Notre Dame de Namur

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Dr. Judith Greig

A small school with a wonderful mission, but disorganized management

ProsA focus on teaching, passion for community service and engagement, the ability to work closely with students, a beautiful campus, generally very nice people to work with.

Innovative approach to program development (NDNU will have the first PhD program in Art Therapy in the country!)

A mission to ensure educational access to all students (NDNU was the the first women's college in California and the first in the state authorized to grant the baccalaureate degree to women!)

There is good support for professional development (access to materials and resources, conference attendance) - this may vary by department and employee role.

ConsFor candidates: we do not advertise salary ranges like many other schools, we do not offer relocation, we generally do not provide travel/housing for in-person interviews.

Benefits: insurance for partners/spouses/dependents is expensive (very little to no subsidy from employer); a pay-as-you-go philosophy (meaning there are no cost-of-living increases, or "bonuses" in the traditional sense. If we do well, financially, in any given year, there could be salary increases or retirement contributions the following year. There's nothing wrong with this philosophy, but it may be different than other employers.

There is an inadequate focus on performance evaluation and so some employees are never taught how to do their jobs better.

Lack of good communication between decision-makers and everyone else.

Human Resources department is inconsistent and has primary concern for the university, not the employees.

There are a good number of employees who have been here a long time and/or are disgruntled, which sometimes makes the working environment negative.

As a small school, many of our offices are understaffed, leading to people feeling under-appreciated and over-worked.

Spiritual, committed, fulfilling, I loved working here and blessed to have been around such wonderful people.

Grounds Manager (Former Employee) Belmont, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits, lots of positive reinforcement, and surrounded by people who appreciate higher education, and nature.

ConsWith all educational institutions, is lack of funds, you have to work here for the passion of what it is your seeking.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you all are committed to do the best with what is available. I will remember you all forever especially the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Beware; not everyone is on the side of the angels here

Access Services Manager (Former Employee) Belmont, CA (US)

ProsGood overall atmosphere, beautiful, historic setting, mid-peninsula location, close to CalTrain. Spiritual atmosphere without being overwhelming. Provides a stepping stone for an academic career. If you are reading this review on Glassdoor.com, you probably won't be at NDNU for too long. I guess another pro is that the turnover here is so high that they are frequent job openings!

ConsPoor benefits. Employees frequently complained they could not afford to put their families on the insurance the university offered. The department I worked in - the library - suffered an outrageous amount of turnover because of the library director.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the exit statements in the HR office for managers in departments with high turnover.
    P.S.- Five people in a six-person department is ordinarily considered a high turnover rate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Under appreciated employees

Admissions (Current Employee) Belmont, CA (US)

ProsGreat faculty, sincere students who stuck because most courses wont transfer out

Consmanagement is ungrateful, sloppy dress code, unprofessional HR

Advice to Senior Managementneed more driven employees

Worked for Notre Dame de Namur? Contribute to the Community!