Neiman Marcus

Updated 30 January 2015
3.1

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Besides the obvious employee discount, those who work in the Call Center become more like family (in 29 reviews)

• Good discount, fun atmosphere, wonderful management (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always, always stuff coming back, even for the top sales associates (in 25 reviews)

• Seems like upper management turns their head to the erratic behavior of their seasoned staff (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

A true family- you'll never work a day in your life here doing what you love.

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay/ bonus/ commission structure
    Company is philanthropic and donates to many causes and disaster relief efforts
    They empower their employees to run their own business/ will not micromanage
    It's like cheers: everyone knows your name
    They value your input/ ideas to better the business
    Celebrate their employees with "thank you" events and acknowledgments
    The discount is the best I have ever had and they employee only deals frequently (30/30 or 30/50)
    The hours are reasonable and they won't make you work crazy holiday midnight hours like other retailers
    Host fun private parties for clients after hours
    They encourage healthy lifestyle competitions amongst employees with prizes
    Beautiful, clean, work atmosphere and great client base to work with
    Benefits/ 401k
    Flexible with scheduling
    Coworkers were mostly quite compassionate and lovely.
    They offer store meetings and trainings to educate yourself on other brands
    The managers are all very involved throughout the store and quick to help in other departments
    They provide employees with iphones and ipads to better contact/ service clients

Cons

The register technology could be updated (POS system is a bit archaic but I've dealt with worse) and I believe they are currently working on updating everything
    If you need a lot of coaching this may not be this place for you. It is my belief that you should know how to run your business at this level of pay grade/ luxury sales. It's not for the submissive or faint of heart. That said- I don't really see it as a "shark tank" as others have said either. It's still work and you need to WORK for your business.

I think the store does a beautiful job of celebrating their employees and maintaining strong core values. I always felt very happy and appreciated here. The best company I have ever worked for.

Great place to work

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Really great people. Well respected executives

Cons

None really. Great place to work

Neiman Marcus is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

The EDP training program is great if you are looking to break into the corporate side of the business. Everyone is very friendly both in the stores and corporate offices.

Cons

The pay is not great. Assistant buyers at NM make much less then they do at Saks. Even JCPenny pays WAY better. While there is opportunity for a yearly bonus and raise it is so small that it is almost insulting.

The pay needs to be better and the company should try harder to promote from within. I also don't understand why they recruit from colleges like Standford and not from fashion schools like Parsons, FIT or FIDM.

Great Company, tight politics within the work place

Former Employee - Coordinator in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Coordinator in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good training available, great benefits, and good co workers. AMAZING brands, and great fashion.

Cons

Politics within the work place are stiff and hard to get into

Great company overall, hard to move up

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your experience will depend on the attitude of the others around you. Working at the downtown Dallas store, I felt like most people were happy and management was encouraging and supportive. Commission based work is hard, but if you don't know that going in that's on you. Really like that they're using more technology.

Cons

Department management kept changing. Made it hard to develop relationships with them and use them as resources for customers. This is because our location worked well for people in the EDP to get their store experience without moving. Good for them, bad for the retail workers. EDP was harder to get into for people who have already worked in the company as sales people. They want you to have experience as a coordinator instead.

Change the EDP requirements so that a department management step isn't required- they should shadow them, but not be forced to work in a position they have no intention of staying in for more than a year. Get people in those positions who want to stay.

Technology wise - I see great efforts being made (hello, Smart Mirrors?! Awesome!), but seriously, update the POS system. It was a joke where I was.

Best large department store in retail for building clientele

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Product Specialist in Cosmetics and some jewelry lines are the only non commission positions which allow for a complete focus on customer service... this is best if one is very passionate about their line....after learning the dynamics and personalities and territorialism of established sales people to know whom is or is not good to compete with as it can turn into a shark tank in any department.

Cons

Balancing assertiveness in taking sales and collaborating....very long and indefinite time periods to work up within the company.... they seem to hire a lot of people from Nordstrom or other stores at higher ranks as oppose to grooming within.

Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Great team mentality.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Product Specialist

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Pay is great. Different department store environment not as if you were working at kohls. You get an hour lunch break

Cons

The distance was the only issue for me trying to get to work on time. On Sunday you only get a 30 min lunch break

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Great place you learn the ins and outs of retail you learn about fabrics, silhouettes, and how to style everyone or anyone. Pay is good.

Cons

Too traditional although that's not always bad but some modernization in management. Growth is close to not existent. You will not get promoted quickly if you are not in management.

Stop expecting people to kiss your buttox stop expecting people to respect you if you don't respect them. You are not above anyone.

Neiman Marcus Photos

Outside of historic Neiman Marcus Headquarters and flagship store in Dallas. (Photo attributed to Dfwcre8tive - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
NM Cafe