NASDAQ OMX Group

Updated 27 January 2015
Updated 27 January 2015

NASDAQ OMX Group Chief Executive Officer Bob Greifeld
Bob Greifeld

Pros
  • Good benefits including 6% 401(k) match, but no public transportation stipend (in 7 reviews)

• Brand recognition, intense work environment, never a dull moment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of senior management are not that bright; others are excellent (in 11 reviews)

• Upper Management have no clue on the business area I worked under (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed interning for NASDAQ. A major positive was that there was always something for me to do (and it wasn't administrative work). My boss was very intelligent and wanted me to get the most out of the experience. I would recommend interning here to anyone interested in the field.

Cons

You don't interact with anyone beyond your direct supervisor

Positive

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

Good Pay to Start, Good Benefits

Cons

No upward mobility, Poor Marketing for Certain Products

Develop People Internally and Educate Them On All Products and Services

Good company.

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

Good salary and benefits with the firm.

Cons

Long, brutal hours but not unusual for the industry.

Increase staff.

The name is very well-known but this was the worst career choice I've ever made.

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is very well-known and is easily recognizable.
    There were a lot of benefits that came with the job (because of the connections to major public companies, we also received discounts and perks at these places).
    I loved my coworkers and I liked my manager on a personal level.
    They have locations across the world and you can try to transfer to other countries as part of a 'work abroad' program.

Cons

I was promised many things (advancement opportunities, job expectations, total salary, lowest commission possible, etc) in the interview process and none of it turned out to be true. (This also happened with many other people I worked with- we all ended up leaving MUCH better paying jobs based on these false expectations)
    We were taught all these 'amazing' things about the products I sold but, after talking with real users in the market place, seeing competitors' products, and trying to demo our products, I realized they are some of the worst and are in no way competitive (in quality or price).
    I personally came in with a lot of experience but they offer no support or real training. Because of this, I saw many colleagues who came in with less experience struggle and fail miserably as they tried to figure things out on their own.
    The overall morals that are held and encouraged by management are atrocious. You are fully expected to try to pull the wool over clients' eyes to make any sell and are supported if you get caught stealing deals from colleagues. The two things I heard most often were "Ask for forgiveness, not for permission," and "I don't have morals when it comes to business."
    I see no strength in the company itself- they constantly just buy up-and-coming start-ups, sell said start-ups products without improving or growing said start-up's products, until these products are no longer competitive and eventually die. They believe they will be successful completely based on the notion of "It will sell because we're NASDAQ," albeit my previous statement and the fact that NASDAQ is only really known in the listings market.

Create a better internal culture.
    Hold people accountable for not just numbers but for the rules set forth by the company.
    Organize on-boarding training that is job or department specific.
    Increase your dev department so that you can improve and grow your technology (you do call yourself a "global technology" company after all) not just support issues that arise with the existing systems you have acquired.

not a bad place to work if you are lucky work in the good team

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relax working env, good people, good career prospective, HR training.

Cons

Some people are very hard to work with.

listen more to new employees

Solid past, somewhat rocky future

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you find yourself in the right role you will be presented fantastic opportunity to grow and learn. The business is very diverse and there are always "new" areas of the capital markets business to learn.

Cons

Promotion can be challenging, in sort of "typical" corporate environment manner. Who you align yourself with, professionally, can have a profound impact on the potential for career growth.

Good company

Current Employee - Service Account Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Service Account Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time

Pros

They have invested a lot of money in next gen service offerings, waiting to see how it all turns out. They pay well, no quota, opportunities for bonuses, cool people.

Cons

Very chaotic place to work. Many internal requirements in order to keep reports accurate.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Great experience.

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time

Pros

Wonderful people, great work atmosphere.

Cons

Late work hours are stressful.

Many great opportunities if in the right areas

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time

Pros

Very focused on maintaining profit. You will always be busy and working on important projects. Will get great experience in the technology organization

Cons

Environment does not foster innovation or risk taking. Very limited training opportunities. Technology area is focused on implementing big company waterfall processes.