Netflix

www.netflix.com
Employer Engaged

I loved it thought it was very easy and I love helping people .

I worked at Netflix

Pros

well I want to be successful and I crave success more than ever and I feel like there's more opportunities at this job .

Cons

Trying to help as much people as you can in an orderly manner.

always think positive.

Ruthless, inhuman company. Stay away. Don't fall for the high salary or the culture hype.

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary. Free food. Shuttles. Generous with equipment and severance.

Cons

This company does not value its employees. They have terrible people-management at the top. Leaders, right from the very top down to the managers, take pride in firing subordinates. HR, or Talent as they like to call themselves, are good for nothing and are there to help the leaders in carrying out the firing.

What the other reviews say about the culture of fear at Netflix is 100% true. Leaders are never required to work with an individual to understand the reason for a delayed schedule or a genuine mistake. The culture encourages leaders to be trigger-happy and rewards leaders who ruthlessly fire individuals, giving them no chance to course-correct.

Once a leader decides to fire someone, which happens all too often at this company, HR and leadership are giddy with excitement. This is the moment they live for. Firing someone is a noble thing, they feel. After all, they are releasing the poor individual from their agony. In the eyes of the executives at the top, firing demonstrates decisiveness and strong leadership on the part of the leader.

That's not all. Most of the firing, over 90% of it, is unwarranted and unfair. Individuals that were once stars are suddenly found to be bad and worthy of discarding. In most cases, it is because the individual has fallen out of favor with their manager for whatever reason. Usually the reason isn't serious enough to be considered grounds for termination at any company. But Netflix isn't just any company. They pride themselves on their culture. The culture of fear. You can smell it. It stinks.

Dear job-seeker, stay away from this company. You have options. Go work at a company that values its employees.

I have no advice for you, Management. My only advice is for job seekers. Stay the hell away. The money isn't worth the stress.

Great place

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is different and you can leave it at the door on the way out. Free food.

Cons

DVD side will be closing in a few years.

Cold-hearted company with toxic culture that treats employees as a disposable commodity

Current Employee - Sr. Technologist in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sr. Technologist in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Known brand. Good compensation. Little to no process. They move quickly. Free lunches and snacks.

Cons

They are not interested in helping grow the careers of their employees. Their philosophy is to hire and retain superstars, give them challenging problems to solve, and pay them very well without having to deal with the career growth or welfare of their employees. Many fall for this BS culture, which is used by the company to justify getting rid of its employees regularly. They fire, without good reason, the very "superstars" that they had hired just a few months or years ago. Directors and Vice Presidents are constantly occupied in CYA tactics and throw their managers or individual contributors under the bus when the heat turns on them for something.

It's much too easy for Directors and VPs, without accountability or proper justification, to deflect blame by getting rid of someone under them.

Five F Rating! -> Frequent Firers For Frivolous Factors

Former Employee - Architect in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Architect in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- When they discard you like a used rag, they will hand you a good severance
    - Well-known brand, so everyone outside thinks you have a great job. Only you know how badly it sucks.

Cons

- Never-ending Russian roulette. Sooner or later you are toast. In the period that you survive, however, you will see your colleagues getting fired for no particular reason.
    - They're proud of their culture of fear.
    - No career growth.

- You reap what you sow. You are generating ill will among your best current and ex employees.
    - You claim to dislike golden handcuffs, yet many of your employees continue to work there solely because of the high salary even though they despise your callous culture of fear.

this company is sucks. very bad mangement and they are talk about culture all the times that is quiet crazy

Former Employee - Software Crasftman in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Crasftman in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

if you wants to work for known company in slicon valley, they well be good choice for u. they are also paying teh good money. enough to rent apartment nearby in aventinos if you are willing for eating cheap ramen for dinner. lunch is served for free at netflix mostly green salads and healthfull meats. also they are gving coke and other soda in the fridge also the peets coffee caff and decaff for your benefits.

Cons

no prospective for ones carrier going forward. sooner later everybody be fired. then no people are left in the netflix. lol. just kiding. some incomptent peoples are there for over ten years, hehe making huge salaries.

your culture is talked a lot. all the time. it's the bad culture to terminate the best people for unknown reason. the moralizing of the employee is going down all the time over here.

No Job security. Poor Management!

Former Employee - Senior Position in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Position in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Benefits and perks. Catered Food.

Cons

No proper training. No room for error or else you will get fired culture. Politics. Arrogant Managers.
    I worked at Netflix for almost 5 years and I've always had great feedback during 360 reviews except for 1 person. That person who was new to the company gave me a bad review last year and that's the reason I lost my job. My manager made that review as a back-up to lay me off and totally lied that I am no longer fit for the job. Feeling betrayed and unjustly fired.

Be aware.. What goes around comes around!

Trapped & Talented

Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lunch, healthcare, experience and unlimited vacations.

Cons

No growth and the culture IS too good to be true, we live and breed fear.

Management fears there own position that they can't efficiently manage their team.

Fantastic company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom and autonomy. No nonsense around things like expenses, vacation, etc. Just be professional and make sure you're helping you're team be effective and pretty much everything will be okay.

Cons

Since you get near total autonomy, figuring out just _what_ to do can be challenging. You have to consider options carefully. It's also easy to get a bit of imposter syndrome since you're working with some of the very top names in the industry.

Keep it up!

Only thing I would maybe change is to add a bit more emphasis on the importance of building personal brand and a bit more transparency about how compensation review works.

Great Company, Inexperienced Management

Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Driven culture, Cross Team Collaboration.

Cons

There are a couple of cons that seem to be proving to become obstacles for productivity. My Director loves to bully and has fired the valuable individuals on our team. She is afraid of anyone that is smarter than her that also contributes and gets recognized for their contribution. Instead of building a great team, sadly this Director manages two unrelated teams with no knowledge on how to manage either. She thrives on driving fear. Sad as most of the people here are genuinely great people.

Don't sacrifice two great teams for a poor director.