Netflix Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great summer job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

As much as the customers could be awful sometimes, Netflix really tried to make us happy. The supervisors were very hands on, and always there to help. My team of co-workers were very helpful too. We were always in group chats discussing issues. There were always contests going around, and fresh fruits in the break rooms.

Cons

The only con really is that you don't get to choose your hours. You may get stuck with the overnight shift, or working all weekend days. They do pay you more for those hours though.

Horrible place to work, on every level

Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist  in  Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary is good. Pretty much nothing else.

Cons

I was constantly fearful for my job and stressed out of my mind every day I came to work. Bosses were willing to lie and cover up their own errors to save their jobs. Lots of cold, heartless managers with no outside interests, no families - nothing but Netflix in their lives. Married people beware - when you interview there, ask about how Netflix feels about the "3 B's" - Babies, Birthdays and Brides (spoiler alert: they don't want to hear anything about them). Although some employees had dogs, so they had that going for them. I got into a disagreement with my manager and was fired soon thereafter. But it was for the best - I had tried to get pregnant for over a year while at Netflix but was so miserable and depressed it never happened. Less than a year after leaving this hellhole my husband and I welcomed a beautiful new baby girl. So this is probably a Pro - thank you Netflix for helping me and my family bring a little 'B' into this world, and thank you for making me realize that there are more things to life than big salaries and delusional arrogance, posturing and self-promotion. Hopefully the rest of your employees will one day see the light.

Retire.

Excessive Turn-over, Work Mobbing, Culture of Fear, Corporate BS at it's FINEST

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay. that's it. but it will feel like dirty money. after you've been here long enough (although evident to me right after I started...) you will wish you never started here because it will suck away your life and soul... the money won't matter. Oh... this was Pros. crap.

Cons

everything. insecure people. arrogance. letting go of people completely arbitrarily. using the annual 360 reviews as a harmless way for peer- reviews; then using those peer reviews as evidence... just as an FYI when you get a team of overpaid, untalented, bored people writing peer reviews it's an incubator for workplace mobbing (look it up) which happens ALL the time. Every week there are at least 1, if not 2 or 3 emails that go around about a team reorganization because someone was let go. When those people are your close colleagues you've successfully worked with; it's completely gross to have to accept their departure while you hang on. It wears on your soul. and, before you know it you HOPE you are let go.

start a training program. stop thinking the world revolves around the bottom line. Care about your employees and stop treating them so poorly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very fast paced ,exciting new technologies, pioneers

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No micromanagement
    Get work done - with the Freedom and Responsibility attitude allows flexibility
    Need to be pro-active and self starters and constantly deliver

Cons

might be intimidating for anyone not used to working at the fast demanding pace

Loved the transparency and the faith execs had on each one of us - making us feel we belonged

Not too bad

I worked at Netflix

Pros

pay, seemingly lax supervisors. food karts

Cons

All of the survey policies got to be overwhelming.

Treat folks better.

Miserable

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting wage was decent and the weekly pay (through the temp agency) made budgeting easy.
    Subscription perks were a feature (free discs and streaming, max package).

Cons

Being lied to about converting from temp employees to actual Netflix employees, having the conversion scheduled then canceled, not willing to take into account the general unhappiness of the customer and thus terminating good employees.

Treat your employees with respect and follow through on your promises.

Fast paced, intense environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Really smart, motivated, and reliable team members
    -Great salary
    -You'll learn a lot from the people you work with
    -Fantastic product

Cons

-Senior management makes decisions without checking in with the SME's within the company.
    -People get fired much faster without much warning. If you have a good manager, you will be happy to have the people who aren't pulling their weight gone quickly without causing too many problems.
    -It's hard to leave the office during the day, if needed. There is a big focus on face time.

-Before implementing an idea, check with your highly compensated SME's.
    -Make sure you are listening to and keeping a pulse on your customers.
    -Give employees more trust so that the high performers don't constantly feel like they could be fired for any small mistake. This kind of fear leads to a nervous, management pleasing environment.

My experience at Netflix was very pleasant we all worked as a team to get the job done....

Former Employee - Production Worker  in  Grove City, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Grove City, OH (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

We did get to work forty hour a week.

Cons

Making sure the DVD where mailed out on time.

N/A

Supervisor

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Great pay and employees
    Fun work environment
    Progressive product
    Excellent work/life balance

Cons

No annual raises, bonuses or performance reviews
    Little opportunity for advancement

Previous employee, been a few years

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Beaverton, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice bling
    Decent pay
    very good ticket software

Cons

The only place I've seen this much churn is at a fruit packing shed. The best manager I've ever had was fired for no particular reason, along with his boss and several other employees. If you could not make the customers give you a good review (hard to do when they did maintenance every Tuesday at 10pm), you would be fired.

Quit holding people accountable for things outside of their control.There's no point in a liberal vacation policy if people are fired for taking a few days off. I will not work for a company that does not have compassion for its employees.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!