Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL

2,840 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,851 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 123 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 232 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 116 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 177 reviews)

More Highlights

145 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great customers and lovely store

Former Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For a retailer, the benefits are good ... stock purchase plan, 401K with matching up to 2% of salary (though would be better at 5%), profit sharing, health insurance, dental plan, eye care plan, frequently free blood tests, etc. Customers overall are interesting and just plain fantastic!

Cons

Many of the managers, even for some of the largest departments of the company stores, are young and lack adequate experience.

Promote more senior energetic, successful sales people to manage and motivate departments.

work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good place to work at. good environment

Cons

no cons. good place to work at.

nothing

Nice company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

paid time-off from work is great

Cons

management needs a little help getting things togther

Satisfactory

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great customer service, awesome and caring employer.

Cons

Very competitive; not every employee is as qualified as they should be.

Women's Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I found a job that I truly enjoyed. I was able to merchandise the clothes while working with GREAT co-workers.

Cons

If you don't enjoy working with people then do not work here. This is a very stressful job but if you enjoy working with the clothes then this is the job for you!

None

6 Years in a review

Current Employee - Selling Department Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Selling Department Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package and room to grow if you are motivated and are a strong seller.

Cons

Not much work/life balance in management specifically during sales, inventories, and other in store events. It can be very difficult to find appropriate times to go on vacations with having different customer focused events just about every month as there is a lot of prep that goes into them for your team. Even though selling managers do make commission (and bonus when beating the company trend for that department) your expected salary is not enough with all the extra hours you work during major sales and holidays.

Hard to get promoted in certain departments

Former Employee - Barista in Oak Brook Mall Branch, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Oak Brook Mall Branch, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Okay starting pay in comparison to the rest of the job market, decent benefits if you work enough hours and work there long enough. Had some great co-workers at times, Loved the employee discount!

Cons

Depending on which department you work in I think it's very hard to get promoted. I worked in the espresso bar for a few years and was a good employee, never called off and was very reliable. I applied for multiple promotions and other positions that would have been considered promotions and was always rejected. I got the impression my regional manager had something to do with it because that certain person would pick on people they clearly didn't like. I enjoyed my work and also felt I had a lot of good ideas to improve the company and my ideas were often ignored, the regional would tease me and take credit for my ideas later on.

Please listen to some of the lower employees, regionals aren't always the ones coming up with the good ideas.

The most unfulfilling, unrewarding job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A handful of my coworkers. That's about it. Even the discount sucks.

Cons

- Commission (in your interview, they're going to make it sound super great but trust me, making $2000 one week and $500 the next is not a way to live)
    - Management (I'll get to that below)
    - Retail hours/holiday hours/special sale hours. You basically have no life.

This was my biggest problem. Management is brainwashed - they don't believe that employees should have a life outside of Nordstrom. I once requested off for family vacation and they asked me why I had to go. No, I'm not kidding. This happens with multiple employees and multiple different managers. They are the most un-encouraging managers I have ever known. If you don't sell what you're supposed to on a certain day, your job is threatened. For example, I'm from the Midwest. The Midwest has terrible winter weather. There was one day when it was -40 outside and I work in an outdoor mall. Not only did they keep the store open, but I got in trouble for not selling enough when there were about 10 customers in the entire store all day. They never cut you any slack for anything. You will feel so horrible about yourself and it will make your job harder and more miserable.

My advice to management: chill out. A lot of employees that work at Nordstrom don't want to be there long, regardless of what they tell you. Don't treat them like this is their career - it's not. Encourage them to do well, and maybe they'll care about doing well.

excellent

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Shoes in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Shoes in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The salary was good. work life balance could be okay dependent on the location.

Cons

always working on commission and having to meet the draw.

Managers that just dont care.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the customers are great. They love the store and really appreciate your help. You can make some real loyal customers and that is good when it comes to planning for events.

Cons

Some customers take advantage of the return policy, and those who work for commission can get it taken out of their check for up to a year if the items are returned.

Appreciate your employees more, and make them feel comfortable to talk to you.