NEXON Reviews

Updated 17 April 2015
67 reviews filtered by
2.8
Seung Woo Choi

Pros
  • A basketball court at the office (in 6 reviews)

• Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not a consideration (in 6 reviews)

• No room for growth in the company unless outstanding (in 3 reviews)

1. Great co-workers, fun environment, and opportunity to learn!

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Nexon America for over 6 months and am very proud to work for this company. As soon as I started I felt like a part of the team and everyone that I work with is really helpful and fun to work with. The work/life balance is excellent and there are always events Nexon puts on throughout the year including monthly lunches, quarterly outings, and holiday parties just to name a few. Communication through monthly town halls keep the important updates of the company fairly transparent. I am very busy with day to day work here and never bored, my team encourages me to learn more which is often difficult to find in a company. The environment is relaxed yet professional, casual wear to work is awesome! Testing out new video games with your co-workers is so fun, even if you aren't a gamer. It is not unusual to receive an email from The President of the company telling you to test out our games and play. I feel like if you have a positive attitude, a creative mind, and love a busy work environment you will enjoy working at Nexon.

Cons

Things are constantly changing so if you are not someone that can adapt to change this would not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in a positive direction and keep the communication between upper management and employees strong.

2. Good work-life balance but lacks passion

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

Reasonably good work-life balance (highly depends on department) and good perks

Cons

Not much room for growth, difficult to keep your passion up. Work experience is highly dependent on department lead

3. Best Game Company In Korea

I have been working at NEXON

Pros

Relatively free working environment
    Change to learn from cumulated online game service data
    Changes fast

Cons

Vastly different environment & culture between different game teams.
    It's a game company
    Changes fast

Advice to Management

Hire someone who has at least basic education for... MANAGEMENT. Not someone who thinks he knows about management because he have a lot of money.

Korean Standards in Western World

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When you are new to the industry and willing to take cuts in your private life and payment it's easy to start as soon they have a job offer. You get a title and responsibility so you can use it to advance in your career.

The regular people working there are nice and you can become good friends.

You learn about many different fields of the gaming industry.

Cons

You will not have much possible choices how to improve your career, at certain levels you can't advance unless you are Korean (or probably fit yourself in Korean culture and be fluent in Korean). Rarely any position in lower to medium management is filled in by non-Koreans, so if you want to advance in your career you will be required to switch the company sooner or later.

There is the Luxembourgian working law the company has to follow (Nexon Europe), but in my work years the law has been broken several times. If you don't behave as they like you get nicely told "If you have a problem, you can go."

The goals the company sets are unrealistic, it creates pressure on the employees, it increases the stress level and leads to mismanagement which leads to more stress. If you are with your full heart into a project it may be in personal conflict with you since if you understand something of proper management you will see that the work way can not succeed -> very demotivating.

Also the outlook is not positive, I do not think that the top management and the CEO who are all Korean by the way understand much of games and western culture and this leads to many wrong decisions.

Since the pressure is high and the game teams understaffed due budget cuts it's not possible to work in creative ways, find new possibilities and bring in yourself at your best. Even I work in actually a very lively industry where single persons and ideas matter, I feel like a robot at work.

Advice to Management

The company should become more western, and go with the time. They try to apply outdated and Korean standards to a community and their employees which will lead sooner or later to the point were even the strong main company in Japan will hold up the company anymore.

What Nexon Europe should do is: Take Money, get a proper game, get proper WESTERN manager for their title and start to make a proper service for their loyal customers with proper goal-setting with a proper budget.

This would help for a long term outlook as employee and also to have fun at work and be able to bring our self to the fulliest. Many of the people could be much more beneficial for the company if they wouldn't be handled as puppets.

6. Friendly folks. Still defining their structure.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA (US)

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are friendly and the senior staff including CEO are approachable.

Cons

Structure is always changing so jobs are not clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Use more long term strategies for management structure. Let people get used to their roles and have them clearly defined.

7. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pangyo, Kyonggi (South Korea)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pangyo, Kyonggi (South Korea)

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is still a good company if you care about making a big-scale PC game.
    If you are new to game industry or software engineering, spending a year or two might make sense as this place is serving many successful games.
    If you are comfortable with not changing much, this place can be good.

Cons

If you are eager to do something, avoid this place. Too much legacy.
    Most of smart and passionate people already left.

Advice to Management

Good compensation for passionate people.
    Accept more changes.

8. Summer Internship

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seoul (South Korea)
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at NEXON as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good to working with good guys. Happy circumstance.
    There is average over-time work, but lesser than other game companies.

Cons

Don't have any bad experience.

9. Great people, great games.

Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA (US)

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leading free to play gaming company - you can learn a lot about running game as a service.
    Great experience learning more about other regions - especially Asia.

Cons

Work life balance... also, there was lack of leadership. It was hard to tell where we were heading to...

Overall a "good" experience at Nexon America.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA (US)

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a casual atmosphere. Great gym in the building next door. Quite a few team outings that are fun and to cool places.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb the ladder at Nexon. It seemed as if you were at least making it seem like you were busy, staying late as much as possible (even though there may not be anything pressing to handle), etc., that was seen as productive and a way to look good in the eyes of upper management. I saw micro managers move right up and it seemed to be due to their overall apparent stress level, willingness to constantly work late (needed or not) that made them appear to be steering things in the right direction. Then there were other employees who quietly got things done in a much more efficient manner and didn't need to work late five days a week that got pushed aside.

Advice to Management

The only complaint I ever have with Nexon is that there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on working long hours as if that is always the way to go. I've seen QA forced to stay late multiple times even though they were absolutely not a necessity. Paying overtime to employees has to be a huge cost to the company and it always seemed over the top. Producers constantly stay late and other team members feel they need to hang around too, if only to appear to be a team player when it may not be productive for the game team or the company as a whole to do so. This majorly disrupts the concept of work/life balance within game teams and the company as a whole. Suddenly just being present past normal working hours was an indicator of a good employee, which is not a good thing at all.

Too much politics, but good benefits.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seoul (South Korea)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seoul (South Korea)

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New office building. Great benefits.

Cons

Has some incompetent directors who don't know much about the game. Team members don't get a chance to evaluate their seniors, which makes it difficult for them to voice their opinions to executives.

Advice to Management

Need better evaluation system for team members to assess their leaders.

NEXON Photos

Overview of Nexon Korea HQ
Lobby on 1st floor.
Lounge. There are every floors.

+ Add Photo