New York & Company Reviews

Updated 30 August 2014

2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • the discount is great when buying clothes (in 17 reviews)

• None, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women (in 52 reviews)

• Work-life balance is often not great, and the staff is spread too thin (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

The associates are fabulous people, the customers are quite tame for the usual mall-goers, great benefits/discounts, customer service comes naturally, and managers are all extremely fun and flexible. The initial hourly pay is over minimum wage, which was also unexpected. Training was quite easy and the POS programs were extremely easy to navigate on the registers.

Cons

Barely any hours for part-time associates unless people resigned/were fired.

Needs a reboot

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Some very smart and kind people with a lot to offer the business.
    Lots of opportunity for advancement
    Dedicated people who want the best for the business

Cons

Empty positions were slow to be filled if they were filled at all.
    Morale was in the dumpster.
    Lots of negativity from the top.

Find your target customer and focus on her.
    Reboot the culture and inject some much needed positivity and motivation.
    Get enough manpower to drive the business forward.

Great work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, MA (US)

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved working with people who were hard workers, great managers and a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Not good pay and didn't carry some items that were fairly popular that the other store did.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working with people that had the same passion for fashion as myself.

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

Great working environment. My co-workers and management team were very friendly and nice. A very fashion forward company for the aspiring business woman. Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well.

Cons

Working during the holidays, such as Black Friday, Christmas, or New Years can be overwhelming. However, that's the case with any retailer.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bronx, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, discount, clothes, friendly, staff

Cons

Little pay slightly above minimum wage

Nomadvice

Hang ON!!!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of different experiences fast! It's like New York... if you want fast paced and room to grow, it is amazing for that.

Cons

It's fast! If you get behind in the workload you are in trouble. But if you strive for that sort of thing to keep up you will be fine.

Listen to your customers more. They are willing and happy to tell you what they want. Employees have lives too. Remember what holidays are all about please

Not My Ideal Retail Job

Current Employee - Management Support Associate
    Current Employee - Management Support Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

My manager is very good about supporting her employees and she has helped me further my experience/position within the company multiple times.

Cons

-Unless you are Assistant Store Manager or higher you cannot work full time.
    -The company is extremely focused on pushing the credit card, and we recently started using a different method to goal ourselves on credit. It used to be by precent so if we had 100 transactions, and 20 of those were returns, and 30 of those people already had cards, we had 50 opportunities to open a new card. Our credit goal was always around 6% for the day, so we would need roughly 8 cards to meet our goal for that day. Slightly confusing at first, but it takes into consideration the people who wouldn't have the chance to open a card, so it is practical. Now, the new way disregards the people who already have cards with us, takes our hard numbers from last year, and just increases that number randomly for this year. Unfortunately this makes no sense as at least half of our customers are repeat customers and already have a card. Our customer base isn't really growing but our goals are. They don't understand that we can't sell cards to the people who opened last year.
    -The clothes are TERRIBLE quality.
    -We also do not have the payroll for anything, and we are constantly understaffed. We often fall behind on freight and metro because during the week we do not have more than two person coverage, so we either have to focus on customer service or tasking, never both.
    -We have storewide promotional changes every couple of days that switch back and forth constantly. Just this week Sunday-wednesday was all pants b1g1 free, everything else b1g1 50%, Thursday was b1g1 free pants and everything else 40%, and this morning (Friday) we switched back to b1g1 free pants and everything else b1g1 50%. And of course we don't have the coverage/time to get these changes doe efficiently.
    -There have been some new policies put into place called "Customer First" that are utterly ludicrous. I am all about exceptional customer service, but these policies are essentially "the only rule is there are no rules", meaning customers get to do whatever they want. Oh, your Redline item says "final sale" on all the marketing in the store, on your receipt, and I explicitly told you, yet you STILL insist on returning it? Ok, sure, no problem! And your coupons state they are not combinable with NY Deals, Doorbusters, Redlines or other coupons but I have to apply them anyway because you're screaming at me? Great! Yeah. Seriously NY&C, why bother wasting the ink on the written policies if it doesn't matter?
    -I really don't like the behavior of the women who shop here. Most of the customers are very stuck up, rude, and will fling the words "I'm calling corporate" in your face for the smallest thing. I am always very polite and as accommodating necessary, but on multiple occasions I have been yelled at/verbally abused for stupid things like declining a coupon if it does not combine with a sale. Our store's traffic is split equally between 30-50 year old upper middle class white women and black or hispanic women whose shop the sales then their cards get declined at the register.
    -Lastly, the music is an annoying mix of 1 Direction and club mix Hip Hop music. Nothing our target customer or any of the employees want to listen to.

Please sort out the promo changes, find a better way to goal for credit (come on, 24 cards in a week is insanity if we couldn't even make 14 cards last week), allot more payroll hours, and set some guidelines that customers cannot get around just with a quick complaint to upper management. They're grown women who should realize the consequences of buying final sale items without a trip to the fitting room first.

Not good if you want an actual income

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Palmdale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palmdale, CA (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount is the main pro and some of the co-workers are really cool. Clothes are okay and great to wear while at work.

Cons

Not enough hours, management doesn't communicate clearly. You also cannot wear any clothes that you got at the store during your shift if the item of clothing is on clearance or no longer in the store.

Give employees more hours

assistant manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

the discount is great when buying clothes

Cons

not enough payroll hours to support the workload

Depends on the managers' attitude.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Gilbert, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Gilbert, AZ (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

If with a great group of employees it's a great job and loads of fun, but if management changes it can ruin how the whole group interacts.

Cons

Constant changing shifts week to week; managers change ever 3 months; hours good some weeks, worse other weeks; never seems constant

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!