Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true(in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover(in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are(in 17 reviews)

Not too bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay, seemingly lax supervisors. food karts

ConsAll of the survey policies got to be overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat folks better.

Stay away. Too many great people are arbitrarily let go, with no warning or cause. Zero stability. Fear culture.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsPay, free lunch. Some awesome people.

ConsJerks, underachievers, people who have risen to upper management who don't have talent. Boring. Not innovative. No vacation policy means it's abused by people at the top and people at the bottom are too scared. HR is corrupt.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying so much about yourself, try to make a great product. Stop wasting so much money, it's disgusting.

My experience at Netflix was very pleasant we all worked as a team to get the job done....

Production Worker (Former Employee) Grove City, OH (US)

ProsWe did get to work forty hour a week.

ConsMaking sure the DVD where mailed out on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supervisor

ProsGreat pay and employees
    Fun work environment
    Progressive product
    Excellent work/life balance

ConsNo annual raises, bonuses or performance reviews
    Little opportunity for advancement

Fast paced, intense environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros-Really smart, motivated, and reliable team members
    -Great salary
    -You'll learn a lot from the people you work with
    -Fantastic product

Cons-Senior management makes decisions without checking in with the SME's within the company.
    -People get fired much faster without much warning. If you have a good manager, you will be happy to have the people who aren't pulling their weight gone quickly without causing too many problems.
    -It's hard to leave the office during the day, if needed. There is a big focus on face time.

Advice to Senior Management-Before implementing an idea, check with your highly compensated SME's.
    -Make sure you are listening to and keeping a pulse on your customers.
    -Give employees more trust so that the high performers don't constantly feel like they could be fired for any small mistake. This kind of fear leads to a nervous, management pleasing environment.

One of the best - But can it sustain?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey treat you like adults.
    There is very less politics.
    If you have the stuff, you will really excel.
    They pay you well.
    They have a Steve Jobs-class CEO.
    They have a fantastic vision- thanks to Reed Hastings.
    You are bound to have world class colleagues.

ConsThe most touted culture is changing as the company grows.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooks like the company is being YAHOO-fied. There is a lot of influx of Yahoo management which is changing the culture quite a bit.

There is quite a bit of self-aggrandizement in recent times, where there is an army of people hired just for the management to move up the ladder.

Mr.Reed- it is not only important to be a visionary CEO, but it is important to know what is going on with the management as well. After all, if the culture changes under your carpet, your culture deck will not be admired by people anymore.

Performance rewarded

Supervisor (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsNetflix has created a very competitive culture that promotes and drives innovation.

ConsHaving a very competitive work environment can get into the way of a healthy work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Netflix values encompass traits you would find beneficial with any employee.

Previous employee, been a few years

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR (US)

ProsNice bling
    Decent pay
    very good ticket software

ConsThe only place I've seen this much churn is at a fruit packing shed. The best manager I've ever had was fired for no particular reason, along with his boss and several other employees. If you could not make the customers give you a good review (hard to do when they did maintenance every Tuesday at 10pm), you would be fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit holding people accountable for things outside of their control.There's no point in a liberal vacation policy if people are fired for taking a few days off. I will not work for a company that does not have compassion for its employees.

Drink lots of coffee.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros24 hours a day available for setting schedule. I was paid very well through the temp agency and then was given a good raise after I was hired on. There was also a lot of windows and a cheery looking appearance.

ConsConstant changes in team organization and fear filled environment. There were mental health hotline tear aways in the bathrooms. It wasn't an easy place to work because management constantly hounded you if you made a single mistake.

Great team, great perks, great pay

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsGreat health coverage, great hours, great team building, great leadership

ConsAnnoying as hell customers who don't know a thing about the technology they purchase

Advice to Senior ManagementChat and email inquires please

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!