New York & Company

New York & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott

Gregory Scott

Pros
  • None, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it(in 17 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, great discount and extra discount days(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women(in 52 reviews)

• Work-life balance is often not great, and the staff is spread too thin(in 10 reviews)

Okay Experience

ProsGreat co-workers
    Merchandise is beautiful
    Discount is great
    Music in the store is exciting

ConsThe pressure to sell credit cards is too much. If you don't meet your nightly goal, you get in trouble with the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe less pressure on the credit cards; pretty much anyone who wants a credit card already has one since the store has very loyal repeat customers.

Crazy hours, but the people you work with make it all worth while!

Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe pay and benefits are pretty great. The people I work with are some of the hardest working people I know. I have so much respect for the work ethic of my store manager and my district manager! Also, everyone is usually very friendly and easy to work with. We truly are a customer-first environment.

ConsThere are difficult customers from time to time, but that is expected at any retail store. I don't like how overtime is only $4 an hour because that is usually just blown away with taxes. You definitely put in a lot of overtime at this company, so getting paid half-time for overtime is not acceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime should not be half-time. I love the new customer first movement set in place!

Worked with great people

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Cranberry, PA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule, great discount and extra discount days

ConsTons of hours during holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher salary for a job which requires a big commitment would keep an employee longer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do Not Apply

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it!

ConsHorrible place to for for. As a sales associate, all management is concerned about is getting employees to open Credit Cards and will badger you if you don't. Thing is Associates don't get bonuses when they open credit cards, but the managers do. What ever happened to customer service?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales staff with respect.

Fast paced, relentless calendar

ProsCompensation, the people are fantastic

ConsThe monthly deliveries are very challenging, very fast pace.

Can't stay much longer

MSA (Current Employee) Flint, MI (US)

ProsYou always have things to do, employee discount isn't terrible unless you have a store wide sale, and if you get credit you do get rewarded with more than 4 hours a week.

ConsI have worked for the company for two years and was promoted to MSA. They expect you to have management expectations without the training of a manager or the wages of management. High turnover rate, forcing employees to quit, if you do not get credit then you do not get hours, the micromanagement is ridiculous, when I could use an on call shift employee I was yelled at for going over on pay roll, and to top it off I asked for a vacation a year in advance that a previous district manager approved to find out a week before my trip that I am not able to go anymore. No PTO either.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect, from store manager down to associates. You cannot expect an associate to only work 4 hours a week to live and you cannot expect your management to bend over backwards for a company that does not care about them.

It's Ok

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Okemos, MI (US)

ProsMy store manager is awesome and we have some great customers

ConsVERY little hours; company does NOT care if you want to ever go home to see your family; you get threatened with being fired if you don't work on Black Friday so I haven't spent a Thanksgiving with my family in the 4 years I have been with this company; the pay sucks; the push for the credit card is absolutely ridiculous- in East lansing a majority of the shoppers are Asian and cant speak english for one so all they do is stare while you rattle off the stupid benefits and then they dont even have the proper forms needed to apply for a card, but we still get penalized for that; our store is too lenient on girls who dont do work while they are on their shift or the girls that choose to not show up or pitch a fit to leave early.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the hours to the associates who deserve them; FIX THE RIDICULOUS COUPONS!!!! It SUCKS when customers sit and scream at you because the coupons are beyond difficult to use; let people go home for the holidays

Disappointing

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI like everyone I work with, except my manager. Most of the time there's something to do.

ConsMy biggest issue is the credit cards. First, someone (in corporate, I'm guessing) came up with the idea to ask three times and get three no's before leaving the customer alone about it. Then, when they realized "oh, we're actually just making people angry," they came up with the "mention-mention-ask" idea. I suppose this is a little less annoying than the first idea, but I still feel like I'm harassing customers. You can tell the customers are annoyed, yet the credit card goals that are set remain unrealistically high. You can't force people to open credit cards, and harassing them isn't going to help.

My other issue is scheduling. When I was in school, I would actually get decent hours (24 or so) a week, which worked nicely for me. Now that it's summer and my schedule is open, I'm getting a whopping 8 hours a week. The rest of the associates get the same. However, my manager continues to hire back summer help and new employees, so no one is getting more than 10 or so hours a week. Saving money is impossible when I'm not getting any hours, it's really frustrating.

Lastly, price changes are ridiculous. Why bother with a floor set when you're just going to change everything the next day? Or if your manager is going to decide to go against the floor set and do what she wants?

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you're a business, but could you please focus a LITTLE less on selling your cheaply made, overpriced products and credit cards and focus more on your employees? And could you pay attention to who you hire on as managers? My manager is ridiculous; this is a woman who talks trash about her employees to other employees, lies, blames others for her own mistakes, and has no idea what she's doing on a daily basis. It's very hard to put up with.

Not enough hours! Might leave soon.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe best thing I like about working here is the people that I work with, very friendly, open minded people and ready to help if you're in a problem with a customer. Most jobs don't have that type of environment so that's what I really like about it.

ConsThe hours you work and the days per week aren't set for me. I HATE the "on call" shifts(means you have to call to see if they need you) that I'm on. I find it really stupid that at a retail store there's on call shifts. Last week I worked once, which was 4 hours and the rest of the week I was on call and they didn't need me! Now I'm in college and doing summer classes and working now is a bit difficult because I can't make solid plans with friends or family because of how ridiculous my job has my hours set! My manager is hiring more people now and that means less hours for everyone else! She can't go over 40 hours a week without getting chewed out by her boss, so if it goes over 40 hours she has to cut down hours for people. especially me since I'm still new and only been working a month so far. Plus I don't like how I have to basically harass customers at the register for them to open a NY&C credit card, my manager literally pushes me to get them to open one, and I hate doing it because I find it really rude and awkward how much words I have to put in the customers mouth so that it's better business for the store. If customers are always right, why should I put them in a position I don't want them to be in?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring more people if you can't afford enough hours to everyone else. Scheduling needs to be more organized.

I doubt I'm going to stay much longer

ProsThe other sales associates are great to work with and fun to be around. And there is a nice discount .

ConsThe scheduling sucks. Being on-call is the worst, you really can't make any plans because they might call you in. Even if it is a slow day they might call you in. They are also terrible about breaks. I have worked a 6 hour shift before and then have to close and they never let me have a break. I also really hate how I basically have to harass people about the store credit card.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!