North Star Resource Group

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
3.7

Phillip C. Richards

Awesome summer experience! Would definitely recommend to anyone

Current Employee - Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great, young environment filled with people interested in your success. I didn't feel like an intern, as everyone was very welcoming/friendly and it felt like I had been there for years. The team I was placed on became some of my best friends, and it made the work much more enjoyable. The training program was excellent, and I learned a lot throughout the summer.

Cons

The work can be stressful/frustrating at times, and it definitely takes a certain mindset to do the job.

Keep up the program! Although it wasn't for everyone, I, along with many others, had a fantastic experience with the program.

North Star has a great culture of success and support

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, upward mobility/income potential

Cons

difficult to start your practice from nothing, compensation schedule is very confusing

increase the stipend for new advisors and give slightly better benefits, change the compensation method to make it easier to see how you are getting paid and from where

My experience at North Star was very educational, I felt like I was taking a summer class and getting paid for it.

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

Learning opportunities, team aspect of the office, the people we were working with, mentor program, open doors of Tony, Ed, Candice.

Cons

Sometimes only making cold calls was a bummer, I wish my mentor would have had a few more things for me to be working on.

Talk to mentors a little more about what you want from them. Otherwise it was a great experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company culture, educational internship, useful insight into the career, terrific co-workers, learned a lot

Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator

Pros

This company and the employees actually practice what they preach. They are truly ethical, honest, hardworking, and fun! The mentor program is great because the mentors have a lot to offer to intners and are willing to share their time and knowledge with the interns. My mentor always checked with us, made the internship a great experience, and NEVER looked down upon us.
    This internship is paid so its a great way to earn some money!
    We also had intern appreciation days each month of the internship; these were so much fun! The interns were treated to TopGolf, a grand meal at Uchiko, and a festive weekend trip to Galveston all paid for by the mentors. I never felt out of place during my internship here. All in all, a GREAT company culture, a very educational internship (learning about the career and also about myself), and a fun environment.

Cons

The interns are expected to prospect for clients which can sometimes be dry; it is a big barrier to entry in the career. Another con was that we did not get paid for attending client dinners which were mandatory.
    There was not a platform for the most successful interns to share how they are succeeding in the internship with the ones who were struggling.

Create a platform for interns to share what works for them and what does not so that the successful ones can help the ones who are not as successful.
    Be clear about the pay when hiring interns.
    Keep being ethical and creating such a great company culture!

A Company dedicated to building a strong culture and providing exceptional client service.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Quality work &commitment do not go unnoticed. As with any career, you should be required to demonstrate your value &North Star recognizes that.

Cons

We're in a client-centered business, which has both challenges & rewards.

Keep setting a great example and high standards for your team members to help them realize their full potential.

Great job with great people

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Great place to work, learn, and lay down the foundation for a successful and rewarding career path! Wonderful and helpful people that truly want to help you succeed in all that you do and want you to accomplish all of your goals.

Cons

It is crucial that you are always working hard. A lot is expected out of you and you will work hard to get where you want to be.

No Structure, No Support, No Success

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Managers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

Cons

Complete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

When failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.

Hard work, great culture, long term rewards

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and co-workers.
    Independence of owning your own business, flexible schedule.
    Freedom to build your practice however you envision it.

Cons

Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice.
    Very unstable compensation for the first few years
    If you need someone to watch over you and tell you what to do then this career is not for you.

Pay your staff more - we've got great administrative support but they aren't compensated as well as they should be.

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

Pros

The last day of the job. Learning that I don't want to work for them. Learning that not all companies are created equal.

Cons

Mislead during interview process, paid under minimum wage, flawed mentor / rewards system. Only paid 6.25 per hour. No appreciation was shown during the internship. It was a terrible experience. I would never recommend this place to a friend. If you are a halfway decent candidate take your skills else where to a company that will appreciate you and reward you for your skills. You literally cannot afford to pay rent the first 6 months after starting with North star.

Treat your lower level employees better. They are you're bread and butter. Every intern should get a meal at the dinners if you are expecting them to attend. It's the little things that will help you recruit good talent and right now you are failing miserably.

A very rewarding career after a lot of hard work

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have the opportunity to run your own business and have true job security
    Flexible work environment and schedule
    Incredible upside income potential which is limited only by your own motiviation
    Great culture and very supportive management

Cons

It's very difficult to get started and it can take years to build a successful practice.
    Very long hours and low pay during the first few years (up to 3 years)
    You constantly face rejection and skepticism as not everyone appreciates the work that you do.
    You can't just try this career on for size. It's just too tough and you will fail. It requires a great deal of persistence and vision to succeed in this business.

North Star Resource Group Photos

Worked for North Star Resource Group? Contribute to the Community!