Navigant Consulting

Navigant Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Navigant Consulting Director, President & CEO Julie M. Howard

Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible (in 22 reviews)

• Yo get the opportunity to work with very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsFaced paced with a wide array of opportunities to strength the depth of your skills set.

ConsOn the small side, which is often a benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider becoming a private company again.

Great place to work if you like a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment that pays for performance

Managing Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsStrong experienced leaders who work alongside staff providing an outstanding learning experience for the whole team, nice people to work with, good teamwork and collaboration, we work on challenging assignments at industry leading companies, if you perform well there are lots of advancement opportunities and good compensation, not a lot of beauracracy like at Big Four consulting firms, no independence issues that get in the way of sales

ConsLacks the global scale of large consulting firms (but the pluses far outweigh the cons)

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to tell the Navigant story better since many people do not know who we are. Build a much better web presence to help promote the brand.

Great people, interesting work with excellent opportunities for advancement

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsVery intelligent colleagues
    Limitless training opportunities
    Interesting projects
    Good pay and transparent bonus structure
    Generally, the firm is flexible with work - life balance, though job deadlines can impact that
    Culture - offices offer different committees for planning social events, philanthropic events, etc.

ConsClient always comes first and while this is the exception, not the rule, sometimes work impacts life.
    It can be challenging work with challenging deadlines
    While the C - AD level is more transparent in terms of promotion cycles, bonus structure, etc. it is difficult to know exactly what it takes to make it to Director or Managing Director (in terms of the responsibilities and rewards).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve on the overall Navigant Brand, not just in terms of pursuing client work, but within the former, current and prospective workforce. As I look through some of my colleagues and former colleagues comments regarding their time at Navigant, I am concerned, because it has not been my experience and there are not currently as many positive entries. That is not to say the negative entries are inaccurate, but Navigant should do a better job of determining areas for improvement and addressing prior to them getting to this point.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities, lots of work

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat access to senior management. Management is real interested in delivering quality projects. Good pay. Projects are not super difficult but do require long hours. Note pros and cons vary by the PRACTICE

Cons401K match is just ok. It's difficult to use all of your vacation time. Staffing on good projects to not equitable but based on popularity and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training, hiring quality people, and focus on equitable staffing.

great, professional, small

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prospeople, professional, creative, passionate, humble

Conssalary, bonus, progression, growth, perks

Good pay, bad culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent work-life balance, flexible hours, real smart and fun coworkers. All depending on your location and practice area - there are dozens of offices across the U.S.

ConsYour experience is completely determined by which projects you work on with which directors and for which clients, and opportunities to move between projects are fleeting and hard to catch.

No culture - the firm is basically an umbrella for independently operating project directors. There's nothing holding it together besides shared time-entry / billing systems and bulk purchases of office supplies. Attempts by Corporate to bring people together are half-hearted at best, ring hollow, and are ultimately pointless. Feels like being in The Office or Office Space, but without the humor.

Long hours, uninteresting projects, little payoff or advancement.

Associate Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsInteresting and talented colleagues, some unique rewards programs and compensation models, and very dedicated employees.

ConsVery clique driven, and management is not open to any opinion other than from those "in the club." It isn't really a consulting firm - more like a high end staffing agency for distressed projects that no other firm will take. It is also very top heavy, leaving little room for growth and advancement. Compensation and benefits are marginal.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time on practice development. When MDs have 100+% utilization, no one is focused on the care and feeding of the staff, the business, or strategic direction of the practice. As a result, we take whatever the clients throw at us, regardless of fit, skill set, or fit. Also, your employees are not the enemy. Stop treating them as such.

No Leadership

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsSmart people. Not much else.

ConsYou have no control over projects / directors. Senior leadership is poor. Toxic culture starts at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

Good choice for early stop in career but don't stay too long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany nice people overall, mostly below senior management levels. Good presence across US. Good place to start off career at consultant level.

ConsLong hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged. Management seems to change strategy fairly often. Actions do not always match communications. Promotions are hard to attain.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to strategy (not just in words but in actions that support same strategy).

Not a bad place to start, but try not to stay too long.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood collection of people at younger levels.

ConsCareer advancement is very slow. The fact that it is publicly traded as well leads to dramatic cost cutting measures when quarterly estimates are not hit; the first expense to be reduced: labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter upward mobility options.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!