NASDAQ OMX Group

NASDAQ OMX Group Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

NASDAQ OMX Group Chief Executive Officer Bob Greifeld

Bob Greifeld

Pros
  • Good benefits including 6% 401(k) match, but no public transportation stipend (in 5 reviews)

• Brand recognition, intense work environment, never a dull moment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of senior management are not that bright; others are excellent (in 11 reviews)

• Inability to execute - think Facebook IPO (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Was very satisfied with my position at NASDAQ OMX

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe work environment was very pleasant, the work load was always very steadily busy, location of office was a great commute for me, management team was very nice to work with, it was great work experience for me

Consbudget cuts cost me my job or I would still be there, I would work for NASDAQ at any given moment, it was great work experience for me

Anonymous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad a wonderful experience working wih peers and management. it was a great experience learning about the working of the stock market and its rules.

ConsNone that i could think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Quality work, low recognition, bad judgment, understaffed, management backfighting

ProsBrand recognition, intense work environment, never a dull moment. Learn a lot on your own.

ConsPoor management decision making, understaffed, cutting to the bone, overworked, no training. Cost cutters celebrated but the negative impact on quality will be noticed and likely blamed elsewhere. No training. Bottom line is king. The best and brightest not promoted. Favoritism rules. Across the board dissatisfaction and people trying to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what's going on below you. Your decision making is so clouded by cost cutting that you are increasingly jeopardizing quality over low cost. Will have a real impact when the problems become so big it can't be ignored and clients will notice - p.s., they already have....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very unorganized with clueless and reactionary management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocal team was great to work with.

ConsManagement is more concerned with reactionary cost cutting and saving their own jobs than they are with the effect it will create down the road. There are a lot of faceless names calling the shots with out even stepping foot in the door to find out what the issue are and how to fix them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you keep cut down to the bone, you will have no muscle to flex your strength. Treat your employees like they matter to the company and not just a number on a spreadsheet

Terrible management. CEO needs to step-down

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsESPP plan, Brand name, view from the building

ConsThis company does not believe in investing in its people. Their entire attitude towards their employees is to get the most out of them while giving them the least amount of training, growth opportunity, comp, respect or appreciation. CEO micromanages everything, down to the hiring of analyst level positions. Surrounded by yes men/women who can do nothing to help the staff. Constant fire drills and chaos in the work. Everything has to be done now, at the whim of senior management. Bottom line is everything, people mean nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to grow, you need to invest in your people and infrastructure. Constant cost cutting is not the the way to improve your product and ultimately your bottom line.

Was great for a while then went downhill very rapidly after large acquisition that happened in June '13.

Managing Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsVery good benefits, base pay, high quality coworkers. Some legacy products are top notch. Good company name to have on your resume.

ConsManagement in place now with the Thomson acquisition that has absolutely no clue what they are doing. Misstep after misstep from product roll-outs to Facebook IPO, to exchange outage in August '13. CEO will not accept any responsibility (buck does not stop with him), but will quickly place blame on internal technology issues or blame outside factors.

Constantly in fear of losing your job regardless of your loyalty/tenure or how well you are doing. Employees looking to leave like rats off a sinking ship. Meetings that are typically a complete and utter waste of time. Mandate from CEO is to constantly cut costs and increase margins (like a broken record), but eventually there is no more meat left on the bone to cut. CEO is surrounded by "yes" men/women and if you're liked by executive management you'll have a job forever at Nasdaq.

VP level on up is too concerned with ladder climbing.Too many fiefdom's that don't communicate well and are all selling into the same accounts which creates confusion for the prospects/clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people vs giving yourselves raises...training benefits everyone and adds to your bottom line via increased sales. Also, learn to treat your employees with respect vs. treating them like cattle. Remove yourself from your ivory towers and get out with your divisions to better understand their challenges. Last but not least, please stop the old school 'rule by fear' method...it doesn't work to motivate people.

Interesting.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsTalented people, good salary & benefits, interesting work

ConsUnderstaffed to the point of always putting out fires; difficult to catch up. Lack of transparency particularly in HR matters. Little to no investment in employee development. Micro-management by CEO and executive team. Management structure very hierarchical. Focused on the numbers and the money with little regard for anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the executive area and get to know your employees. Hold all businesses to the same standards.

Not all that fancy

ProsGood pay. Good location (Rockville, MD)

ConsNot clear direction. Micro-managed. Tons of meaningless meetings. No clear career path. Unfair treatment.

Well, what can I say. Really quite bad.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits including 6% 401(k) match, but no public transportation stipend. Decent hours, but they are inflexible. Office is in the Financial District and the commute is easy.

ConsBase salary is too low for San Francisco. The Thomson Reuters acquisition process was a complete disaster...trying to integrate a larger team into a smaller one in the way they tried just didn't work. Trying to integrate the legacy TR and NASDAQ products together isn't working either. Clients are very unhappy and are canceling left and right to go to competitors. Five sales people have left in the past month alone to get off of the sinking ship. Communication between sales and service is so disjointed that management thinks using Excel spreadsheets is the way to go. There are processes in place just for the sake of having a process.

This company is probably great for you if you are looking to plod along in the same position for 5+ years. Other employees aren't driven and are content with 'stability' over growth. Do not come here if you prefer working in a start-up environment because, contrary to what NASDAQ might tell you, they are not an 'aspiring technology company' and cannot possibly compete with smaller, more nimble competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Stop cutting costs at literally every corner and start treating us like it's your employees that make the company. And stop making life for clients difficult just because you can.

Good.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Copenhagen (Denmark)

ProsWork-life balance, international organization, colleagues

ConsMatrix organization, too bureaucratic, American style leadership

Worked for NASDAQ OMX Group? Contribute to the Community!