Navigant Consulting Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
Updated 28 August 2014

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible (in 22 reviews)

• Yo get the opportunity to work with very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It's an exciting time to be at Navigant - the company's strategic vision for forward momentum is coming to life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Our leadership team has clearly articulated a vision for future growth, we are bring top talent on board and winning great engagements that keep our workforce challenged and motivated. The company offers internal and external training options to advance its workforce and the culture here embraces diversity through Employee Resource Groups. The Firm also supports new ideas and has created platforms, like the Innovation Challenge to reward employees for out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

Change doesn't always happen overnight, but the company is making strides in the right direction.

Keep communicating and articulating the path for growth to employees. It's great that management offers feedback on areas that need work. The senior leadership team is also doing a great job of communicating the vision for growth, but it would be great to see more examples of how that vision is (or will be) actualized.

Probably the best job I've had in this field, work with really smart people and the team comes together very well

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Boulder, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is very employee-friendly, flexible to work from home, proactive about training, communicating strategies, and community involvement. Income is competitive and incentives are based on performance.

Cons

None really, as long as you work hard and bring skills to the table. More than 3 weeks vacation would be nice.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are simply great - so collaborative and helpful. The practice I joined is global, and the people we have around the world are wonderful to work with. The atmosphere in the office is hugely positive - it is just a great place to be. I had a family friend here on work experience recently - she was blown away by it all too. I did the same job for 24 years before coming here, and had no reason to move, but the more people I met the easier the decision became. I would highly recommend Navigant as an employer.

Cons

Getting used to the corporate culture (not Navigant specific corp culture, just generally) was a shock to my system as I had not been in this environment before, but I am slowly picking it up (with the help of my wonderful colleagues).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for motivated self-starters

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Widely recognized consulting firm with a diverse suite of services and industry focus
    Work-life balance in excellent, compensation is commensurate to employee input (I feel like I'm duly rewarded for what I put in)
    Flexible working arrangements

Cons

I think work environment varies widely among practices and sub-groups, so my experience with my team (Energy - transaction due diligence and regulatory advisory) might be quite different from others' experience

Increase incentives and reduce barriers to collaboration among practices and sub-groups

The Energy practice serves the biggest clients in the industry, so your impact has scale.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility available to you around the work that you do is incredible.
    Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance.

Cons

The nature of consulting requires time tracking and constant awareness of how many of your hours are billable to a client. Unfortunately, this also ties into your bonus.

Build teams of people within your office who work well together.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

gave me a lot of autonomy to work on projects and learn. Was able to write memos, work on financial models,and have client interaction from day 1.

Cons

many different bosses, lack of organizational clarity at times. Were some sharp personalities in the group. Were some efforts at training, but quickly forgotten when we got busy.

Integration of the different groups seemed to be a challenge at times. Navigant has grown largely through acquisition and it is a constant effort to align all these formerly disparate groups.

Professionalism and going the extra mile are part of the culture of this company.

Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst  in  Vermillion, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, educational opportunities and lifelong learning. The office is friendly and coworkers strive to be a team. The flexibility to take time off for family obligations is really appreciated. You can leave your work at work if that is your choice.

Cons

No differential in pay for those with experience verses entry level in the SD offices. Team leaders are sometimes lacking in experience in dealing with personnel issues in a more positive, team buidling way since the office size grew very quickly.

Provide a path for career growth for those of us who want a career, not just a job.

Great company overall but lacking in rewarding loyal employees

Former Employee - Analyst Manager  in  Lawrenceville, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst Manager in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company, benefits, and work-life balance. I worked for Navigant for almost 10 years and overall I was satisfied with how I was treated. The company definitely knows how to communicate properly and they are very diplomatic and careful with HR-related stuff.

Cons

The company needs to provide a more fair succession plan for loyal, hard-working employees who have put in the time and effort to grow. I worked for almost 10 years and was only promoted once with a total increate in my salary of $10,000 over 9 years of dedication. My reviews were always fantastic but I never saw any growth for me. In the end, I lost my job due to the elimination of certain positions because we lost several clients in one year.

Be fair with hard-working and loyal employees and reward those that have put in the time.

Decent work/life balance, but lack of opportunities for entry-level/junior level staff

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

- For a professional services firm, pretty reasonable work/life balance with flexible work hours due to minimal or no work travel (maybe 2/3 of my colleagues at the Consultant/Senior Consultant level have never had to travel even once for work)
    - Very smart, educated colleagues (many Practices require Masters or PhDs especially in the more specialized fields)
    - Extensive internal training opportunities to sharpen analytical/quantitative skills (SQL)

Cons

- No real company/office culture - seems like there are really about 50 smaller companies (mostly acquired firms) within the company as a whole, generally creating friction and alienation within larger offices among Senior-level employees (Directors and Managing Directors)
    - Most engagements within Industry-based practices (Energy, Healthcare, Construction) are way too niche and overly specialized, thus leading to almost none or minimal cross-collaboration with other practices or even other sub-groups.
    - Engagements tend to be very long-term (3+ years), repetitive, and unstimulating after first year
    - For junior-level consultants (Consultant or Senior Consultant) or even sometimes managers (Managing Consultant or Associate Director), very little opportunity to actually interact with clients and develop stronger understanding of clients' business functions (this is why people go into consulting!)

Try to develop business strategies that leverage expertise across multiple industries or consider rotational programs to attract/retain talent as most entry-level/junior-level staff pursue the consulting profession to gain broad exposure to different client businesses and industries.

College, Part II

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good location, good work-life balance compared to the average consulting job (although this experience can vary from one person to another), everyone is easy to get along with.

Cons

Compensation is below-average for the industry. Performance ratings seem to be based more on whether you've got a managing director in your corner, less on your actual performance on a given project. Thus, advancement can be hard for lateral hires or those who have not become the "go-to" person for a higher-up.

Management does a good job of hiring people who are easy to get along with, but not necessarily the best job of hiring and retaining the most qualified individuals. That is not to say that the people working at Navigant are unqualified, but personality seems to be the most important factor here.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!