National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance(in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective(in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process(in 15 reviews)

Awesome first job

Applications (ELP) Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsAmazing office culture and plenty of opportunities to learn

ConsAnarchy in Top management.

A very good place to kick start your career as a fresher

ProsNI is a very big name in the T&M industry. In NI there are a lot of things that you learn as a professional as well as a person. You will be shouldering a lot of responsibilities and initiatives are always welcomed. You will be learning a lot of things that ll help you long term.

ConsThe initial salary is competitive but considering the current economic situation, hikes may not be really attractive. There will be a lot of work pressure but that can be easily tackled if you're passionate about what you do.
    Team outings and other NWR events are on the lower side.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team outings, company outings and more recreational activities in campus would greatly boost employee's morale.

Skeptical of Their Intentions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsGood culture.
    Good colleagues.
    Flat Hierarchy.
    Seems to lend an ear to issues, but really need to follow up with tangible actions.

ConsCompensations and Benefits are completely off the market standards. Whats worse is that the management seems to be blind to it.
    Too much emphasis on culture. I think they fail to realize that almost all American companies provide similar culture. Reducing salary by almost 40% less than market standards in the pretext that "Hey the culture is superb". Its ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to pay the smart folks better if you want them to stay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to work

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsI love the company I work for.
    It's consistently being voted as one of the best places to work for, from the past 14 years so that should tell that this really is a great place to work. Compensation is decent. I'm happy about my role and responsibilities.
    I'm able to maintain a great work life balance because of -
    1. Work hours are fairly flexible.
    2. Work pressure is not too high.
    3. The people I work with are very nice.
    4. The campus is in the middle of the city so I don't spend a lot of time commuting.

ConsI don't know about other teams but I can speak for myself.
    I guess the work can afford to be a bit more challenging.
    We can also do with some more leadership in the technical ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure you are constantly introspecting and evolving. As long as you continue to do that, we're good!

National Instruments(Bangalore Instrument's)

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsLess work though mostly NI propietry work beyond that I could not say any positive on this.

ConsI was working in Bangalore R&D office.They electronically bugged my house..Entered in to my private space through survilance..Caused lot of problem's. Getting out of that company was became very difficult. Managers are not good. My personal and professional life was affected by all these.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be ethical, treat your employees well , don't do all these non sense above.

Good Experience, great freedom to work, your time, your way

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsGreat freedom to work, your time, your way

ConsLess career growth chances. Slightly less pay, will pinch you.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to clear the aim, where are we heading?

Great Company to work for

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros- Great work culture. An individual can perform to his/her full potential
    - Highly talented and Considerate co-workers

ConsWork doesn't come your way automatically. Each of us need to

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage Dedicated senior technical staff in identifying business problems and continue to get work

Smart place. Open culture.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsFreedom, Autonomous.
    Lots of learning (depends on team).
    Work with smart people.

ConsVery conservative Austin management.
    Bad Office facilities.
    Not very good Local Management.
    Salary.
    Attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Austin :
    Take bold steps. Being conservative hampering our growth rate severely. NI have got lot of talent, it is better to use them wisely.

To local management:
    Think globally. Stop being cheap. Better work facilities. Encourage managers to come out of traditional project management and help them to own products.

NI India Sales Organization- Terrible employer

ProsOnly one- You meet smart people at the junior levels. Of course, they leave because the smart ones never get ahead in this company.

Cons1) Leadership- MD and his team of cronies are perhaps the worst brand ambassadors of NI India. Specifically, the Operations Manager (also 'office manager'), Marketing Manager, Area Sales Manager
    2) Unethical practices- Selling to defense and other entities under the hood of 'alliance members'- Wonder if NI Austin even knows about it. If they do, and havent taken action, they're just as liable

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- You cant advise those who have no capacity to change

Great experience, got to know the intricacies of instrumentation industry

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsRelaxed working hours and good compensation. Being in applications engineering field, you get to know about business perspectives of technical industry too

ConsEntry level job (not the intern though) has some customer support responsibility which may not seem appealing

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!