Nestlé USA

Nestlé USA Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Nestlé USA Chairman & CEO Paul Grimwood

Paul Grimwood

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance compared to other industries(in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits but who knows how long that will last(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is suffering because of limited resources and delays in filling openings(in 20 reviews)

• 60-80 weekly no work life balance(in 8 reviews)

Great Company

Ice Cream Maker II (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, tuition assistance, plenty of opportunities for advancement.

ConsHigh turnover with supervisors, once you get used to one supervisor they're moved to a different department, fired, or quit.

It was a good place to work. We are given the liberty to do our best based on set procedure.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsWe are given the liberty to do our best based on set procedure.

ConsThe company is outsourcing most of the business support functions. We are consultants/contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs contractor/consultant you are most likely stuck with your current position.

Warehouse team member.

Warehouse Team Member (Current Employee) Breinigsville, PA (US)

ProsDecent pay, good benefits. Employee store. No need to worry about layoff at warehouse level. Productivity bonus system.

ConsLong hours, lost of mandatory overtime including work on scheduled day(s) off. Little to no communication from upper management. Short notice on hours needed to work. Work-life balance is horrible. The company says they are a family company but they expect themselves to come first at all times. Boys club. Not what you do but who your friends with will get you ahead. Dayshift personnel run the place. Upper management won't listen to anybody on off shifts. Bring in work that's isn't NUSA (nestle waters) that causes an extreme amount of overtime causing employees to fall behind on their normal NUSA work. When there are shift "parties" upper management usually has zero contact with anybody. Will serve food and leave soon after. Company needs to change up the "old guard" system. Company not truthful to new hires. Bring them onboard by telling them we work minivans overtime and no extra days. No advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to more than just dayshift employees. Communicate more. Cut down on the mandatory hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Large Company

ProsThis is a large & very mature company. This comes with several pros/cons.
    The pros:
    -job stability
    -do not need to work very hard and can get away with it. Usually put in 20% effort & get praised for amazing work because the standards are so low
    -work/life balance, especially if you have kids

Cons-compensation is below market rate in urban areas (even for CPG)
    -flat organization --> very few opportunities for advancement. This is an old boys club so if you are not willing to network/politic/etc, you will not get very far. Promotions are given to people who are well connected vs. produce quality (or any) work. There's a saying here that people are promoted if they are incompetent (moves them out of your department) & the good people are sabotaged (why give up the one person in your group that's pulling the weight of 5?)
    -lots of lazy people who skate by. It's very important to just be competent...otherwise you will be expected to do work or risk getting fired during the mass layoffs (happening quite a bit. Lost track of the rounds...)
    -Focus is on cutting costs as the company is mature and not growing.
    -culture/vibe is toxic on some levels in the Glendale office. People look like they are about to slit their wrists
    -benefits are crap. It might be great for Switzerland (Nestle Global HQ), but it is below average in most urban areas.
    -People are choosing to leave vs waiting to get fired. This is great for them because they usually end up in better companies and/or roles that appreciate them. However, for those of us who stay...be ready to do more work as positions are filled very slowly (i.e. hiring freeze). You will be given a bunch of fake promises so you won't leave and have your boss (god forbid) actually do work instead of hanging out with his/her buddies!
    -Promises of things moving "quickly" usually mean 1-2 years...seriously, no joke....This is the first (& hopefully only) company that I have been at that has moved this slowly. I think the DMV moves faster than this & they have unions!
    -Watch your back as people will throw you under the bus for their own advancement (this includes your coworkers, other directors to directors, etc). Would be hilarious to watch if you didn't work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat in management as your multiple rounds of layoffs have focused on the people who actually do work and/or are the lowest paid people in the groups (most likely why they don't have time to schmooze). This is the first company I have been at where you have high paid execs who are paid to just twiddle their thumbs all day in front of their computer taking credit for their subordinates work (& throwing them under the bus when they inevitably make a mistake). What is the point of keeping these people? Improve your compensation & benefits package so they are competitive with the market. Maybe people will become happier if they are actually paid for the work they produce?

Good for a few years, but don't stay too long

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsLost of training through Neslte University. You get to work with people all over the global, which is fun. The people are generally very nice and fun. They have great benefits, including a pension and 401k match and generous PTO.

ConsIt is very difficult to get promotions so people tend to stay in the same jobs a long time and lose their energy/excitement. The politics in many divisions are toxic, with only people who are very good at managing up getting the good assignments. It is very hierarchical and a bit of a boys' club. They have an unnecessary focus on what people wear and how they look.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let people rot in roles - either move them up or out. Also, make sure you reward smart thinking and business results rather than political pandering.

Supervision

ProsWages and benefits
    Interesting work/processes
    Constant learning and developmental opportunities
    Vacation- Starts with two wks and after a few years you get 5

ConsTop down direction not always clear
    Corporate attempts to run the site instead of allowing them to do so
    Work/Life balance
    Lack of accountability for hourly employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRun your site, do not allow Glendale to force you into bad decisions

Inconsistent

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Provo, UT (US)

ProsAbove average pay, great benefits (401K, discounted car insurance, etc.) even for part time. The people I work with are really either hit or miss.

ConsVery hard to communicate with supervisors, extremely inconsistent hours, and very little performance feedback. Miscommunication occurs often.

Its OK

ProsLarge company with many opportunities.

ConsSeem to be getting bogged down with too many new processes.

Great place to start out but if you are generally highly managed and moderately compensated.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsIf you have a company car it makes being payed a bit less than average easier to swallow. recognizable product portfolio and category leader in most areas of competition. Good leadership however many are so far removed from the business that they don't understand what it takes to be an account manager any more.

ConsHighly managed. bulky forecasting system that is not scheduled to be updated for years. fading product portfolio which is being squeezed by private label/value brands and super premium brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are in a difficult position with our brands not really falling into value or super premium. Launch new brands and work with Trade Joes on provate label. Discontinue Dulce Gusto and start selling Nescafe in K-cups.

Great company that values it's people and offers work/life balance

ProsI'm proud to work for a company that has an unparalleled portfolio, brands I grew up with and trust. I feel valued for my contributions, encouraged to step up and be heard, and empowered to move forward with strategic decisions.

ConsHaving a flat organization means it's not a title driven structure. We do so much more than what our job titles indicate.

Worked for Nestlé USA? Contribute to the Community!