Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.6 1,252 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential (in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,252 Employee Reviews

"Great, supportive company for those interested in building their own financial/insurance practice"

Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsIf you are interested in building a business in the insurance field, this is an amazing company. You get total flexibility and have lots of support from your local and national offices. There are weekly coaching classes, lots of educational opportunities and the Carolina Condrey Group has an amazing office with lots of supportive reps there willing to take time to coach.

ConsYou need to be seriously committed to put in some hard work or all the perks won't be there for you. It's a very sales driven environment, if you're not willing to cold call, this is not the place for you. While they place cold-calling at the bottom of your list, they encourage much more efficient sales tactics initially, it's still something to consider.

Amazing company to work for

Financial Representative Assistant (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsKnowledge that you learn. The training is great and very helpful. The home office provides the best service, if you are stuck on anything they can help

ConsI cant think of anything that i would consider a con. if you are an assistant, the pay is kind of low.

Advice to Senior Managementyou will grow no matter what. talk to reps who have been here a long time and get ask for great advice.

Great Comapny

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL (US)

ProsGreat training, advanced support, and great products

ConsIf you dont want to be a business owner then this isnt the company for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Financial Representative

Associate Financial Representative (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsGreat culture and work life balance

ConsNot alot of growth opportunity

Northwestern Mutual committed to their clients

Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL (US)

ProsCompany values are excellent and always try to do what is best for the client.

ConsIf a field employee, perks are up to the rep, none for the most part, just a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your Reps to manage their employees not just selling the product.

Great Company

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat management, support & pay. Flexible hours and a very fast paced upbeat enviorment

ConsNo cons really, you have to work hard! Thats about it

Best culture there is

ProsIntegrity, sales philosophy, and mutuality

ConsCommissioned career is hard for a lot of people

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job and investing in new tech

Financial Representative Intern

Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsReal World Sales Experience. It is pretty structured so you know what you are getting yourself into. Part learning product part cold calling.

ConsPersonally, I got thrown in a room and was told to dial. I don't know if that is the usual but many people are adverse to it. It is 100% a sales job do not be fooled by fancy graphs and sophisticated products.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary for people who are just starting out.

Great company, Great Experience, Uncomfortable Approach

Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe company environment is absolutely awesome. The whole office is friendly and approachable. You work closely with a mentor that basically shows you the ropes of the business. Even as an intern, you get treated like you're a full time employee already a part of the company.

ConsIn terms of work progress, it is either a hit or miss. If you have many connections you dont mind asking to meet with to talk about their finances/goals, then the job may be for you. If you have a hard time approaching your connections to talk about such a matter, it may be difficult to make sales.

Collaborative Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsGreat people, everyone is very helpful. You can call up a perfect stranger and they will help. Excellent benefits. People in the home office still have a pension which is almost unheard of. Very good work life balance.

ConsConsensus driven organization. Until everyone agrees you don't move forward. Also very old school in use of technology. Meetings are still held face to face and working from home happens rarely depending on the department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should do what it takes to keep good workers.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!