Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Updated 15 December 2014
Updated 15 December 2014
3.2

Edward Stevenson

Mystic is a fun place to work

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun work environment, nice break area to relax in. good discounts. great part time gig.

Cons

working holidays and weekends can be hard if you've got a family. Not easy to get full time.

Marketing representative working promotions, special events and managing projects. Very busy job.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Fun giving away large sums of money.

Cons

I struggled with the ethics of it. I felt at times like I was stealing people's social security checks. Great health, dental benefits. Exceptional time off, but it was difficult to use it because things are so busy and you are always on a timeline.

Work on building up the skills, talents of your staff.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Lots of interesting coworkers and guests, great benefits, and decent pay for the work being done. All around its a pretty easy job no matter what your department is as long as you stay busy.

Cons

A great deal of the employees seem to think they are still in high school and like to cause problems for others. Supervisors like to play favorites.

Greater interaction with entry level employees.

Clueless at the top!!!

Former Employee - Marketing in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, consistent annual pay raises, nice coworkers, training available

Cons

Open 24/7/365 so you never get holidays off, weekends off, and trying to have a work/life balance is impossible. The Directors and VP's take all the credit and when they feel threatened by someone who actually knows what they're doing, they fire them, or find a way to fire them. I've seen a revolving door in the marketing division, and the entertainment department has gone way downhill -- the place has become very very trashy. Which is funny, because when I first started, they were trying to change their image... they just went full circle... probably because they hired a really poor, education less director back to their staff.

Clean house from the top down. That's how you will change your image. The Board of Directors and Business Council really need to open their eyes to see what's truly happening and not just rely on their executive team to relay the information. Your tribe is in trouble if you keep going along the path you are on. Shifting people to difference positions because you like them, is not how you keep a business growing.

Good Job

Former Employee - Restaurant Server in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Restaurant Server in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Active environment
    - Engaging customers and employees
    - Great pay and benefits

Cons

- It's a casino, if people lose all of their money don't expect them to greet you with a friendly smile
    - Smoke

They are never happy

Former Employee - Facilities Custodian in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Facilities Custodian in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are nice,a lot of great shows in the Showroom. Most of my co-workers were okay.

Cons

Takes two-months for health and dental to kick in, bosses don't work with employees, transparency is thin, the supervisors can't make up their minds. I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to this place if he was looking for a job. Just when things are going good it's no you are doing it wrong.
    Can't talk to anyone even for a little bit or the boss gets mad.

Quit worrying you will get fired and maybe there won't be one person running the casino.

Boring job that you had to "look" busy.

Former Employee - Slot Service Specialist in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Slot Service Specialist in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked there while going to college. I was able to work on Friday and Saturday only. It paid for school supplies.

Cons

They would not let you talk to your coworkers. They treat their employee like children. Too many clicks and unprofessional management.

Grow up!

Great Buildup, Then comes buddy system politics.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time

Pros

Had some really nice people for the introduction phase, the pay plus tips (for those who get tips) is usually fairly good for all on the floor. Those working full time get decent benefit options. Can be a bit fun at times to work there. Good or bad, it's a learning experience.

Cons

The leadership (direct superiors) has no issue with showing favoritism, positive or negative, if they don't like you (regardless of job performance etc), you won't want to stay. The compensation isn't worth the negative aspects some have to put up with which is part of why they have a high turnover rate. Helps if you're Native even if superiors are not.

Not that they would take it, but they could supervise their dept heads a bit better on P&P guidelines and how they should apply to everyone.

Opportunities

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Great Benefits, lots of opportunities to learn

Cons

Very strict rules, more than I was used to coming in. A lot of non-traditional work hours needed to put in above and beyond your regular hours. Management lacks a sense of planning, always constantly feeling reactive rather than proactive.Management openly shows they have favorites. Many departments seem to have a lot of wasteful positions with little to do expect to play candy crush on their iphones.

Try to be more neutral with employees, it makes morale go down when it seems like they go to the same favorites under them. Sometimes one questions what is really going on.

No complaints

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. I worked back in the business office and not on the floor, but Mystic Lake seems to take care of it's employees at all levels.

Cons

A bit short on the PTO. There is a weird vibe with working at a casino.