New York Sports Club

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and access to all areas of Gym (in 23 reviews)

• Free gym membership, co-workers are generally good (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance, we were turned into robots, no integrity, no value on what we were offering, terrible hours and 3-4 12 hour days a month (in 4 reviews)

• Because it's very sales oriented atmosphere "the needs of your business" are long hours (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience ay NYSP was very educational

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had an opportunity to meet all types of people from the everyday person on the street to celebrities. It was so much fun.

ConsAs with any organization the different types of personalities one works with can make the job a bit of a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally get to know your employees that work the front line. Don't just listen to your club managers. Come and meet them and experience them for yourself.

Great environment, limited growth potential

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ (US)

ProsFree membership to all clubs is a great way to keep your routine interesting. Great environment with wonderful co-workers. Day-to-day responsibilities are consistent and for the most part worry free. Overall pleasant experience. Very structured system in personal training memberships. You get out of it what you put in.

ConsVery limited opportunities to advance in the company. If you do plan on moving up, also plan on being there for a long time before an opportunity comes around. Too many personal trainers fighting for the same pool of clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign more responsibility and increase pay. Too often people are just standing around looking bored (because they are). Give more opportunities to promote from within.

learned lots of customer service, housekeeping multitasking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit builds on you, lets you know how to satisfy both needs of customers and management becomes like mini community of itself

Consnot every customer every manager can be pleased, however you learn to just do what you can do .

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

poor management

Welcome Team (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

Prosfree gym membership, meet a lot of people which allows you to network

Consmicro management, only care about new prospects and not current members

Advice to Senior Managementlead by example, nothing gets done

My stint at NYSC was brief, thank the Gods!

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat workout equipment and as an employee you can use any of the gyms.
    Clean and always plenty of towels.
    The members were friendly and great to work with.

Cons- Abysmally low pay rates for trainers and reception - you know the old saying "You get what you pay for."

- Incredibly unprofessional behavior, incestuous in house dating / sexual conduct which resulted in favoritism for some and unfair treatment for others.

- A miserly 70 /30 percentage split for personal training sessions in favor of NYSC.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the minimum pay rate of the people that you trust to train your members. ESPECIALLY when you make being certified a prerequisite. ACE cert to make $8 an hour? Really?

Challenging and conflicting time spent as a NYSC employee.

Swim Instructor (Former Employee) White Plains, NY (US)

ProsFree gym membership and access to all areas of Gym.

ConsWorking with children if involved in swim lessons and birthday parties. Also, light cleaning is involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for low level employees to move up the chain of command.

Good- not Great experience

Program Manager (Former Employee) New Rochelle, NY (US)

ProsGood location, nice facility, great co-workers, nice members. The parking was a bit if a nuisance and the company would not pay for anyone under manager status.

ConsLow pay, long hours especially during close-outs, before I quit they had added a 3rd monthly closeout which was ridiculous. I also disliked having to constantly go to surrounding businesses and hand out flyers. Very demeaning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it easy on your constant call drives and long hours. The pressure to hit everyday is what drove me away. We were never commended on what we did for the previous month if we didn't hit our goal. A lot it time, effort and energy go into every dollar your staff brings in. Remember that.

pleasant

Corporate Sales (Current Employee) Garden City, NY (US)

Prosteam building ,motivating,great member experiences.

Conslong hours ,not enough management support and underpay.High turnover in management.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salaries ,Better communication with staff.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

bad

Prosfree membership. that is all.

Consbad mouthing of employees to customers. cancelling of memberships of family members of employees when completely unwarranted. manager made phony phone calls to both members and employees. greedy. refusal to give time off, even when the employee needed surgery. cursing out of employees in front of members. pay raises based on favoritism, while taking away money from other employees. payment of employees on training session takes months.

Was ok, management was lax and weird hours were unattended

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) Lake Grove, NY (US)

ProsFree membership, use of facilities...I worked there for a summer and enjoyed being able to work there. I was able to use everything they had to offer and it was very clean and the employees were nice.

Consweird hours as lone employee, lax management. Working their I felt uncomfortable after a certain point as the only employee. late hours were terrible by myself, people would never leave when its time to close.

Worked for New York Sports Club? Contribute to the Community!