Novartis
www.novartis.com Basel, Switzerland 5000+ Employees

Novartis Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Novartis CEO Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Pros:
  • "work/Life balance can be well maintained"
    in 10 reviews
  • "good pay and benefits, good environment"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "There are different cultural norms for work/life balance depending on site & business unit"
    in 10 reviews
  • "People loosing focus on business due to senior management style"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ancient Systems with no Usability Considerations

Technical Writer (Current Employee)
Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Novartis as a contractor for less than a year

Pros> Work on projects with a global impact
> If you are looking for a very corporate old-fashioned company that doesn't like change, and doesn't snow any interest in modern technology, then you might be happy here.

Cons> Internal documentation an absolute usability horror.
> No interest in modernizing systems in the name of 'security' without even understanding what modern security looks like.

Advice to Senior ManagementUsability testing - everyone should read two books: "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug and "From Good to Great" by James Collins. If you would re-organize the intranet, get rid of the fat and modernize the way that documentation is handled, you would become 5,000% more efficient.

Good people, future in doubt

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than 5 years

Prospay, benefits, people, environment, safety

Consred tape, low product base, systems

Need to be more aware of the workers.

Operator (Former Employee)
Nyon (Switzerland)

I worked at Novartis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you start off here , you will enjoy the challenges that are set out for you, BUt be careful that you only do what you are fully capable to do.

ConsAs said above , the longer you work here the more you are taken for a "slave" to there system of work,work, work and why not work.Then when you point this out at your annual meeting they will completely discredit your efforts as not enough and should make more effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management need to wake up and realise that it's thanks to the efforts of the workers that they still have a well paid job in Nyon, while the workers are still feeling the money , lack of in our pockets. Also thank you wouldn't hurt every so often !!

Prepare for challenges and rewards to match

Senior Insights Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood growth opportunities for strong performers. On the job learning is encouraged and valued. Benefit of thousands of collective years of experience of colleagues to learn from in a matrix structure.

ConsExpectations are very high and workload would not leave you with a lot of time to really think through things. Prepare for frequent organizational and leadership changes. If you don't manage change very well, this is probably not the place for you.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Novartis

ProsSolid benefits packages, awards etc., phase II/III pipeline products

Consinability of Senior Leadership to properly forecast inorganic growth and new product approvals, which has led to the displacement of close to 3000 representatives across several divisions over the past 4/5 years.

Contractor - Learning Management Systems Administrator

Learning Management Systems Associate (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Novartis as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere are ton's of interesting events going on all of the time. Each month they hold a big Fiesta for the employees with more food than you can imagine. Also they have discussion forums and open events for employees to learn more about the science Novartis is working on.

ConsIt is a big company, you can get lost in the shuffle. I have been a contractor for over a year and a half.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really.

political company

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than 10 years

Prosmoney, but very little else unfortunately as the right culture and people are moving to better companies recently, due to the highly unprofessional leadership in certain functions at the top

Consall else, right culture and people are moving to better companies recently, due to the highly unprofessional leadership in certain functions at the top

Advice to Senior Managementincrease transparency

Uncertain future for site.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Lincoln, NE (US)

I worked at Novartis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUsed to be a great place to work. Better managers are no longer with the site. But then neither are most of the terrible ones that triggered the decline. Jury is still out on the new recruits.

ConsSite is not viable long term. High overhead, drastically reduced product portfolio. Reduced volumes. For a site of this size, no volume = no long term future. Anyone good still left is likely hanging on to false hope that the site will survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is beyond advice.

Great working culture & interesting work

SharePoint Project Consultant (Current Employee)
Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Novartis as a contractor for more than 3 years

Prosforward thinking, new technologies, innovative, interesting work, great science, freedom to work on things. They always are trying to do more for science, which is great and if you want to learn more about that science there are many opportunities for you to do so, even as someone in IT. Good mix of people, and everyone wants to help.

Constrying to consolidate all the technologies in to coherent deliverables. As a company that has grown and taken things, people and technologies with it, it is in the process of trying to consolidate those and make it more coherent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structure

Very good company to grow your career

Director (Current Employee)
East Hanover, NJ (US)

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat purpose to care and cure patients, high corporate code of conduct and social responsibility, smart and talented people, friendly and open culture

ConsStill fragmented Divisions limit the benefits of leveraging one another, global yet does not centralize which leads to complexity and very difficult to move talent across Divisions

Worked for Novartis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novartis reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Novartis CEO Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.. All 202 reviews are posted anonymously by Novartis employees.