Novell Reviews

324 reviews filtered by
3.1
Novell President and General Manager Kathleen Owens
Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Work life balance (though now it is changing at faster pace) (in 62 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the businesses are in the legacy space, little happening on developing new products (in 7 reviews)

1. Overall Good experience

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Bangalore

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Career opportunities
    - Good Hikes
    - Nice culture & work life balance.

Cons

- Old legacy products
    - Limited Product development.

Advice to Management

No advice

2. Never Join this company. There is no respect for your Professional skills here. They will kick you out !!

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Bangalore

I worked at Novell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Novell India has a good brand value outside. I was very excited to join this company.Whoever i talked to had the same opinion about the company. I went into the company thinking that this would be the my last company or i would settle down here.

Cons

All things went for a toss after joining the company.

There is nothing called work culture or work life balance. It is a Service company disguised as a Product company. The Manager would interfere in task estimations every sprint.He would struck down our estimates and come up with his own estimates.And hold team members accountable for not delivering the tasks on time.Initially i went along with his estimates as i was new to the tasks.Then when i started standing my ground, he completely turned around calling me incompetent.

The KT that i recieved from a junior was a Farce. There are no documents for anything and u r not allowed to go and have an open discussion with people who know things. And people who are in the company for a long time are very closed and have a 'I know evrything attitude".

At the end of 4 months of joining , the Manager started blackmailing that he would withhold my confirmation as he was not satisfied with my performance as a Team Lead.He was ok with my technical performance, but wanted me to take the lead of a big Team of just 1 member.I took the criticism constructively and told him that i would be in a position to put my view points across only when i have a pretty good understanding of the product and i was not the one who would express comments jsut for the sake of it.

He would then come up at the end of evry Friday and ask the team to work over the weekend and finish up the task for the sprint.This continued almost evry sprint. This put my work life balance for a toss with even my family complaining that i was not giving sufficient time for them.

The final blow came when the Manager handed me over a letter saying that my probationary period would be extended and my services might be terminated if the company was not satisfied with my performance. This despite so much of honest hard work put in understanding and completing the tasks. I dont say that i am an expert on some skill, but i am not that dumb either that you could hand me over this letter saying that company does not need you.

Then i decided that enough is enough and my skills and experience has been insulted and disrespected here. This is when i decided to move out of the company. I will never forget the amount of insult and the mental trauma that i went through in this company throughout my life.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for the skills and experience that professionals bring to the company. Do not hire people if you feel they do not match up to "Novell Standards" and try to kick them out. It is a waste of time for you and waste of time for the Professional.

NO MORE NOVEL COMPANY TO BE IN

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff I in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff I in Bangalore

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Once upon a time it was a good company to work for.

Decent technology exposure for new comers.

Work life balance was there once upon a time and now limited to few legacy products.

Cons

Revenue decline across all BU's for last so many years

With new Microfocus acquisition , some more layoffs seems to be on horizon. Although recruitment is in progress for filling recent attrition, it is mostly due to foresighted cuts expected. Might be scary for new joiners.

Salary is not competitive and no stock options.

Good work culture

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Work culture is good. People are friendly and helping

Cons

Pay is less compared to industry standards

6. Was a great place to work but slowly getting diluted

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Professional people
    Employee friendly

Cons

Future is a question mark.
    Have been getting acquired by other companies
    Not much of latest technology or exciting work

7. Working Here as QA Engineer

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Good environment to work with.

Cons

Senior Management is not having proper vision

8. The only place to get retired from if you are well settled in your life.

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's very employee friendly. Policy and benefits are really good despite of lots of trims in recent past. Employee recognition is always a priority and it's literally celebrated. Work-life balance is pretty good. Best is medical leave policy which offers you leaves at actual. Work is well defined and execution is also proper. Learning support is also on cards all the time.

Cons

Work from home not encouraged. Salaries are not up to the industry standard. Lots of oldies with feeling of ownership. Nothing much cutting edge in terms of work.

Advice to Management

Bring it to level in terms of salary and perks and provide opportunity to work in a variety of cutting edge technologies, lots of older employees will be back.

Good company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1.Decent salary(earlier it was much better,have heard from seniors in novell that few years back the hike was between 20% to 30% for all the employees which is very rare oin IT industry)
    2.Lot to learn(Even the QA guys who already work o python get to learn java)
    3.Management is not bad but needs improvement.

Cons

1.In the last 2 years the annual hike is close to what a service based company gives.
    2.There are hardly any new entries in the higher management & most of them are working here for last 15 years & so have a little tendency of forcing their opinion on you at times.
    3.Company is not doing well & has been sold twice in last 5 years.

Advice to Management

1.Try to match the compensation with contemporaries.

Join only if you don't need salary hike and you are mentally strong to face daily torture

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Bangalore

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Salary offered at the time of Joining is good.
    2. Good technical people .
    3. Complex product to learn

Cons

1.Company is not doing well so to cut cost they are hiring service company managers and these managers have brought worst culture in Novell . You may have to fight on hourly basis in office.These managers don't understand the product and will behave very bad with you.
    2.In last 3 years not seen a single Hike in salary,only hike you will see will be at the time of Joining.

Advice to Management

1. What is the need to hire service company managers in a technical company .
    2. With price rise every where people need salary hike ,without salary hike how can someone survive in Bangalore?
    3. It is going just in Nokia direction ,promote research and development here.

11. Overall good company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work life good balance.
    Great place for females

Cons

Pay comparative less to market standards.