard and fast paced. The benefits are top notch. Founders Tom and David Gardner are great people to work with for life. There is so much love here.

Cons

This isn't really a con - but for some it would be - You need to enjoy leading your own "career" looking for projects that matter. The Fool doesn't believe in a perfect manager making all your dreams come true. It is more on you to navigate the projects you love and are most qualified to do.

Keep the great communication coming about our daily challenges and long term growth.

Multiple internships, will be returning ASAP

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The Motley Fool puts people first. This means customers and employees. What makes them so fantastic to work for is the lack of any ridiculous corporate bureaucracy. Everyone is extremely humble no matter their position and want to know what they can do better. The culture (a word that they love and work so hard to perfect) is one that promotes bettering one's self. They do peer review multiple times a year, they have classes all the time taught by employees about pretty much anything that anyone can take, they have tons of fitness classes and play pick up soccer, basketball, and floor hockey every week, and always have fruit and other healthy snacks free to munch on.

Cons

Because of the unrestricted work schedule and ability to work from home, sometimes it was difficult tracking people down if you needed to collaborate. I don't really think this is an overall negative because the benefits of being able to work the hours that work for you and being able to remote in completely outweigh this one negative but it said I had to put something.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Do work you're passionate about, for a mission you believe in, alongside the best and brightest in their fields.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is one of drive, entrepreneurship, fun, and helping the world invest better. As an employee you are trusted and respected (you don't get treated like a child; you can wear what you want, show up and leave when you want, and there's no vacation policy). That gives you the confidence to go about your work in the best way suited for you, and success is strongly rewarded. Fun, competitive culture for sure.

Cons

Not many to speak of, but one I'd mention is the start-up culture at The Fool can lead to changing short-term goals from time-to-time.

Keep allowing your employees to voice their opinions, but also make sure current priorities align with our long-term objectives.

Excellent company, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (no vacation policy, treadmill desks, tons of free books), fantastic culture, great people. Lots of upward mobility, you really get to determine your future here. No two days are alike, work is very interesting. Overall no real complaints.

Cons

Everyone is firing in every direction so much that folks don't always establish processes as quickly as they should...but honestly, that's not really a huge downside.

Keep it up.

More than just perks

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool has a lot of great perks that are listed on this site and come up in the reviews. The thing you can't see on a list is the atmosphere of the company. You are surrounded by intelligent, down to earth people that make you better, every day. Your coworkers challenge you to keep improving yourself mentally, physically, and in your role. It is an ever changing job that keeps you interested for the long haul.

Cons

Mixing up roles can be stressful even if you know it's a good thing in the end. Just like moving to a new house is stressful even though you know it is better for you family.

Keep mixing things up but make sure to thoroughly communicate in a timely manner.

Change is on the horizon or so they say...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

Motley Fool is an awesome company to work for. For the most part, they value their people and ethics. More importantly, they believe in their mission and goal, which is to help the world invest better. Their determination is solid and they tirelessly finds ways to be better everyday.

Cons

They have policies that help and invest in their employees. Unfortunately, leadership is absent in some areas. For example, my department has lost their value in teamwork. It has become more of a working group. Both aspects have a shared goal; however, there is contrast. Working groups share ideas but are not interdependent. Furthermore, they still help each other but their focus is on individual results, goals and accountability. This type of practice is conducive to employees becoming part of an out-group. It's clear, at most times, who the favorites are. It almost seems tangible but when a group of people share the same feelings, it becomes real and palpable. No one wants to feel abandoned, alone or even neglected.

Effective leadership needs to be revisited and employed at every level. Leadership is about inspiring others and enabling others to act. Being part of an out-group is uninspiring but worse, having tenure and feeling unwanted, disrespected and unappreciated affects all levels of the organization. Compliment and give thanks to all employees daily. Leaders need to smile.

Great place to work – but not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I think it’s important to remember that no work environment is perfect for everyone. I have worked at The Motley Fool for more than a decade and here are the reasons I still love it here.

Amazing People – The people that I work with are some of the smartest, kindest and most dedicated I’ve ever met. In my work and even casual conversations I’m challenged and stimulated. Generally people that are jerks don’t last long around here because it’s just so counter to the culture.

Constant Learning – The posts here have focused around the “lack of career path.” This is really by design and I love it. The Fool is constantly trying to align talent of the individual with the needs of the business. For me that has lead me to jobs I would have never imagined and given me opportunities to learn and grow beyond my wildest dreams. I assumed when I started here that I would be in marketing for the rest of my life, but I’ve now done product strategy, customer service, human resources, and tech strategy. I look at my career now and think I can learn or do anything and my skill sets are so broad that I can speak across several different levels of any organization and connect business initiatives across departments

I can be myself – I bring 100% of me to work every day. "Me" is hard working and analytical, but also a little kooky, nerdy, silly. I’ve had jobs that I felt like I was leaving a part of myself at the door and that I was slowly become someone else that was hard and jaded. I don't feel that here. I can joke and play and still be taken seriously on a professional level too.

Transparency – I love knowing how we are doing and how my job feeds into that. Everyone is encouraged to know the top and bottom line of the company, how our business model works and how their job fits into the company's long and short term plans. In previous jobs I’ve had no idea we were doing poorly until layoffs were announced or no idea that we were doing well until some people got big bonuses – but not everyone. I love that our bonus structure is the same for everyone and if we do well everyone does well, and if we are in trouble everyone pulls together to cut costs.

Fun – I’m encouraged to have fun in my work and if I’m not having fun I’m encouraged to fix that.

Cons

Here are reasons you’ll be frustrated if you decide to work here and it's the wrong fit.

Speed – Things move fast ALL THE TIME. We are a performance culture. I like the challenge of that but if you think this is a “great culture” where work/life balance means that you don’t work hard, you’ll be disappointed. It is flexible and there is a lot of fun, but there is always a lot to do.

Change – I guess this goes with speed, but when something’s not working we change it. If we find a better way next week we change it again. This might lead to new jobs, new roles, new bosses, new initiatives frequently. I find that stimulating, but for some people it feels a little chaotic. If the seems energizing to you will like it here. If not you'll be confused and frustrated frequently.

Communication – With so much change and speed it’s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time. You have to be proactive and build networks within the company to keep up to date. But this is encouraged and I don’t ever feel like information is intentionally left out – only that it hasn’t caught up to the official channels.

Career Path – You never know exactly what your next step is around here, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t have opportunities. You won’t grow from representative to manager to VP to SVP to Chief something, but my experience is that I’ve seen consistent opportunities to learn, grow, and develop - and although a little confusing on paper, my career and skill sets have consistently grown along with my compensation.

As we grow it’s going to be more important to scale leadership transparency and communication. Things that came very naturally in the past may need a little more attention. I’ve seen some reviews in here about leadership and I think most of them come from a lack of understanding. In the past it was easy for everyone to say – “I sat in on an ExCom meeting and the intentions are good” I think it’s harder as we grow and as the company has more locations to maintain that same level of transparency and trust. I really don’t think it has changed – I just think as we grow it's harder to see the great and deliberate intent put into our strategies and decisions. Keep up the great work!

Great place to work, moves quickly.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced environment, where your roles and responsibilities may change frequently.

Cons

Can be stressful if you don't like change.