Norfolk Southern

Updated 27 January 2015
3.4

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

• Plus the supervisors are on call 24/7 except for every other weekend (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations Research intern- Software development

Former Employee - Operation Research Interm in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Operation Research Interm in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Got a very good experience Working at Norfolk. Training is not exclusively provided. But, I was given materials to prepare. Friendly co- workers.

Cons

Initial system setup process will be very late.They will not convert your employment to full time until you are a green card holder.

No advice

Was able to provide funds to take care of me and my family.

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Meeting and working with people who were team players, and gaining a life long friendship with them. #NScoworkersarefriendsforlife

Cons

Little or no training in the department, and never given a test, with scores to determine which skills employees are lacking. They will disqualify without notice, and tell you less than 1 hour that you are scheduled to work another shift.

When discipline your employees for errors; explain the way to prevent them or how to correct them, instead of wanting to fire someone. Remember the non-agreement employees have the chance to learn the agreement employees job, but the agreement employees are not given the chance to learn the job of the non-agreement, and how it relates to their job.

Nothing impressive but a good salary.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good Benefits package that includes pension (one that you may not live to enjoy), sustainability, flexibility (depends on the department), good management trainee program, and

Cons

nepotism, nepotism, nepotism. Impossibly rude and disgustingly ill mannered managers are rewarded rather than disciplined. Manage through fear. NO work/life balance for most.

How do you continuously develop great talents and allow them to slip through your fingers? Other organizations are enjoying the fruits of your labor. DO SOMETHING!

Good place to learn at-great people

Former Employee - DW/BiCo-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - DW/BiCo-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people are super there. While there are the occasional 'pains, most of the employees are wonderful. A great place to work from the benefit standpoint too, if you are an employee. Work there and retire happy.

Cons

Management style is stiff. Hard to get things done from start to finish as different groups will handle parts of a project so you never see the whole thing done

Transportation Management

Former Employee - Transportation Management Trainee in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Transportation Management Trainee in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros: Opportunities for Advancement, Flexibility

Cons

Cons: Personal Growth, Training, Work-Life Balance

Allow trainees opportunity to grow, avoid restrictions, and stress to upper management about disadvantages of micro managing.

I enjoyed working for Norfolk Southern.

Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, money, and benefits.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments.

Communicate with other departments better.

It's very nice environment in midtown Atalanta, and kind co-wokers

Former Employee - Co-op Software in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Co-op Software in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

NS is a huge company, so the manager won't push you to much to overwhelm work. Salary is just the normal money.

Cons

You need to follow the whole project and have some creative ideas to solve real problems

add more on salary, lol

Demoralizing

I worked at Norfolk Southern

Pros

The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary.

Cons

If you are a family oriented person then stay away from NS. They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7. You are always on call and heaven forbid you do not answer your phone in the middle of the night.

For those of you who are military be it reserves or coming off active duty, the railroad is nothing like the your branch of service. NS says that they are military friendly when they are not. I was told by my asst superintendent that I could not go to my regular drill weekend because I had to work, his operations took priority. After a major phone call, I was able to attend drill that weekend.

Your A.D.I. process doesn't work because no one buys into it.

Before you turn a trainmaster loose make sure he or she knows how things work, his territory, and understands that people are going to work but if you hover over them they are going to slow down.

When finding a replacement for a superintendent or what ever the case may be, look at the persons track history. Not just his rule violation history but, what his previous and current employess have to say about him or her. The good old boy system plays a hughe role in NS.

I will never ever recommend this company!

Information Technology department management was excellent, good starting employer.

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Norfolk Southern has an excellent starting salary for Information Technology professionals that are new to the workforce. Management understands the direction of the company and the needs of its employees.

Cons

The career path at Norfolk Southern is very linear. The raises do not match industry standards, especially for technology specialists.

Keep up the good work. Pay specialists more, it will keep them at Norfolk Southern.

pay is the only thing that keeps employees there

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone.

Cons

In the train and engine department, we employees are treated with no respect, threatened and intimidated. The new atmosphere the company brags about is worse then ever. Sexual harassment is constant, and the company blames the victim. when traveling I am away from home 60 to 100 hours a week, and am disaplined if I mark off because im too tired to safely run a train. If you complain you are labeled a trouble maker and the company does everything to fire you

The company needs a real eeo program that all managers and union officals have to follow.t he company needs to honor their agreements and quit harassing employees. Im sure some departments are treated well but not transportation. When a trainmaster says he needs a crew to have a fatality so he can investigate it and move up in the company, the company has problems. Quit blaming victims and have real investigations into sexual assaults in the work place.

Norfolk Southern Photos