Novartis Reviews

Updated 7 September 2014
Updated 7 September 2014
3.4

Novartis CEO Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.
Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Pros
  • Work life balance can be achieved if you prioritize it (in 14 reviews)

• Great products, challenging environment, good pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are different cultural norms for work/life balance depending on site & business unit (in 11 reviews)

• People loosing focus on business due to senior management style (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a bad experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity for flex time arrangements, nice offices, gym and good HR initiatives

Cons

Nepotism / Only Manager or Director´s friends or even boyfriends/girlfriends have better opportunities. If you don´t have a friend in the management you have no opportunities to grow and you would be vulnerable because they are constantly downsizing without a real analysis to do so...Worst department to work here: Finance.
    A lot of people are hired as external (Outsourcing) in order to compensate layoffs, you will find trainees in charge of certain processes as well.
    They like to have a good image but they are not actually working on that, for instance all the surveys to Great Place to work institute were made a little time before a lot of layoffs and cost cuttings initiatives.

I would say that the HQ team have to be more involved in the countries environment, culture... in Mexico it seems that the only thing that is from Switzerland are the signs, all in the company seems to be like a Mexican company with all the cons that this thing implies, Managers do what they want even against policies and guidelines.

Good Company,but the HR department needs a significant improvement

Former Employee - Process Unit  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Process Unit in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Novartis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Organised and allow employees to maximize their full potential by rotating them to the different departments

Cons

Although the company is good to its employees, the interns there are treated much differently.
    We are given very limited rights and often get accused for no valid reasons. For example, even taking a short tea break in the canteen can lead to a huge email blast to all supervisors in the company that the interns are skiving and do not have work to do.

Good training ground to develop political skill

Former Employee - Finance  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Finance in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Novartis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a top pharma co, that pays well with good staff benefit.
    Lots of talented people, which makes the intellectual challenge simulating.

Cons

An army of people is created at the wrong level, who does not add value but only burden the people (who are really working) with unnecessary demands. Energy gets wasted just to align any decision with group vs division vs region, and thus most apt for people who talk their way thru work. Corporate structure is hard and empowerment is only in theory.

Staff appraisal is only top down, leaving employees no venue to give any upward feedback. Managers should get the job only if they can manage people, and not drive them away.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company... once you're in

I have been working at Novartis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, even as an intern.
    Great work life balance.
    As an employee I feel the company and my managers invest in my professional developement.
    Campus provides the perfect working environment

Cons

Uncertain environment after big M&A deal, fear of layoffs

Invest in a development program for young professionals to nurture internal young talent.
    As an intern concluding my internship I find it very tough to find a suitable position to remain with the company.

Huge and ever changing company

Current Employee - Process Manager  in  Pratteln (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Process Manager in Pratteln (Switzerland)

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commitment of every worker at all levels.
    Possibilities of development are huge.

Cons

Huge company means priorities are hard to identify.
    Have a network is mandatory, relationships is the most important thing.

Improve change management. There is a Change management champion now, I hope she will bring results in this ever changing company.
    Change is good and at the same time hard to implement.

idea place to work

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Novartis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

many opportunities to access the latest knowledge and technology in this field. Friendly people

Cons

sometime heavy working load, a little bit pushing

OK

Current Employee - Senior Scientist  in  Basel (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Novartis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skilled people; some resources; free coffee

Cons

Not organized; high stress; insecurity; anxiety

Good Company to experience challenging job

I worked at Novartis

Pros

Salary, Challenging Work, Business Trip

Cons

Unconvinient location, Huge overtime work

Vaccines division culture has declined over last few years

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Novartis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- good remuneration packages and benefits
    - lots of new initiatives to work on and plenty of projects however there is a downside to this
    - never gets boring however there is a downside to this

Cons

- The culture in the vaccines division is to overload / stretch employees forcing them to work extra hours/ from home/ weekends. If you resist this and try and keep a healthy balance it will show in your performance review as you'll never achieve more than an average rating. Employees who don't deliver get put onto a performance improvement plan and then if your performance doesn't improve to the level expected you're out. I have seen this route misused by managers and some good people have gone just because their bosses didn't like them.
    - Most events and initiatives are treated like a life threatening emergency because many of people who lead the division are fire fighter types who need the adrenalin rush and this gets cascaded downwards and impacts the stress levels of those of us who don't need panic and adrenalin to make us productive.
    - Work obsessed people who lack empathy and finesse tend to get the promotions these days as they bully their way to success at the expense of others. Results count more than how you get them at the end of the day and there are some hated people in some of the top jobs.
    - It comes down to luck if you get a good manager or not and if you have the bullying type you'd better make sure you play the game their way. If you get one of the few empathic and caring managers (and there are a few still about) Novartis can be a supportive and enjoyable place to work but these circumstances are becoming less frequent.
    - The vaccine division lacks real confidence and there is a culture of too many initiatives being implemented at once intended to help lead the company to world class status but this never seems to be achieved. Some of these initiatives are really good and have had a positive effect on the business however there are always too many of them and they tend to fall on the shoulders of the same people to deliver / take part in leading to the over work / extra hours situation mentioned in the first point.

It will be interesting to see what impact the GSK acquisition has on the business and what happens to the flu business when a buyer is found. I'm not sure if any of the vaccines senior management team would take much from this review due to the cons listed above.

have seen better days

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Quito (Ecuador)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Quito (Ecuador)

I worked at Novartis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great coworkers, access to the latest products and technology, good lunch service, new office is nice, international travel opportunities

Cons

politics are too strong, "high level" friendships will make you grow more than your own work, managers just care about their jobs and bonus don´t care about people in the team, HR is weak, branch depends on headquarters for most of the decisions

hire better people for managerial roles

Worked for Novartis? Contribute to the Community!