Myriad Genetics

Myriad Genetics President, CEO, and Director Peter D. Meldrum
Peter D. Meldrum

Good place to work

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Take good care of their employees,

Cons

Lot's of drama among lower level employees.

Good Luck

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Most people are hardworking and treat each other fairly. Pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

It is all about performance, if you get it done, you can treat people as poorly as you want, especially if you are in management. Most are fair, a few are way out there.

Great Idea Bad Exicution

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Myriad is patient centered company where they really do try to make sure that they are giving the best product that they can.

Cons

Lack of advancement and work/life balance for all. If you are an upper level employee Manager and above then you have it good. If you are below that level you are often at the whim of those above you. Mandatory OT and hiring Temps all the time rather than proper staffing so people can take time off. Almost never promotes from within unless you are a favorite. The revolving door of upper level managers Directors and VP's that are higher from outside that stay just long enough to find something better or send there time alienating other employees that have been here and know how to do there Jobs. Company Culture is all about making a buck as cheap as possible end of quarters usually end with holding back samples so that we don't out do what wall street wants. I would have left if I did not care about the patients and the economy was better.

Focus on internal development of employees they will stay longer and be happier also stop playing favorites. Peters principle is definitely in effect here. I know I am tired of being treated like a Mushroom if you know what I mean. Clear leadership from Pete M. and Mark C would be nice as well. MBOs would be great if they were based on something other then getting my VP there raise for the year while I see mine shrink every year as profits go up.

Really Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are nice and fun to work with. There is lots of room for growth. They are hands on with training and try to make sure you know as much as you possibly can before they put you on the computers. Benefits are great. Stalk options.

Cons

They are stingy with raises. There are metrics for raises and the raises aren't that great, and they are only every quarter. You have to be in a position for 9 months before you can move to a new position.

Don't micro manage. Not many of them do. Try to help your team, or someone on your team grow to a manager if that's what the eventually want to do.

If no desire to move up, would be satisfied

Current Employee - Data Technician in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Data Technician in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Surrounded by well established, and highly educated professionals. Great coworkers, decent benefits, and decent pay considering job responsibilities.

Cons

Very difficult to move up career ladder. Management plays "favorites" and depending on which department you begin in can "make or break" you in your desire for advancement.

More opportunities to move across departments or upward mobility. Treating all employees equally.

Super Repetitive

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician I in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician I in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Typically work 3 12hr shifts or 4 10hr shifts. Very easy job. Super repetitive.

Cons

Super repetitive, gets boring after a while. Supervisors are not afraid to tell you who there favorite is and treat others unfairly. Other technicians are very clique-y; almost feels like being in high school again.

Be more professional.

Overall, I was pleased with my time there and opportunities for advancement.

Former Employee - Scientist II in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist II in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life balance and smart people.

Cons

Low pay, distant and out of touch executives

Develop objective measures of performance, de-emphasize the boys' club.

Friendly people, focused on improving lives of patients

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Management is very focused on patient and improving their care
    -Employee friendly - benefits are excellent!!
    -There has been an increase in focus on career development for all employees
    -There sales training is probably the best in the country

Cons

-Growing pains - I've worked for the company for almost three years and the company has almost doubled in size.

-continue to focus on improving work environment - it is working!!

Headed on a downward spiral.

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I agree with the below comment; the view of the mountains.

Cons

-Bureaucratic structure with layers of management - from regional managers to department managers down to team supervisors. This, along with mandates for compliance, takes precedence over doing the right thing. It discourages change and cripples improvement. You may ask "Why do we do it this way?" The answer is often, "We've always done it this way." Forget creativity. Forget talent. Forget improvement.

-Micromanagement is crazy and is implemented with a command and control leadership style. Employees are treated like numbers. No one cares if you fall off the face of the earth. You're replaceable. We don't need you.

-Bonuses and rewards are given equally to everyone. And tenure precedes performance. Just another way to promote mediocrity and high turnover.

-Because management is so stuck in the past and resistant to changes, lots of processes (basically anything done on the phone or computer) is outdated. This is 2013, not 1992!!

Tenure Suppresses Talent:

Just because “Employee A” has performed a task longer than “Employee B” doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” is more skilled than “B.” Furthermore, just because “A” has been with the company longer than “B”, doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” possesses more talent, upside, knowledge, or adds more value than “B.” When an organization promotes based upon tenure, and not based upon recognition of talent, merit, performance, etc., the company is not leveraging its true talent base. Not recognizing, developing, and rewarding talent is the fastest way I know of to drive talent out of your organization and directly into the hands of your competition.

Terrible Place to work

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The beautiful view from your work station.

Cons

Micro management, favortism for the employees they like. Work long hours, work faster, time lines given. The computers and phones need to be updated and make sure they work properly. If they like you it will be a somewhat good career. If you are not part of the management group prepare to be miserable !

Treat all employees equally. Notice the employees working hard and that are not in the BIG boys club.