Northwest Airlines

Be The First To
Add Photos

Northwest Airlines President and CEO Ed Bastian

Ed Bastian

Pros
  • Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits(in 14 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hard to advance quickly(in 4 reviews)

• All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing(in 4 reviews)

Great work culture, Open-door policy, Easy to approach Senior Management

Finance Specialist (Former Employee) Eagan, MN (US)

ProsGreat work culture, Good work-life balance, Open-door policy, Easy to approach Senior Management, Great perks- travel benefits

ConsSalary is low compared to other industries, but that's because airline jobs come with additional perks

Outstanding company to work for.

Airline Pilot (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsGood pay, good hours, and the checks always cashed until the bankruptcy; however the management decided to save the pensions.

ConsDifficult management style, abrasive memorandum which was not needed or necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like customers.

Never a dull moment

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsI love all the people I worked with; they are a stellar group of individuals. The work was interesting with a variety of options to choose from, there is a job to fit any personality type, and the flexible shifts were a blessing. If I hadn't been injured I would still be there.

ConsThe union; joining the union was a requirement I would rather have avoided. I've worked for both union and non-union companies and in my experience it is my opinion that they are a waste of my monthly dues. I would rather have saved that money and not had the union. They have outlived their usefulness and it's time for them to go the way of the dodo. If they were worth the thousands of dollars I paid them over the years I would still be working at Delta airlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the union to get rid of the dead weight, unproductive and disruptive employees, the ones who show up, punch-in and out but then disappear and/or don't actually do anything except collect a paycheck. That would allow you to retain and hire positive, functional/working employees who want to work, which in turn would boost morale, increase productivity and ultimately revenue.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, not a lot of opportunities

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN (US)

ProsGood people, good training, decent offices

ConsLow pay, hard to advance quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're merged now

Fun

Customer Service/Reservation Sales (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

Proseasily transfer to different work locations, great travel benefits

Conslow pay and benefits management has no backbone

The airline industry is not what it used to be.

Ramp Agent (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsTravel, sometimes a fun job, nice in summer to work outside, good people

ConsWeather in the winter, no career advancement opportunities, horrible management, no longer a "career", it's now just "a job".

Never a dull moment.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsChallenging at times but always interesting dealing with the public when they are traveling. Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits.

ConsCan be hectic with weather delays and maintenance delays. Working major holidays,nights,and weekends. Some shifts can include odd hours, afternoon shifts and or midnight shifts.

Great place to work

RSA and CSA (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsEveryone works together, excellent training program and follow-up through probation. Knowledgeable and fair management staff.

ConsReservations sales agents have metrics to adhere to. Inbound sales skills required to meet and exceed sales goals.

Great Place to work where your opinion mattered

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of challenge and variety in the work, always something new to work on, given opportunity to refine and improve at every juncture.

Conslittle economic security, broken promises, us vs them mentality that finally dissipated towords the end

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for a new job

Great place to work.

ProsGreat benefits and a lot of wonderful people to work with

ConsMerged with Delta and most jobs moved out of state.

Advice to Senior Managementshould not have merged with Delta.

Worked for Northwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!