National Oilwell Varco

Updated 13 December 2014
Updated 13 December 2014
3.5

Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position" (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits of working for a large company with many office all over the world (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of business structure with middle management (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is generally good, although it depends on the position a lot (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Review

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Office culture, growth opportunities, benefits

Cons

Pay is lower than other companies in the industry

Overall a good company.

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Managers that take care of there people.

Cons

Slow down times in the oil field.

Don't over hire on technicians.

Fast paced company good benifts great company to grow with

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Great pay great people

Cons

Management n eeds yo inderstand more of what it takes to build the product

Listen to employees and do your research

Great People - Great Place to Work - NOV PCG WLY

Current Employee - Supplier Development Specialist - Machining in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of things on the move at our company. The people are excellent and normally treat you like Family.
    Leadership is getting better at our Division and there are many things in process to help NOV improve.
    Like all companies, there is good and bad but just remember - the grass always appears greener on the other side.
    Keep in mind what may make it greener - and try not to step in it. We are growing as an organization, and are very stable. Pete Miller (DNOW currently) was an excellent Leader with a Vision, one I believed in - we at NOV
    do miss him but Clay Williams may be more tactical which may work to NOV's and DNOW's advantage long term.
    Both are excellent Leaders, and people. We are made up from the core companies and have grown thru both acquisition and modernization. This takes adding structure, organization and takes time.
    Looking forward to working with NOV long term, not interested in chasing a buck.
    Yes we tend to pay a little less, but the benefits are good and the people are even better.
    We are getting better every day. The old ERP is on the way out and we will have a better system.

The Management in the last year has made more positive strides in the last year than the 5 previous.
    Our Future is Bright!

Cons

We tend to hire less skilled people with degrees at lower rates, then they gain experience and move on.
    Need more Design Engineering support - There is not enough time, to save time and money.
    We are on the lower end regarding pay, benefits and bonus.
    If you do not like your current position - look for something else - within NOV.
    You will find your place.

Always hire the best available applicant. When there is time, help them develop their skills.
    At times a degree means less than a pot of beans when it comes to experience. Having both would be good.
    Put Engineers on the floor for a short time so they better understand their products regarding what is critical.
    Need more Engineering support - There is not enough time, to save time and money.
    IF you can get 6 jobs a day done, there will be 14 on your plate. Fix it on the front end.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    We could stand to adjust up a little toward "market value" regarding pay, retirement and bonuses.
    Training. Training, Training - More Process Improvement, development employees and systems.
    Keep plugging away. We are moving in the right direction. Thanks.

Good Company

Current Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Good Enviorment. Co-workers are great. Presentable company. Benefits are good.

Cons

No yearly incentives. Management needs to lean more processes. No yearly Incentives.

Learn actual processes before implementing them.

Senior System Analist

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

friendly environment and good benefits

Cons

Salaries are not good and the work hours are above average

Best place to work

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Great work life balance and friendly environment

Cons

Reward to be given at every stage

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Buyer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Buyer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NOV provides good benefits. I have an excellent work and life balance, and it is a laid back working environment.

Cons

National Oilwell Varco, at least at my location, uses a flaky ERP system that freezes or is too slow to work. A huge company like this should use a better system.

NOV as a career

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NOV has great financials as a company and is presently in transition to become a technology innovator within our business segment. Career options are vast and employees encouraged to look within NOV for career growth. The benefits from health, vacation, and bonus structure are excellent.

Cons

NOV has grown through acquisition over the years which tends to make the company feel like a corporation made up of 100's upon 100's of small companies. The company has been standardizing processes and company business systems over the last few years to address the issue and provide a more cohesive company and culture. To some extent the current mix of different cultures and vast business units make the company feel somewhat like a home grown company that the employees are helping build. For some of us that is the attraction of NOV.

Keep up the focus on driving technical innovation, investing in the employees long term, and keep up the shareholder returns. NOV is a great company to join and retire from long term.

Stable laid-back environment

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is as stable as any gets in this day and age. At least withing the corporate side of things it wasn't a high-pressure job so there wasn't an overabundance of work related stress. If you're ambitious and have goals of moving up the career chain there seemed to be opportunities for that.

Cons

Not a very structured review cycle. Unless your motivated to take charge of your career don't expect much change to be initiated by management. Overall compensation seemed a bit below par.

Formalize employee performance metrics and develop ways to identify and reward hard-working employees without them initiating the process.

National Oilwell Varco Photos