NRG Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

NRG Energy President, CEO, and Director David W. Crane

David W. Crane

Dynamic work environment that pushes employees to work hard to compete to disrupt the utility competitive space

I have been working at NRG Energy

ProsRelatively flat organization structure so that the best ideas rise to the top to have an opportunity to be executed

ConsSynergies goals competes with objective to be innovative so employees are sometimes to exhausted to give more so the best ideas are on tomorrow's calendar

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best ideas comes when we are having fun so nurture the work space by giving employees a day every two weeks to work on projects that are independent from their daily job responsibility

NRG Energy provides fleet wide exposure

Assistant Plant Manager (Former Employee)
Newburg, MD (US)

I worked at NRG Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNRG Energy provided numerous opportunities to participate in fleet wide improvement initiatives. Continuous improvement strategies that were demonstrated to be successful at any individual facility were effectively rolled out to the entire fleet through sharing of best in class practices.

ConsOpportunities for advancement occur infrequently, and nearly always involve relocation to the other side of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward the top contributors while transitioning out the caretakers, in particular at some of the newly acquired facilities.

Not a very good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NRG Energy

ProsGreat downtown location. Colleagues are really nice.

ConsSenior Management and above is not professional nor do they care about support staff and career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all of your employees. Treat contract employees just like permanent NRG employees. There is a divide which is very noticeable.

Change is the only constant

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at NRG Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work environment is very entrepreneurial with the ability to lead and own projects outside of your normal skills and work scope.

ConsDue to the entrepreneurial environment, sometimes there is a lack of alignment on meeting key objectives which can cause friction or duplication of effort which is not the best use of employee resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure consistent accountability throughout the organization.

Paradigm shifting potential

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at NRG Energy full-time

ProsPeople, vision, passion, motivation, pushing the energy envelope

ConsSome business systems need updating

Work Life Balance? In a few years working at NRG you forget what that means!

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Princeton, NJ (US)

I worked at NRG Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAttractive Bonus and more pay than other companies (that is what most people working at NRG think). Free 3 course lunch is provided all 5 days.

ConsThe salary and the bonus package may be attractive but if you see the number of hours you work-the per hour salary and the stress is not worth working at NRG. For the last 10 years NRG is in an buying spree-it keeps acquiring bigger corporations thus overloading work for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you acquire more companies, increase the work force proportionately. Employees do have life outside NRG

OK place to work

Director (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at NRG Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMajority of the people are nice, into community works.

ConsSenior Management does not have a good strategy for the company. They are all over the places.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core business. Buying businesses, but not integrating well will not make the company successful

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good Benefits, Horrible Management

I have been working at NRG Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation, benefits are good, free lunch

ConsLong hours, incompetent management, expectations are moving targets, heavily political working environment, management does not care about employees at all, management has no integrity (for the group I'm in)

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest, take care of your employees, be respectful

Insecure leadership. Inexperienced employees. Lazy work environment.

Director (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at NRG Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLow expectations. Good pay. Bankers hours. Most employees are pleasant to work with.

ConsInexperienced leaders made up of only long-term employees with no real-world experience. Watch your back with all leaders across the company. Lots of wasted time in meetings. No one can make a decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit focusing on PR activities and look at real value creation. Bring in people with real business experience if you hope to survive long term. CEO creates a bad environment and encourages in-fighting which only results in wasted effort internally rather than how to grow the company.

Good for mid and senior level employees. Not recommended for analysts/associates

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NRG Energy

ProsOpen door, high level of responsibilities

ConsUnstructured, poor (or lack thereof) mentorship / career development program

Worked for NRG Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NRG Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NRG Energy CEO David W. Crane. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by NRG Energy employees.