NewPage

George F. Martin

Long Hours

I worked at NewPage

ProsCompensation was Ok Old leaderhip

ConsNo Advancement very much who you know there

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the mills The place is falling apart

New Page I just wish they'd been bigger

Logistics Expeditor (Former Employee)
Miamisburg, OH (US)

I worked at NewPage for more than a year

ProsTraining, LSS, and good work structure

Constoo many meetings, too many people with tenure that held sway over vast amounts of work that often went undone.

Terrible

Rumford, ME (US)

I worked at NewPage full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay for the region.
Decent work life balance

ConsMurky standards by which your performance is measured.
No empowerment - very much a "yes-man" work environment
Terrible management. Its Comprised of individuals who either due to lack of interpersonal skills or of mobility ( deep roots in the area) cannot leave. They seem angry a lot of the time, lack vision, bitter and just generally unhappy. In turn this leads to a toxic work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees. Many on the ground level are extremely hard working, talented people who if given the chance can come up with idea to save the company a lot of money.
Live up to your corporate creed of "Candid Communication" instead of creating an atmosphere where honest communication is discouraged.

Business has serious issues

Rumford, ME (US)

I worked at NewPage full-time

ProsThe job pays really well, and the benefits are very good. Most people like the shifts - 12hr rotating shifts for production, M-Th for maintenance, M-F for management/engineering.

ConsUpper management is absent. Middle management is dysfunctional as it tries to fill the vacuum: rude, disorganized, unprofessional, confused. Front line managers are unsupported, generally good at what they do, but leaving in droves. Hourly workers are completely disenfranchised. Layoffs are common, and the uncertainty creates a poisonous atmosphere. Workers are old, and they care less about the mill and more about getting to retirement; and younger workers are jaded by the recurring layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire mid/upper management to treat all employees with respect; putting up posters about ethics is no replacement for actually acting ethically. The people they disparage have the power to undercut your profitability, and some of them do so. But some of them make decisions that save thousands of dollars every day, even though they know you don't care that they make those efforts. Respect that.

Require HR to understand law and contracts, and to make clear, informed decisions. They're responsible for people's livelihoods, and they don't seem to know what they're doing most of the time.

Be visible, vocal, honest, and predictable. Make strategic decisions that imply that you are planning for the mill's long-term health, rather than that you are preparing to cut and run.

VERY LARGE CORP. ATMOSPHERE

I worked at NewPage full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood hours, good pay, good benefits, good employees. Employees work hard, contribute willingly to community needs and are just good people.

ConsManagement refuses to take responsibility and has a Corporate attitude where they separate what they do from the rest of the company. Some UNION attitudes at work with the employees too.

Advice to Senior ManagementFace the consequences of your actions and take responsibility.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Opportunities for growth and relocation

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at NewPage full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGrowth opportunities within departments and locations outside corporate offices

ConsFinancial stability of company and industry

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow up with employees on state of the market and industry

A limited overview

I worked at NewPage

ProsWages are very good. Some positions present a challenge and a sense of accomplishment. Many of your co-workers are great to work with.

ConsNot all things are as they seem. There often seems that an agenda exists but is not shared with everyone. Some positions have no chance for advancement due to union seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Most of your employees are devoted to the Company's success and work hard to be part of that success.

Papermaker

Papermaker (Former Employee)
Whiting, WI (US)

I worked at NewPage full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay and benefits. Great co-workers.

ConsNO home life. Work and sleep work and sleep.

Great employees, poor industry, terrible leadership

Director, IT (Current Employee)

I have been working at NewPage full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe employees are great to work with and generally speaking a nice place to work.

ConsLeadership is very poor, focused mostly on themselves and their long-time buddies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decision for the good of the company and not your own pockets.

Good company but bad industry

Finace Process Optimization Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at NewPage full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the employees are great to work with. SAP is the ERP and I enjoyed working on it.

ConsJust got out of bankruptcy and are laying off 2 to 3 employees a week at the corporate headquarters. Expenses have been minimized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with the plans for the company and its employees.

Worked for NewPage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NewPage reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NewPage CEO George F. Martin. All 31 reviews are posted anonymously by NewPage employees.