Navigant Consulting

www.navigant.com

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture can be somewhat stuffy, but most people are talented and committed. Lots of training opportunities and if you are creative, you can pitch your own.

Cons

There is an increasing pressure on billability, which doesn't help for making it a fun place to be. There's a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. You need to get on good projects with good D's and MD's if you want to advance.

Invest in better systems to support employees. Make messages more consistent to employees about the value you hope to get from them.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and will take them into account as areas to address as the Firm continues to evolve.”

Great Internship Program

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interned with Navigant this summer and had a great experience. The firm was professional and let me dip my feet in higher level work. I got to work directly with a Managing Director, which was pretty cool since most interns barely even meet their higher-ups. They also went out of their way to make sure they planned fun events for us (the interns) and got exposure to a variety of practices within the firm. Met a lot of friends.

Cons

Sporadic deadlines, my supervisors often had to work long hours and come into the office on weekends. Other than New York , DC, and Chicago the offices are small.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your internship experience. We work to ensure that our interns have an opportunity to experience all that Navigant has to offer and glad to see that you did.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer competitive benefits and a supportive work environment. I also found my co-workers to be very friendly and there was good camaraderie and team work.

Cons

The middle and upper level management tiers could be more transparent. The organizational structure also seemed somewhat complex, although this may have been due to the nature of the consulting industry.

I was a contractor and converted. Best decision I made

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company, culture and upward mobility

Cons

Some of co-pays in health plan are a bit steep

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience. We wish you much continued success here.

Great place to garner skillsets

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If in one of the big offices, Navigant is a wonderful place to work in teams big or small, network internally with employees from other offices, and to learn as many skillsets as possible. Employees are encouraged to do as much training as possible, and there are several different types to choose from, which is nice. It is great place to get as much experience as possible. There are some very smart people at Navigant.

Cons

If a consultant has not established a relationship with a D or MD who has a lot of work, that consultant can get left behind be it their compensation, or projects they get to work on. Consultants when they get hired are promised opportunities outside their group's core offerings, but that is usually not the case. It's possible to get pigeon-holed, and therefore bored.

Get a firm grasp of where the direction of the firm is headed, and encourage more collaboration within the firm. There is so much in-firm competition, that it does not make sense.

Under-appreciated and Overworked

Current Intern - Summer Associate
    Current Intern - Summer Associate

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

No formal training program means that it truly is a baptism by fire. Mentor program is good for the interns, but they have no sway in terms of a formal offer.

Cons

In my contract I was told that any hours worked over 40 would be time and a half. Commercial projects mean that many weeks we would be working 50-70 hrs per week, but I was directly told by my manager to not input them into the system. After speaking with other employees about this, it seemed that this was very normal for interns to be scammed out of their overtime. The reason is because the managers undercut the competition on pricing projects in order to win them so that there is no money for overtime. When I finally told the HR coordinator about this at the end of the internship, I was told to input them all in (on my last day). My manager (before knowing I inputed overtime), said that he wanted me to work there full time. After this happened, I "suddenly" was not given an offer. This is because the projects that I worked on with him now were over budget, which made him look bad.

better work/life balance, understanding the true amount of time for each project rather than undercutting the competition.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

We appreciate the candid feedback. I’m sorry you did not have the best experience at Navigant. We will be incorporating more guidelines to project managers about their interns' hours to ensure there ... More

Life Sciences Practice Quickly Growing

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for personal / professional growth in the Life Sciences group. There is excellent work life balance and the senior management really does value people's family commitments

Cons

Training is ad hoc and still in development, though it is improving over time. Sometimes selling additional work gets in in the way of quality

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience..

It's an exciting time to be at Navigant - the company's strategic vision for forward momentum is coming to life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Our leadership team has clearly articulated a vision for future growth, we are bring top talent on board and winning great engagements that keep our workforce challenged and motivated. The company offers internal and external training options to advance its workforce and the culture here embraces diversity through Employee Resource Groups. The Firm also supports new ideas and has created platforms, like the Innovation Challenge to reward employees for out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

Change doesn't always happen overnight, but the company is making strides in the right direction.

Keep communicating and articulating the path for growth to employees. It's great that management offers feedback on areas that need work. The senior leadership team is also doing a great job of communicating the vision for growth, but it would be great to see more examples of how that vision is (or will be) actualized.

Great colleagues with a reputation for quality work and interesting projects

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with really smart, passionate people. There's a ton of variety in the work that we do, and that keeps things interesting. There's a good amount of autonomy and flexibility granted to consultants. We're treated like adults who can make decisions for themselves. There's a lot of room for creativity and innovative thinking, if you get on the right projects. The energy practice (where I work) has a good blend of thinkers from different fields: engineers, economists, B-school grads, social scientists, etc. I feel very proud of our reputation for quality in our field.

Cons

I am acutely aware that many people have had a less positive experience than I have; so much depends on which office you're in and which project managers you're working with. Some of the offices have no camaraderie (thankfully, I am in one of the ones with a good culture). Some project managers treat their employees like indentured servants but many are excellent and nurturing.

Performance evaluations focus too much on how much time you bill to the client and not enough on how much value you create for the client and what you do to ensure the long-term success of your group. There's a lot of talk about building a "sales culture" but at the lower levels, there is really no upside to spending non-billable time on trying to sell work. I think there's a lot of short-sightedness in the performance evaluation process.

There could be more collaboration across teams and groups. A good amount of reinventing the wheel takes place. That's partially due to the emphasis on billable hours. Nobody wants to spend a ton of time that they don't get credit for making things easier for other people.

Remember that many employees are motivated by the opportunity to pursue intellectually satisfying and meaningful work, not solely the pursuit of a fatter paycheck and higher stock prices. Internal communication focuses too much on dollars and not enough on the human beings who are creating value for our clients.

Create more flexibility in opportunities for advancement. Few people can truly excel at technical work, mentoring, project management, and sales; they are four distinct and equally important skillsets. Create career paths for people who want to excel at 2 or 3 of those areas and allow them to continue receiving promotions and raises. Stop pretending that someone who can sell work is also qualified to manage a project. That is very often not the case. Place more value on mentoring; advance people who improve the work quality of those around them.

Probably the best job I've had in this field, work with really smart people and the team comes together very well

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is very employee-friendly, flexible to work from home, proactive about training, communicating strategies, and community involvement. Income is competitive and incentives are based on performance.

Cons

None really, as long as you work hard and bring skills to the table. More than 3 weeks vacation would be nice.

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important in shaping the future of the company.

Navigant Consulting Photos