Nordstrom

3,057 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,978 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Part Time Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% discount on all items

Cons

Too many sales associates makes it hard to make money.

Think of your employees that need the money to survive.

Good job for learning patience...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay (commision-based) and some benefits. Good job for college if you can stay part time.

Cons

Very competitive and sales sometimes stolen by other salespeople, not many incentives if one does not want to enter management or corporate.

The best summer job

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

The women in the lingerie department were really nice and willing to help me learn the ropes.

Cons

There were long hours when it came to the anniversary sale but the pay was great!

If cashiers help with a sale, they should be able to get a bit of commission.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really good company, they care about their employees.

Cons

Not very good with base pay, commission is good is you are at a high traffic store.

Be more helpful

Really let down by my managers.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Managers are understanding of personal issues, willing to work around them. Usually.
    -Some good training, but only from one of the three managers.
    -Hourly pay + commission (commission % varies upon dept.)
    -I got to work for a variety of companies outside of those I had previously managed before joining the Nordstrom team, and therefore learned a lot more about the different styles and methods used by other companies (i.e. studio cosmetics vs. natural... Smashbox vs. Laura Mercier)
    -Nordstrom Cafe & many wonderful restaurants within 5 min. walking distance (PF Changs, some sushi places, italian, steakhouses, etc) for lunch or after work.

Cons

-Nobody in the department is on the same page, because none of the managers are on the same page. Because of this, It very much so creates an atmosphere of "Fend for yourself!" and "Every man for himself!".
    -One manager tells you one thing, then another manager tells you something that contradicts the initial manager. Bring in the third manager and it gets even messier.
    -Extreme formation of cliques
    -Nobody is really your friend
    -Managers always seem too busy to help you when you're on the floor. You have to chase them down---literally, because they frequently don't pick up their phones or respond to the loudspeaker call throughout the store.

I was told during my 1st interview that I was being hired on as a counter manager (CM) in the cosmetics dept., but during my 2nd interview I was told I would be a beauty advisor, (BA). I was confused with this, but the hiring manager was willing to match my previous pay if I was willing to wait 1 month before being promoted to a CM. I was satisfied, until several months went by and they hadn't even allowed me to stay at any one counter for more than 1 week, let alone given me the CM position I was promised. I was even offered positions from other vendors in the dept. and my managers refused to let me transfer. I ended up leaving.

Be more upfront with your employees about what you're honestly willing to give them; do not lie to prospective employees during interviews simply because you want to have them on your team.

Actually one of the best retail jobs I've ever had

Former Employee - Beauty Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount for store & Nordstrom Rack
    Great new product training incentives
    Extensive product training
    Great health insurance
    Great location
    Fun store events
    Customer satisfaction driven

Promotions/Growth - I have seen so many people get promoted to a new position or a management level position, it's great to see that it happens often.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure on your sales. It's VERY nerve racking to not have great numbers & have management monitor your numbers on a weekly basis. Not sure how it is at every department, but in the beauty department they have a 3 strike rule if your numbers are consistently low........

You never have your weekends, it's hard to have a whole weekend off not unless you request off in advance...... If you are newer it's harder for you to request a day or 2 on the weekend..

Although the beauty events are truly fun, if you do not make your numbers the managers may have a 1 on 1 with you & write you up.... Even if you tried your hardest or if you are newer to the company you still get written up.

The CATI-NESS is a pain in the neck.... It's expected working with 50-90 other women in 1 department & happens on a daily basis. I did meet a lot of great people in this department but there are a good handful of awful women here. It's quite sad to see older women back-stab, connive, steal your sale & lie to your face. The fragrance department is the worse with the sharks.

Have more team building activities with your employees, get to know them personally.

Retail

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working on people skills, you get to meet and learn about so many different type of people. Your employees really effects on how your day will be. Discount, and just an overall great environment to work in

Cons

Return policy, it's the worst. For employees that is, the customer doesn't have to have a tag receipt or anything in order for them to return. It's usually worn or damaged when they return it, so we still get hit with the return.

Change return policy to hit employees within 6 months maybe.

If retail is your game this is the place to work

Former Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since the shopping experience today is a 24 hour possibility, something has to set you apart from the rest. Customer Service and relationships are key. Nordstrom is king in this area.

Cons

The personal shoppers tend to do well and have a different set of rules which sometimes conflicts with the sales associates rules on the floor. Since all associates are required to reach goals the difference in the rules tends to create some hostility.

Treat everyone equally. Rules equally across the board.

If you find the right department, Nordstrom is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Skokie, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a lot of fun working in Salon Shoes. Great sales people and supportive management.

Cons

If you aren't a good fit for your department, working at Nordstrom can be miserable. I didn't like my first department but moved at the first opportunity.

Be open to moving staff to different departments.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Demanding hours and hard to meet commission during certain months