Netflix Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
457 reviews filtered by

A roller coaster ride of excitement and stress

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent salary, smart people, great time flexibility, satisfying projects. The company values of freedom and responsibility are really like treating employees like adults and trusting them to execute the best overall decisions for the company, which is effective when enough context is given. Innovation and experimentation is rewarded well and many opportunities for ongoing education are offered.

Cons

Internal politics. Lots of blame game behavior played as subtly (yet transparently if you pay attention) as possible. Some managers spend too much time in the code instead of managing their team. I had the experience of offering many recommendations for improving team performance and not having them implemented because the culture here is to just do what you want and either get rewarded hugely or sacked. Management coaching appears to be improving, but inconsistently applied. I've seen people who need to be let go stay on for a long time with many opportunities to change and people who were very competent let go without much warning that they need to change something. I've also seen projects executed that solved the business problems presented but were dropped because management didn't like it rather than some other specific reasons.

Advice to Management

Management is not about process, I think Netflix has that correct. Excellent management is about getting problems out of the way of employees so that they can excel and about managing interpersonal conflicts so that a team can leverage one another's strengths to push the team higher than before. I think this element is missing on some teams at Netflix and that there is too much emphasis on daily high performance (important) and little building of loyalty or camaraderie.

Culture Deck Is Real

Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of an innovative and transparent company has kept me working here for several years. Not only do I love what I do, but what keeps me here is the environment. We live out the culture deck. Politics do not prohibit me from doing my job or speaking out when I have a recommendation on what could be better. Collaboration is encouraged, and it's easy to do when you have high-performing peers and understanding managers.

Cons

None to reference at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great transparency.

Netflix knows what they want you to do and how to let you do it

Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The QA department when I was there was small and friendly. They give you plenty of flexibility to do the job the way it needs to be done without lots of micromanagement.

Cons

Not a lot of job security or advancement potential. If you can't produce the kind of results they're looking for you won't last long, and even if you do you probably won't move up much unless you really really want to.

Not a great place to work

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Compensation was good. That's about it.

Cons

Management is horrible. Bumbling idiots. They only know two ways to address a problem. Write an algorithm or fire people. It's a culture of firing.

Senior Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Things to watch out are to ensure that you always deliver on time and to specification. No excuses.

Cons

They lay off at a very short notice and recycle 10% every quarter.

Great culture, team, technology and innovation.

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always innovating and moving forward.

Cons

I enjoy working here - no cons for me.

Solid Job, sad to see it's closing

Current Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Netflix, PTO, Good Vacation, Severance, Good Work-Life Balance

Cons

Talking to the general public, policies can be hard to deliver to customers, might close your Call Center

Worked through ascenda corp.

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Frisco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Frisco, TX (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back, you can be yourself whether you have blue hair, tats all over your face or the like. Free Netflix for life! And easy to move up.

Cons

Some supervisors are very rude and pushy and stuck up. they will hire anybody.

Advice to Management

Make sure some supervisors after properly trained before they ruin potential candidates.

I feel like I'm on a sinking ship...

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many left, pay is decent, oatmeal and ramen in the breakroom, that's about it.

Cons

Been here 5 years with top stats never had a raise but did get a pay cut. Overwhelming sense of managers whispering behind closed doors. Pretty much anyone can get fired anytime for literally any reason. Doesn't matter how good you are at your job, I haven't talked to a supervisor or manager in months. Constant calls with limited out-dated knowledge base to refer to. No notice on changes or training after initial hiring. Fear based environment. If you have any other option it's probably better.

Advice to Management

This used to be such a nice place to work... now we are cattle herded through troughs.

Disappointing

Current Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Salary and benefits; catered lunches. Everyone at Netflix is very talented, smart and professional

Cons

There's very little understanding of the 'Freedom and Responsibility" mantra. The culture tends to promote throwing each other under the bus mentality. The marketing department has very little direction. Reminded me of a kids soccer game; everyone huddled up around the ball without any direction on where to go. Would really benefit from some consistent direction and communication.

Advice to Management

Consider establishing better forms of communications and direction for entire teams and individual employees. Many people are spending their days confused on direction, goals and job responsibilities (areas of focus and ownership).