Nitro

Nitro Reviews

Updated Mar 21, 2014

Nitro CEO Sam Chandler

Sam Chandler

More excited about coming to work every single day

Co-Founder (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI am a long time employee of Nitro. Yesterday I was reminded of how far we have come when we presented our annual Sean Stewart Values Award and we had over 130 Nitronauts to consider when voting.

I thought it appropriate to share part of what this award means to the team at Nitro. Here is an excerpt from a note our CEO sends to the team each year to announce that voting is open:

============

Sean was a great Nitronaut and a great friend to many of us. He was one of the very first members of the original team. He initially worked in support and product management, and who subsequently went on to establish our direct and channel Enterprise business in Europe. When he passed away in March 2010 in London he was the highest-performing sales executive at Nitro, and the most amazing ambassador for our culture that you could find. Even though he had long established himself as a sales guy, he continued to help out with support, QA, and anything he felt he could contribute to. He was always a pleasure to deal with, probably the nicest person you ever met, super hard working, passionate about Nitro, knew the product inside and out, and had the results on the board to prove how talented he was. He was also the master of well-timed, but completely inappropriate jokes

Aside from his contribution at Nitro, Sean was a truly inspiring human being, who was the founder of and bass player for HTRK. As an artist, he was one of the best. HTRK supported the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Horrors on their European tours and had record deals in Berlin and London. Sean was a genuine rockstar – so when we talk about “rockstars” at Nitro, we really mean it…

When Sean passed away, we wanted to find a way to remember him properly. The result was the Sean Stewart Values Award. Four years on, it is a really big deal to those of us who knew him, and to his family, with whom we stay in touch. We send photos of the awards ceremony to his mother, father and sister each year.

============

Just like any start-up we've faced hurdles and had to work our way through them.

Nitro has grown more rapidly in the last year than any previous year. While it is easy to read about culture and plan to build something unique, it is never that easy. Right now though, I feel like we have just discovered the secret sauce!

We are now at a point where we are adding smarter and better people every day, increasing our production capacity and having more and more fun while doing it.

Sean will always be a part of who we are.

ConsThe only thing I have been wary of recently is having our cultural mix change with new additions. Somehow though, each new person is adding to the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to spread the load and honoring what the team, past and present, has built.

Nitro - Setting new benchmarks everywhere

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

ProsNitro is, quite simply, like no other. From the very first moment of the interview process you are introduced to the unique and colourful company spirit. Work hard, play hard. If you believe in what you do and you are looking for an opportunity to grow and advance, then this is the place for you.

ConsThat's a good question... I don't have one.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the magic!

Why come here?

I have been working at Nitro

ProsNothing to report at all.

ConsNeeds help to keep going.

All companies need to take a lead from Nitro

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

ProsNitro is unlike any other. It challenges itself constantly...mediocrity is not an option. As a disruptor and a challenger brand, Nitro aims for the stars and empowers its employees to reach even higher.

The organisation trusts its employees to deliver on its objectives and gives those individuals and groups all the support and tools needed not only to achieve those, but go beyond that.

Sure the perks are great, but what Nitro delivers in terms of job satisfaction is more important than a few nice lunches a week, an endless supply of alcohol and gym subsidies.

I have been around a while and I have always measured the effectiveness of an organisation, to be how people walk into work everyday. At Nitro people walk into work in with a smile and it stays there all day.

Nitronauts are a proud bunch...so they should be, we are building something really special here!

ConsYou have to search far and wide to find negatives around here.

The opportunity of a lifetime

Test Automation Engineer (Former Employee)
Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Nitro full-time for more than a year

ProsExceptional workplace culture. They really do make you feel like a member of the team, like you are part of the family - I know this sounds clichéd, but it really is that good. Lots of employee perks (24/7 beer fridge, breakfast / lunch provided, discount gym memberships, etc.).

Your work is always highly valued, your opinions always matter. Reasonably flat heirachy. Lots of freedom in roles (within reason) and opportunity for career growth.

ConsNot as many annual reviews as I would have preferred, some disconnects between different departments (due to time-zone differences and locations) lead to a bit of isolation at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the Nitronaut spirit!

Why Not grow with the best

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing people, great atmosphere that promotes growth and a collaboration of ideas. All of the upper level team is easily accessible whom make you feel welcome and greet you with a smile. The company is growing, yet small enough to get some hands on experience in a number of positions. Catered lunches are great, a fridge and shelves stacked with any snack you may wish for; and if not available it will be ordered. Those things are all great, but what makes it truly amazing are the handpicked teams and the 'work hard' 'play hard' environment that has been created. It's not everyday where you can have a meeting, build a product, and have a drink all while laughing at random stories from Australia, reenactments of scavenger hunts, random acts of silliness; all while feeling like you have been a part of the group from the beginning.

ConsIf you are not used to a fast paced environment then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look to your current staff and harness their talents while continuing to bring in individuals that will enhance the culture.

Being given the ability to learn and grow with a great company...

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

ProsThe one thing about Nitro I have noticed is how engaged Senior Management is with each employee. You want that in your employer. Health insurance, gym membership, wine tastings, catered lunches, and more make you want to go to bat for Nitro because they make it seem as if they are going to bat for you. I will also say Nitro will do anything to try and be better and they understand certain risks may be made and will fix it if it is not working.

ConsGrowing pains. Every company has growing pains and through these you have a learning experience. This can be viewed as a pro too but you can definitely see some decisions be made and they may or may not work out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

Never want to work anywhere else

Nitro Man (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat working environment - able to spread your wings and make a difference.
Friendly co-workers, love a beer with a work hard, play hard attitude.
It's been an amazing ride since joining.

ConsI've been here for awhile and there are the occasional frustrations but having worked at numerous Companies before this they pale into comparison. There are enough great people to speak to and work through anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! Working a treat so far.

Is there a negative star rating option?

Sales (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for more than a year

ProsAlcohol on premise to numb the pain of having to work at this sweat shop.

ConsDon't be fooled by the glowing reviews. Nitro had their administrative assistants and their internal recruiters write all the positive reviews to lure in more suckers. By having an artificially high star rating its easier for the internal recruiters to get more candidates to interview and accept positions they will ultimately regret 1 month after starting work.

They fire people often here, high turnover. Micromanaging.

Very cramped work spaces. No promoting from within. Unrealistic goals driven by an out of touch executive team. Long hours, no working from home. Taking time off is strongly discouraged.

Micromanaging.

Their tagline: No B*llsh#*. Real tagline: All B*llsh#*!

Did I mention micromanaging?

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and make changes before the mass exodus out of Nitro begins.

Fun, energized, challenging & amazing place to work

Search Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nitro full-time for less than a year

ProsTerrific opportunity to grow within an ever growing industry. Everyone comes to work passionate and driven to get the most out of there job day after day. This mixed in with the atmosphere and warmth of co-workers make it joy to wake up everyday and come to work.

ConsNone at this time to point

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow keep the culture and work life balance in tact!

Worked for Nitro? Contribute to the Community!

Nitro Videos

Nitro – Why Work for Us?

At Nitro, we’re changing the way the world works with documents. From the desktop to the cloud, we make it easy to create, edit, share, sign and collaborate – online or offline. More than 400,000 businesses run Nitro… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nitro reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Nitro CEO Sam Chandler. All 34 reviews are posted anonymously by Nitro employees.