NPD

Be The First To
Add Photos

NPD Chairman and CEO Tod S. Johnson

Tod S. Johnson

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is a very strong benefit of working in one of the satellite offices(in 24 reviews)

• People are willing to help you learn(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is arrogant about the appeal of the company to potential recruits(in 5 reviews)

• Very difficult to advance upwards in the company(in 3 reviews)

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

loved my time working at NPD

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

Pros• Strong work/life balance
    • Most managers are open to you working remotely
    • Excellent opportunities to move around in company, should you pursue them

Cons• Pay lower than industry standards

Company continues to grow - and with that opportunities

Manager, Client Development (Current Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance and culture even thought the company is starting to get bigger
    Great People - smart and driven
    Company continues to grow - and with that opportunities come available
    Once inside NPD, easy to transition with-in company to other roles/positions

ConsOffice Politics can be a challenge at times.
    Promotions are pretty hard to come by without moving positions.
    Pay is lower than average for area especially with NYC so close.
    Decisions are many times slow moving.

Not a bad place to start but behind the times always trying to catch up

Director (Former Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsLots of development and growth 15 years ago. Lots of internal training offered, approachable managers, encouragement to be empowered and move around the company.

ConsCant get themselves in current times, to much change without fully thinking things through. Lots of guess work for senior level. Change is great but need to think it through first.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance used to be much better for employees. Need a better handle on senior management and how they handle letting people go. I was let go on false reasons after being promoted, receiving above company average increases, after above average reviews. So why not offer me to move to different division or give me time to prepare, after 15+ years i deserve better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsGreat benefits and smart people

ConsNot much room for growth at midlevel

Great company and leadership, but limited room for growth

Account Manager (Current Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsCompetitive salary for the industry, very transparent leadership, great work/life balance

ConsLimited upward mobility, overly reliant on older products and technology

Excellent working environment and benefits.

Enterprise Support (Current Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsGood salary, competent staff and friendly environment. The company is private and takes very good care of their employees. The management is very helpful and ready to help team members succeed.

ConsI have been with the company for less than a year. I have seen no negatives yet.

Best Internship I've ever had

Client Development (Former Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsGreat company who cares about nurturing it's intern and focusing on development and growth. Plenty of opportunities to use your abilities to impress management and satisfy clients. Overall, wonderful experience and best internship I've ever had!

ConsLocation of the headquarters is very deep in long island. Not bad if you don't mind the commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat internship program! I loved my summer with NPD; however, HR needs to be more structured when it comes to hiring interns. We are a highly prized commodity in the job market and it is unfair to us to be in the dark as far as the progress of our employment for so long.

Great place to start, but difficult for long term growth

Account Specialist (Former Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsNPD is great for gaining experience in global research and hands-on approach with clients. After a year, it is best to move on rather than be asked to leave.

ConsSystems are obsolete and the company is losing its competitive edge against other, far more advanced research companies. The company is full of office politics with the mentality of "every man/woman for themselves" rather than working as a team.

Bad Working Environment

Engineer (Former Employee) Long Island City, NY (US)

ProsI can't fine one to post

ConsThe NDP group is a “Bad Working Environment”. It is a company that balances it Employee base on race, and driven on Knowledge Transfer. What does this means: Driven on Knowledge Transfer. The company does not have true talents, and deliberately hire specific individuals with well-founded knowledge and create a process that is designed to drain or steel knowledge between a period of 3-to-6 months. Once they feel that they have acquire enough or think that they have what you have worked hard for, the company just get rid of you as soon as they can in a very disdainful manner.
    This is not a company of true pioneers, and no future for you in this company. And yes, this company only preferred white employees, and it is where your knowledge ends up. When it comes to Information Technology, it is the weak as all departments of this company. You work hard for your knowledge, and you reserve the right not to share your knowledge. A team is not about one person doing all of the work and share his or her knowledge to everyone else, is about knowledgeable individuals working together to overcome challenges. Not one person overcoming challengers for everyone else.
    I strongly believe that Tod S. Johnson know what is happening within his company, and if you are a talented individual who is off-white [expect the worst job] believes that you have a future in this company, you are wrong. I have spoken to individual high-up in the ladder in this company, and there is only air between their ears. Karyn Schoenbart is a thunder-head [This is the best description that I can come up with, unfortunately]. She is a perfect example of what a failure is. She is the core participant that drives the Knowledge Transfer scheme with the NPD Group.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth the time

Great company to intern with!

Intern In Consumer Insights (Former Employee) Port Washington, NY (US)

ProsIt's very easy to get time with top management to ask any questions you have about the company, their area of expertise, etc.
    People work there often for many years, so it's likely that any person can point you in the right direction to get things done outside of your department.
    Summer hours available to interns.

ConsIt's hard to cover NYC's living expenses with the salary.
    Commuting requires a car, or train. Train is expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for NPD? Contribute to the Community!