NRG Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

NRG Energy President, CEO, and Director David W. Crane

David W. Crane

Pros
  • Good pay in easy job environment (in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with especially in Reliant part of the business (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It really comes down to one thing ---- Zero work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Senior Management does not have a good strategy for the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a great place to work

Director (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCompany is always looking for growth opportunities, which allows for good career opportunities for those that want to step up and take on additional responsibilities. I found there to be great work/life balance as project deadlines always seemed reasonable to me and didn't require regular work after normal business hours. In general the employees seemed satisfied and the management and co-workers were mostly pleasant to interact with. Total compensation and benefits always felt fair and maybe a touch above industry norms.

ConsThere always seemed to be a new re-org. I would have preferred there to be more training opportunities.

Decent place to work, but many obstacles

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ (US)

ProsDecent pay
    Good co-workers
    Free lunch in Princeton office

ConsNo organization charts
    Constantly acquiring other companies
    Frequent change
    Little management support

Poor Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual Work Environment
    WELL KNOWN to provide excellent base level training to be recruited by another firm

ConsLow compensation.
    Almost no room for advancement.
    Focus on solar energy without a need (standard generation is cheaper)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NRG Energy is a good place to work

Regional Safety Manager - MANE (Former Employee) Montville, CT (US)

ProsGood working environment with plant personnel, people are dedicated to doing an excellent job. Management knows the direction of the environment and is involved. I miss the people who made the job a real pleasure.

ConsSometimes difficult to get all plants on the same page across the US. People in other parts of the US sometimes have the right answers and the learning curve isnt that steep.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye towards the future

Overburdened without focus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsDynamic company disrupting the old energy utility paradigm

ConsOverflowing plate of work projects does not lend well to focus; analysis paralysis to get management decisions; no work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the workloads or salary structure otherwise company knowledge will depart for greener pastures.

Very busy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell, my paycheck never bounced. I got to work with some great people. I was trusted to make decisions on my own.

ConsPay was low for the experience level. Benefits seem to get worse every year. No one is replaced after retirement, just make those that remain do more.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people. Pay them a fair wage by industry standards. Keep the work load reasonable.

Seek out those that add real workplace value.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some very knowledgeable and capable people that know the industry extremely well. Benefits package is above average and the ability to further develop industry insights is reasonably well promoted.

ConsToo much continuing growth of policy and procedure promoted by middle managers that add very little to the value equation. Lack of change management expertise, which does not bode well when in M&A mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementWidely implementing the business practices of a $2 a share takeover company (Genon) without greater scrutiny is a poorly conceived strategy.

Good job, low salary. All of the good salaries are reserved for management.

C&I Billing Representative II (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe people and the company culture are good. I never had a problem with any concerns that I had. Immediate management always listened to my concerns.

ConsTheir salaries are at the low end of the totem pole. Actually they are the bottom of the barrel as far as the energy industry in Texas is concerned. Learn the industry here, but go elsewhere if you want to get paid a living wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the salaries to keep qualified people.

Fun and laid back

ProsGet the unit online and then do your work and your not nagged by the boses

ConsUnions are prevalent no need for them really but some like them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunities to tradesmen you act like you cant them, the are your biggest asset.

They know where they want to go but they have no map or compass

Software Development (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsAs a former Energy Plus employee, I am still managed by mostly the same great people: smart, friendly, approachable, dedicated to their job and committed to making your life better. You don't get that everywhere you go within NRG, but I love the people I work with on a daily basis.

At the small functional unit level, I feel like most people here enjoy the people they work with, and NRG does have a workforce of nice, young, smart people (on average). There is also a degree of "old guard" mentality from some of the older (both in terms of age and seniority within the company) so sometimes you feel like you've hit a wall because "this is how we do things" and there's no wiggle room for change, but the company is evolving in mostly the right direction.

I think NRG tries very hard to make you feel like you can make the rest of your career here. If you're willing to put up with some downsides, I do think it's a pretty stable place to work.

ConsI was an Energy Plus employee and we were acquired by NRG a couple of years ago. Energy Plus was a fun place to work full of dynamic, young people and I had a blast working there. While I still work at the same office, with a lot of the same people, and even though NRG promised they would let us continue to conduct business the way we conducted business and became a 150-million-revenue-a-year company in less than 5 years and wouldn't change the company culture, in the end it was all baloney.
    I feel like NRG has completely neutered what we once were, and now that I've seen how they acquire companies (they've been doing a lot of M&A lately), I can see that we're not an isolated case. The dress code is still casual at least, so that's nice, but I really don't feel like NRG and Energy Plus had all the "synergy" that upper management claimed we had. From what I've heard from folks in Finance, NRG acquired us to offset another business of theirs that was hemorrhaging money.

At some point I was offered a job at corporate, but I refused even though it paid more, since I wanted to stick with my team and hierarchy (very glad I did). At this point I'm really only staying here because they moved me to a new team where I'm learning a ton of new things, so it's a smart move career wise, but I look forward to moving some place else where there's less overbearing corporate BS going on.

To touch on the title of this review, upper management has this great vision of turning NRG into the Apple of the energy world, focusing on green energy and making energy management as seamless for you as possible using fancy technology. Very lofty and laudable goals but they don't seem to have a clear vision of how they're going to get there. It is extremely hard to innovate in an industry such as utilities, where people mostly just expect to be able to flip a switch on their wall and the light will turn on, or turning on the flame on their gas stove, all at the lowest possible price. Most people aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars on going 100% solar, so, again, while the company's vision for its future is GREAT, I don't think it's viable, especially in this country where overconsumption is practically a way of life.

There is a greater problem where it feels like most things get done (not) by scurrying every which way and hoping for the best. In short, there's a lack of organization, a lack of process, mixed with bad communication and that sometimes makes it hard to get things done.

Finally, corporate IT is a mess. They have some very bright people on the team but, again, as a whole, they suck at communicating, and they're clearly overworked. Individually, they're good people for the most part.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on improving employee morale. Just as an example, even though it does not affect me, the drug-free policy is something I feel very strongly against -- I don't see why you should care what I do outside of the office, so long as I'm doing a good job. You're setting limits on employees' freedom and invading their privacy, especially with the tacked-on threat of random quarterly drug testing. It may not affect me since I don't do drugs to begin with, but I view it more as an issue of infringement of people's liberty.

Worked for NRG Energy? Contribute to the Community!