Netflix Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Pretty much the whole cultural deck - highlights are compensation, no micromanagement and the vacation policy.

Cons

I honestly don't have any big complaints about working here.

It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when".

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology.
    Pay was above market.
    Work with fantastic people.
    Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening.
    Lousy communication between groups.
    Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group".
    80 hr work week *minimum*.
    No work-life balance.
    I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good "brand" for your resume, I guess. Outsiders will be impressed, if only because the PR machine has been in overdrive convincing people that this is still an innovative company. But a stock price bubble does not equal innovation.

Cons

Most of the honest reviews on here (meaning those not written by HR) have already covered it, but it's a terrible place to work - a pressure-cooker environment full of overpaid but insecure bosses who manage through fear and intimidation. Crazy high turnover in every group, lots of good people getting pushed out all the time by their managers. Then those people are blamed and insulted once they're gone and unable to defend themselves. The company also stopped innovating long ago. The salary, though substantial, is not worth it, especially when you see the C-level insiders routinely cashing out millions in shares like thieves in the night. Hmmm, what do they know that everyone else doesn't? Look elsewhere - there are many other more humane, ethical, and socially rewarding places to get paid well...like Wall Street.

Keep selling as many shares as possible before the Wall Street lemmings finally figure you guys out. You have done a great job of this so far.

Ok place to work. Very little training.

Former Employee - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very tech savvy environment. Everyone gets a cell phone when hired including contractors. Lots of technical goodies to play with. Launch day parties were cool. Most people seemed laid back. Unlimited vacation.

Cons

Very little training for the job, with minimal direction. I felt like I was just thrown in and expected to swim.

More training and support for the employees. More structure.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Freedom & Responsibility culture. Everyone in the company knows the company's direction well. We are responsible for helping the company move to the right direction and we are free to choose how to help the company.
    * Transparency. The management team spends time with everyone in the company explaining how the company operates.

Cons

* No training program. You are on your own to improve your technique skills.

I hope that the top management get more feedbacks from everyone in the company. We are a very focused company. However we may find another big thing if we spend some resources on innovative ideas, which do not match the company's focus.

Great summer job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As much as the customers could be awful sometimes, Netflix really tried to make us happy. The supervisors were very hands on, and always there to help. My team of co-workers were very helpful too. We were always in group chats discussing issues. There were always contests going around, and fresh fruits in the break rooms.

Cons

The only con really is that you don't get to choose your hours. You may get stuck with the overnight shift, or working all weekend days. They do pay you more for those hours though.

Horrible place to work, on every level

Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is good. Pretty much nothing else.

Cons

I was constantly fearful for my job and stressed out of my mind every day I came to work. Bosses were willing to lie and cover up their own errors to save their jobs. Lots of cold, heartless managers with no outside interests, no families - nothing but Netflix in their lives. Married people beware - when you interview there, ask about how Netflix feels about the "3 B's" - Babies, Birthdays and Brides (spoiler alert: they don't want to hear anything about them). Although some employees had dogs, so they had that going for them. I got into a disagreement with my manager and was fired soon thereafter. But it was for the best - I had tried to get pregnant for over a year while at Netflix but was so miserable and depressed it never happened. Less than a year after leaving this hellhole my husband and I welcomed a beautiful new baby girl. So this is probably a Pro - thank you Netflix for helping me and my family bring a little 'B' into this world, and thank you for making me realize that there are more things to life than big salaries and delusional arrogance, posturing and self-promotion. Hopefully the rest of your employees will one day see the light.

Retire.

Excessive Turn-over, Work Mobbing, Culture of Fear, Corporate BS at it's FINEST

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay. that's it. but it will feel like dirty money. after you've been here long enough (although evident to me right after I started...) you will wish you never started here because it will suck away your life and soul... the money won't matter. Oh... this was Pros. crap.

Cons

everything. insecure people. arrogance. letting go of people completely arbitrarily. using the annual 360 reviews as a harmless way for peer- reviews; then using those peer reviews as evidence... just as an FYI when you get a team of overpaid, untalented, bored people writing peer reviews it's an incubator for workplace mobbing (look it up) which happens ALL the time. Every week there are at least 1, if not 2 or 3 emails that go around about a team reorganization because someone was let go. When those people are your close colleagues you've successfully worked with; it's completely gross to have to accept their departure while you hang on. It wears on your soul. and, before you know it you HOPE you are let go.

start a training program. stop thinking the world revolves around the bottom line. Care about your employees and stop treating them so poorly.

Very fast paced ,exciting new technologies, pioneers

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No micromanagement
    Get work done - with the Freedom and Responsibility attitude allows flexibility
    Need to be pro-active and self starters and constantly deliver

Cons

might be intimidating for anyone not used to working at the fast demanding pace

Loved the transparency and the faith execs had on each one of us - making us feel we belonged

Not too bad

I worked at Netflix

Pros

pay, seemingly lax supervisors. food karts

Cons

All of the survey policies got to be overwhelming.

Treat folks better.