Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV

Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • Great pay, solid support, unlimited ability to progress your career if you work hard(in 7 reviews)

• pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cons: Personal Growth, Training, Work-Life Balance(in 5 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7(in 8 reviews)

Transportation Intern Review

Transportation Intern (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsGreat Benefits. Great, friendly people for the most part. A lot of company officers are retiring which gives plenty of room for upward mobility.

ConsThe hours are extremely demanding. There is a definite "us vs them" mentality between company officers and the Unionized employees. Many employees, even if they're friendly, carry a large slice of negativity which can be contagious.

Great company for young professionals. Plenty of upward mobility for young managers.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsCompany is making large efforts to improve company culture. Competitive salaries and benefits. It's easy to gain industry knowledge and relationships that can be leveraged outside of the company.

ConsNS is a 24/7 operation. Several jobs are subject to shift work, no holiday's off, being on call, etc.

Trainmaster

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Work inside and out.

ConsLong hours. Work nights and weekends and holidays. Quality of life sucks. Anything and everything is your fault.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its all about who likes you!!

Manager (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsNorfolk Southern is a great organization. I gained invaluable experience and knowledge about the freight rail industry, and had an AWESOME supervisor.

ConsExpect to be under paid by about $20K compare to other railroads for the same job. There is absolutely NO opportunity for growth and advancement at Norfolk Southern. Only lateral moves with minimal pay raise. Many in the HR Department are unqualified. and try to "wing it". I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity that Norfolk Southern me, but I have no regrets in leaving. The experience helped me land my DREAM JOB.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote employees based on their merits and hard work.

Good pay - backwards culture in regard to strategy and operations

Operations and Support Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsRoom for growth due to retirements and aging management workforce. Great benefits. Require a lot of time in operations jobs (trains run 24/7)

ConsSome very antiquated systems and processes making it difficult to stay motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on trying to fix the misalignment of top management and company strategy. Bureaucracy makes change impossible.

Great company with terrible upper management

Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsPay, benefits and retirement plan are second to none.

ConsWork life balance is horrendous. You will never work a 40 hour work week. First starting out you may not even be fully trained to perform you job correctly. You will also have terrible off days and you will more than likely work 3rd shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging is not needed in this environment. Favoritism and bias have got to stop. Promote those deserving of the position not just someone you like. Be fair across the board with how you handle similar situations.

Was able to provide funds to take care of me and my family.

Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsMeeting and working with people who were team players, and gaining a life long friendship with them. #NScoworkersarefriendsforlife

ConsLittle or no training in the department, and never given a test, with scores to determine which skills employees are lacking. They will disqualify without notice, and tell you less than 1 hour that you are scheduled to work another shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen discipline your employees for errors; explain the way to prevent them or how to correct them, instead of wanting to fire someone. Remember the non-agreement employees have the chance to learn the agreement employees job, but the agreement employees are not given the chance to learn the job of the non-agreement, and how it relates to their job.

Norfolk Southern

Co-Op (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat company to work for! They take care of you.

ConsUpper Management is a little stand offish

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with the employees more!

Operations Research intern- Software development

Operation Research Interm (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGot a very good experience Working at Norfolk. Training is not exclusively provided. But, I was given materials to prepare. Friendly co- workers.

ConsInitial system setup process will be very late.They will not convert your employment to full time until you are a green card holder.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Nothing impressive but a good salary.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsVery good Benefits package that includes pension (one that you may not live to enjoy), sustainability, flexibility (depends on the department), good management trainee program, and

Consnepotism, nepotism, nepotism. Impossibly rude and disgustingly ill mannered managers are rewarded rather than disciplined. Manage through fear. NO work/life balance for most.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow do you continuously develop great talents and allow them to slip through your fingers? Other organizations are enjoying the fruits of your labor. DO SOMETHING!

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!