Netflix

www.netflix.com
Employer Engaged

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Netflix (8 DVD plan + streaming), benefits, time off policies.

Cons

They treat you like a "Number" instead of a person, definitely need a "thick skin" for this job, Expect to work odd hours if you don't have seniority for choosing shifts.

Well treated, enjoyable environment.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Culture deck is very close to accurate. From my experience, few things have differed from the information available publicly. I was concerned that there would be a 'culture of fear' before I joined but it has not been so.
    * Exceptional senior management. They keep the company on course, share information freely, are incredibly knowledgable, and open to answering any employee questions. I have never been more impressed with a senior management team.
    * Comp and benefits are outstanding. I started about a year ago and since then the company has increased my salary by over 50%. Having had recent, competitive offers, it is truly top-of-market pay.
    * Good work-life balance and unlimited time off.

Cons

* No formalized training or advancement. If you want to try out different teams or roles this isn't the place.
    * No long-term career objectives. Nearly every single engineer has the same title so there are no career goals to work towards. This also means no promotions (unless you're in management).
    * All engineering positions are based out of Los Gatos. If you live elsewhere in the Bay, commuting is a requirement.

Great place to work overall. My biggest request would be to provide the opportunity to work in other teams for the experience, learning, and novelty. Additionally, I personally feel that it would be beneficial to have long-term career goals and objectives to work towards.

Culture Deck Is Real

Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of an innovative and transparent company has kept me working here for several years. Not only do I love what I do, but what keeps me here is the environment. We live out the culture deck. Politics do not prohibit me from doing my job or speaking out when I have a recommendation on what could be better. Collaboration is encouraged, and it's easy to do when you have high-performing peers and understanding managers.

Cons

None to reference at this time.

Keep up with the great transparency.

A roller coaster ride of excitement and stress

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent salary, smart people, great time flexibility, satisfying projects. The company values of freedom and responsibility are really like treating employees like adults and trusting them to execute the best overall decisions for the company, which is effective when enough context is given. Innovation and experimentation is rewarded well and many opportunities for ongoing education are offered.

Cons

Internal politics. Lots of blame game behavior played as subtly (yet transparently if you pay attention) as possible. Some managers spend too much time in the code instead of managing their team. I had the experience of offering many recommendations for improving team performance and not having them implemented because the culture here is to just do what you want and either get rewarded hugely or sacked. Management coaching appears to be improving, but inconsistently applied. I've seen people who need to be let go stay on for a long time with many opportunities to change and people who were very competent let go without much warning that they need to change something. I've also seen projects executed that solved the business problems presented but were dropped because management didn't like it rather than some other specific reasons.

Management is not about process, I think Netflix has that correct. Excellent management is about getting problems out of the way of employees so that they can excel and about managing interpersonal conflicts so that a team can leverage one another's strengths to push the team higher than before. I think this element is missing on some teams at Netflix and that there is too much emphasis on daily high performance (important) and little building of loyalty or camaraderie.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment, good buzz

Cons

No cons really. Its a pretty hectic pace at times

Netflix knows what they want you to do and how to let you do it

Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The QA department when I was there was small and friendly. They give you plenty of flexibility to do the job the way it needs to be done without lots of micromanagement.

Cons

Not a lot of job security or advancement potential. If you can't produce the kind of results they're looking for you won't last long, and even if you do you probably won't move up much unless you really really want to.

Not a great place to work

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Compensation was good. That's about it.

Cons

Management is horrible. Bumbling idiots. They only know two ways to address a problem. Write an algorithm or fire people. It's a culture of firing.

Worked through ascenda corp.

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Frisco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Frisco, TX (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back, you can be yourself whether you have blue hair, tats all over your face or the like. Free Netflix for life! And easy to move up.

Cons

Some supervisors are very rude and pushy and stuck up. they will hire anybody.

Make sure some supervisors after properly trained before they ruin potential candidates.

Great culture, team, technology and innovation.

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always innovating and moving forward.

Cons

I enjoy working here - no cons for me.

Solid Job, sad to see it's closing

Current Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Netflix, PTO, Good Vacation, Severance, Good Work-Life Balance

Cons

Talking to the general public, policies can be hard to deliver to customers, might close your Call Center