Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV

Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• Great pay, solid support, unlimited ability to progress your career if you work hard (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 6 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7 (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Associate Technology Analyst

Associate Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsVery Stable Company. Definitely room for growth. The salary is a little low compared to other companies, but has a great benefits package. This is a great company for a young entry level employee that will stay with one company.

ConsNot a good company for older employees, because you need to put in 30 years to get a good retirement package.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to institute proper documentation, requirements gathering.

Transportation Intern Review

Transportation Intern (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsGreat Benefits. Great, friendly people for the most part. A lot of company officers are retiring which gives plenty of room for upward mobility.

ConsThe hours are extremely demanding. There is a definite "us vs them" mentality between company officers and the Unionized employees. Many employees, even if they're friendly, carry a large slice of negativity which can be contagious.

OK summer job, Good pay, don't come here if you want real experience

Mechanical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, consistent schedule, good company to work for

ConsBoring, dull, monotonous, mundane tasks. Did I mention how boring it is?

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your interns/co-ops some REAL work to do. It's a huge waste of resources to have engineering students doing your spreadsheets and getting your mail, and it ruins employee morale. Experiential learning is for the student to learn and contribute to the company's success, not to be your secretary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trainmaster

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Work inside and out.

ConsLong hours. Work nights and weekends and holidays. Quality of life sucks. Anything and everything is your fault.

Decent company, but depends on your position

C&S (Current Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

ProsThey generally treat their employees well, and have great retirement benefits. They train you and have opportunities to move up in the company.

ConsThey make you travel a ton, or at least can make you travel a lot. Plus the supervisors are on call 24/7 except for every other weekend. They make you work a ton and have a lot of BS to go through. Poor work-life balance. It seems like the longer employees are on the railroad, the unhappier they are.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Most people know what they're doing so you don't need to breath down their necks and check up on their work constantly.

Use to be great but getting worse by the year.

One Thats Rumored to BE Contracted Out (Current Employee) Elkhart, IN (US)

ProsDescent benefits until healthcare started going south. Decent pay until taxes went thru the roof.

ConsDeductibles on any hospital visits are way high. Of course someone has to pay for everyone thats getting free healthcare now. Norfolk Southern loves there contractors and would love to get rid of all there employees and just contract all the work out so as a worker you never really know how long your going to have a job. Morale is usually very low among employees because of the constant worries of contractors coming in also.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to contract everyones jobs out and take care of the employees you have already. Workers that have been out there for 15 -40 years working injury free and helping you be the safest railroad in the country and then you just want to stick it to them and bring in a contractor to do there job.

Nepotism Southern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsFascinating industry; good retirement benefits; credible efforts to ensure employees understand the business, regardless of their function.

ConsIt's all about whom you know. Thoroughly unqualified people in leadership roles -- not only do they lack functional expertise, but they get away with behaving in ways that run completely counter to the values that NS supposedly holds dear. (HR is probably the worst offender in this space, believe it or not.) Abrasiveness, finger-pointing, lack of perspective regarding work-life balance and how anyone could possibly want to spend time with their families are the norm. If you're a CYA expert with friends in the right places, this is the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't use HR as a dumping ground for members of the good ol' boys club who are looking for a place to land. Try to remember that screaming, naked hostility and lack of work-life balance rarely bring out the best in people.

Its all about who likes you!!

Manager (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsNorfolk Southern is a great organization. I gained invaluable experience and knowledge about the freight rail industry, and had an AWESOME supervisor.

ConsExpect to be under paid by about $20K compare to other railroads for the same job. There is absolutely NO opportunity for growth and advancement at Norfolk Southern. Only lateral moves with minimal pay raise. Many in the HR Department are unqualified. and try to "wing it". I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity that Norfolk Southern me, but I have no regrets in leaving. The experience helped me land my DREAM JOB.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote employees based on their merits and hard work.

Good pay - backwards culture in regard to strategy and operations

Operations and Support Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsRoom for growth due to retirements and aging management workforce. Great benefits. Require a lot of time in operations jobs (trains run 24/7)

ConsSome very antiquated systems and processes making it difficult to stay motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on trying to fix the misalignment of top management and company strategy. Bureaucracy makes change impossible.

Great company with terrible upper management

Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsPay, benefits and retirement plan are second to none.

ConsWork life balance is horrendous. You will never work a 40 hour work week. First starting out you may not even be fully trained to perform you job correctly. You will also have terrible off days and you will more than likely work 3rd shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging is not needed in this environment. Favoritism and bias have got to stop. Promote those deserving of the position not just someone you like. Be fair across the board with how you handle similar situations.

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!