Nautilus Reviews

Nautilus CEO Bruce M. Cazenave
Bruce M. Cazenave

1. great place to work and learn

I worked at Nautilus

Pros

great place to work and learn

Cons

less salary more work you have to do

2. Amazing Company

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership and culture. Great to be part of a company that was headed for disaster but turned that around.

Cons

Typical publicly traded company. Must adhere to a BOD.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Exciting to see the stock price and new building.

Horrible experience as a Customer Service Agent

Former Contractor - Customer Care in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Former Contractor - Customer Care in Vancouver, WA (US)

I worked at Nautilus as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay, great employee discounts, some cool people in lower level jobs

Cons

Where to start... I was a temp employee, following excessive shipping periods after the Christmas months. I worked for a little over two months, and was notified the assignment was done on a Monday via telephone after work. Nobody suggested anything while at work or gave us any time to find something else. They gave me an Easter card that day with generic comments such as "Keep up the good work" which is hard when that day is your last day. They even gave me a $5 starbucks gift card (woo), but when I went back a couple days later to get my stuff, they had decided to keep the gift card and give me only a couple empty candy wrappers and a few pieces of candy.

Being in customer service was horrible because nearly every product wasnt shipped until 2 months after it was ordered. Sales would tell them it would take 2 weeks so they could get their commission, and I would have to break the bad news. They took almost twice the time they promised customers for parts and items in stock as well.

Also, everyone in customer service would promise to find out about an issue and call the customer back, but never did. This made for disgruntled customers.There was horrible customer service and the customers were consistently upset with false promises and crazy long wait time.

Middle management did nothing to help, didn't care about their employees, and were demeaning if you didn't know something.

Advice to Management

Hire better middle management, and figure out production and distribution. It is a public company yet they still haven't figured out the basics.

Working at nautilus was cool to work at just very unorganized supervisors that were very discouraging.

Former Employee - Customer Care
    Former Employee - Customer Care

I worked at Nautilus

Pros

Nice activities, work family, hours, training is great. Owner is nice

Cons

Communication with supervisors lack accurate information, everybody wants to be in charge, the leads can be very rude and not helpful

Advice to Management

Hire a diverse group of people not just people who kiss your butt and don't do there job as good as someone else.

ABUSIVE OPERATIONS SR. MANAGER BEWARE

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Vancouver, WA (US)

I worked at Nautilus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome.

Cons

In the Operations department, the management (female) is a bully, abusive, and just an overall awful person. I was set up to fail with zero training (1 day collectively). Unrealistic expectations. Expected to work hours and hours of overtime, despite the time of day (emails in the middle of the night) with NO compensation, in fact I was denied time off saying the weeks of overtime I put in were expected with the job, despite the first month saying it would be considered "equal PTO". I would often receive emails or texts between 10pm-2am, consequences if I did not respond in a timely manner, prior to the work day. HR, little to no help.
    This is not coming from an angle of a disgruntled employee, I have been in the admin working field for 30+ years, I have never encountered a "manager" that is allowed to operate in this manner or to this degree. Her life is her work and therefore expects yours to be as well. Think twice about accepting work in this department, other than the rest of the co-workers here being wonderful. Come to find out, I was the 7-8th person to have this job in less years, what does that tell you?

Advice to Management

Although your Operations Manager is a valuable asset to the company, she is a horrible, abusive boss. I thought you had a "bullying" policy in affect? The entire Operations Department has witnessed and is well aware of it. It's only a matter of time before there are legal consequences to her treatment of employees, colleagues, and affiliates. Complaints by all, internally as well as ex. This is a train wreck waiting to happen, again, perhaps you should take a look at how many people have come and gone under her direction in a very short amount of time.

Leadership is so disconnected; company of mediocres

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA (US)

I have been working at Nautilus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, flex-time, community involvement, employee discount on products, good benefits, bonus

Cons

Poor leadership, no career growth, no career growth

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees in the trenches... just don't get fooled by the BS fed by the middle mgmt.
    Empower the people who really care - and fire the yes-men... they are hurting you...
    Anyone who opens his mouth is fired - why? Create an environment of healthy information exchange and promote exchange of ideas...

Has potential but it's like going back to High School

I worked at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Overall good company and ok management. A handful of people are very friendly and do their best to encourage an open, fun culture. The work they do in the community is one of their strongest pros.

Cons

It's very much about who you know there. Personal relationships between employees and management was noticeable and discouraging. A good work/life balance is talked about but rarely supported in some departments.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the relationships management has certain employees and stop rewarding favoritism.

Great commission, but a very hostile environment to work in.

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA (US)

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best commission I ever made was working at Nautilus as a Sales Professional. They did not micro manage you and you can build up your own good customer loyalty. I believed in the products and really liked helping customers with their fitness needs. Great benefits.

Cons

The company values were very disappointing. They had no loyalty for seniority and did not care how many years you worked for the company as far as status goes. They treated every employee (in the sales department) as though they could easily be replaced. Poor leadership is what made me leave in the long run, even though I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is: If you want to break away from creating a "hostile environment" (in the sales floor), you need to stop routing calls to your favorite employees. The hostility will not stop until everyone has a fair chance on the sales floor. For those few employees who are not skilled in sales, place them on Performance Plans and move on. Simple as that! This is coming from someone who was one of your Top performers and number 1 in sales for many years. Had all the sales calls been routed fairly, I would not have had to voice my discontentment and things might have turned out differently for me and many of your other Top performers whom expressed the same concerns and ultimately left the company. Listen and learn from this that is if you care anything about the future of your company.

Fun company culture... depending on your location.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Nautilus encourages and supports employees who want to live a healthy lifestyle. The corporate headquarters in Vancouver WA has a very nice on-site gym (free for employees + family members) and vending machines that have healthy snack options. Employees who work at the Vancouver location can participate in several (free) activities like kickball, hood-to-coast/Portland-to-coast, Tough Mudder, weight loss and fitness challenges, and BBQs.

Most (but not all) of the positions in the company have decent/competitive pay. The benefits package is good, but not great (partially paid by employee), but the 401k match is very generous.

The company usually promotes from within, so there is opportunity to grow within the company.

They currently have the best CEO and executive management team of any company I've ever worked for.

Casual attire is a nice perk. Jeans are acceptable for most departments/positions.

Good location... easy to get to and within walking distance to several stores and restaurants.

Cons

Some departments have cliques and make you feel like you're back in high school, meaning if you fit in you will enjoy work and will probably advance/get promoted. But, if you don't "fit it" you will not get promoted, no matter how good or qualified you are for the job. This is not just my personal opinion, it's a well known fact and talked about openly amongst employees.

Job satisfaction may depend on your location. The Portland, Oregon location (the company's distribution facility) does not have the same culture as the Vancouver, WA (corporate headquarters) location. Employees at the Portland location don't have an opportunity to participate in most of the activities with the Vancouver employees. The Portland location is mostly all work, no play/no fun. Also, the Portland location has a lot of mandatory overtime, including many weekends and holidays. Definitely not family oriented or work/life balance.

Most employees at the Vancouver location sit in small windowless cubicles.

Advice to Management

H.R. should listen to employees when they say there's a problem. When employees raise red-flags about a specific manager or supervisor, it should be taken seriously. The high turnover in some departments could be significantly reduced by listening and acting upon employee feedback.

keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA (US)

I worked at Nautilus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun, busy work. Great co-workers, nice work environment, great CEO, Decent benefits. Very flexible schedule in my department. Paid holidays were nice.

Cons

Upper management in my department was not at all personable or approachable. They like to take the credit for the work others did. Pushed their "dirty" work on to others. Right hand does not know what the left is doing. Conflicting information given depending on who you asked. Too many switching of positions without talking to those affected by the changes. Don't like it? Too bad so sad attitude.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, get off the power trip and start being nice to those who are under you. This would be a great company- but a few bad apples do spoil the bunch.