NORDAM

Incredible intern experience

Intern (Former Employee)
Owasso, OK (US)

I worked at NORDAM as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearned ALOT about aerospace and got to see hands-on how NORDAM is affecting the industry.

Lots of young interns- so you'll have automatic friends.

Got to meet lots of upper management.

ConsDon't live in Owasso as an intern.

Doesn't have very good follow-up with potential hires from intern class.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It was a pretty mundane work environment.

Systems Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NORDAM as an intern for less than a year

ProsLow Pressure Environment
Friendly, Helpful Co-workers with a lot of experience.
Chances to move up in the company relatively quickly.
A lot of benefits with the company on top of the salary.

ConsPretty mundane environment with little excitement.
Not much hands on work available.
They have a difficult time recruiting and keeping young people because the work environment is so stale.

It is a nice family-run organization.

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at NORDAM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey are progressive and understand the need to stay innovative.

ConsThey staff up and then lay off when times are lean.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Very hostile work environment

IT Area (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at NORDAM full-time for more than a year

Prosmy work schedule was flexible

ConsBed bugs, a case of bed was found and or area was notified days after they found the bugs. Management lacks experience in leading people. Management allows stakeholders to yell and speak negatively to IT staff. I happen to work for the Director that calls himself the "the gay trouble maker", on Vimeo. The director that I reported to was rated one of the worst in the whole company on an employee survey and they kept him. More than half of the department left the company and it was a very cohesive group for the exception of the director. I have never worked at a company where the managers and directors have such a disrespect for their employees. What is odd is the executives and family members are always respectful. There is just a huge issue with the director and managers and the HR dept.. HR at NORDAM is a meant to support the managers and directors. If you are an employee with an issue keep it to yourself because you don't have an HR department to help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways take in everyones opinion and realize there are good ideas that may not be yours. Value your employees they also deserve respect. Look up the definition to boundaries.

Amazing Intern Program

Intern (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at NORDAM part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Training and great hands on experience
Lots of great tours and divisional luncheons to find out about the company

ConsAerospace industry fluctuates, so jobs are not as set in stone as I would like

NORDAM acknowledges capabilities and makes opportunities available, should the initiative be there.

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at NORDAM full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge company with a small company mentality. Appreciates everyone and treats them as family. I believe opportunities are there that make the effort to go above and beyond.

ConsVolatile industry. As long as you work to diversify your overall knowledge and expand your presence, you are appreciated; however, if you become content with your job and choose not to go above and beyond, you employment could be in jeopardy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan a little better for down times. Significant measures have been installed to accommodate current stakeholders through diversification and proactive willingness to transfer internally in order to save jobs.

Opportunities available to grow and learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at NORDAM full-time for more than 3 years

Prosmany opportunities for cross-function learning

Consoverall compensation lower than peers

Good place to work in Tulsa.

Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at NORDAM

ProsSalary is good for the Oklahoma area

ConsBetter comunication from senior leadership.

Good place to work

Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at NORDAM

ProsThe work schedule is very flexible
The work is pretty interesting
There is use of some state-of-the-art technology in manufacturing.

ConsThe commute for me is very long.
The location is very remote (which makes for the long commute)
The opportunities for me to learn and develop professionally sometimes seem limited.
The people are fine, but not necessarily very "fun" to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper leadership doesn't communicate to stakeholders very often - even an update email would be nice from time to time.

NORDAM: More Cons than Pros

Everyone Who Loves NORDAM (Current Employee)

I have been working at NORDAM

ProsI joined NORDAM because of her excellent culture which is shown to be uniquely marketed. A company really is shaped by her leaders, they were good when I joined, but with the departure of some good managers and the promotion of the least desirable types. I can only say that it has gone downhill. I look back at the good'o days with a sad smile.

ConsFor the record, NORDAM does not have employees working in Kabul, so I assume the previous reviewer just planned on keeping his/her identity secret, for fear of repercussion. I do agree with the points and would like to add some that were not raised. The political scene at NORDAM is quite prevalent, everyone in the top level are constantly "covering ass". For example, a lot of managers are starting to not make simple decisions and insisting on others like technical staff or support staff making the decision. In fact, most managers do not know their work or what they are saying sometimes and rely on chasing other to get the job done. One example was when an urgent issue cropped up near the deadline and immediate resolution was needed, you would expect the director to be concerned, no, he had gone home with full knowledge of the situation. The manager was no help as he only want to settle the problem in the fastest possible (not necessary the safest) way, the only catch is that he did not agree to put his name on the dodgy idea of his. Both person were only focused on who to pin the blame on. And that is what is lacking in NORDAM, accountability. Without accountability, managers can get off with giving silly ideas and/or failures that are under their charge, as long as there is someone else who puts their name on the dotted line. With that same line of thought, we seldom see the management gutsy enough to sign off with their names. Very often, they are quick to take the glory of coming up with some dodgy idea to solve a problem, and when it does not work out, the workers performing the wonderful plan takes the rap.

In fact, most managers realized that NORDAM is a place for speedy promotion without any aviation experience or knowledge, all they have to do is put up an elaborate show for the CEO and she will be impressed. It is the typical “What she does not know, will not hurt the paycheck” sort of mindset. I know what I am saying is bad, and I am ashamed to bring this up, but the things that go on without the knowledge of the CEO, is not doing justice for her, especially since she is a good leader with a strong mind. It is common for most correspondence to not include the CEO, so only the good news will be sent to her. Operational deviations, projects that do not take flight, grievances rarely reach that level. Not that that is bad, if these are handled properly, but mostly, the root problem is that such things are ‘sweep under a rug’ rather than resolved.

One of the biggest problems at NORDAM is that it does not matter how good you are at your job - as long as you have the right connections, you can do absolutely nothing and still get promoted. Most managers form alliance to consolidate power and mutually praise each other, or to eliminate those they deem as threatening to their career.

Lastly, would it hurt so much to give credit to those who help do your bidding, or help clean up the mess you created? If managers treated their employee better and not be so eager to take credit for the labor of others, they would have more people willing to slog for them. Like the old saying goes, a monkey can replace a manager, in fact they are cheaper and more entertaining.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots to improve on and if you are concerned with the well-being of NORDAM, you should be able to sieve out majors points from what I have written above. I hope you have a change of heart and feel conscientious enough to take action.
But if I know you better, I hope the monkeys come sooner..

Worked for NORDAM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NORDAM reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NORDAM CEO Bill Peacher. All 11 reviews are posted anonymously by NORDAM employees.