OANDA

great potential.

ProsSome of the best and smartest people. Easy and open. Fun. Cool office

ConsSalaries are not great. No work life balance. Sad life

The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Marketing (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosfree lunch twice a week
    not much else

ConsHave you ever worked in a place where your manager was COMPLETELY CLUELESS? Welcome to Oanda's marketing team. Don't let the LinkedIn profiles fool you either, there's no 'Director-level' skill here. The sad part here is that I'm not even trying to be mean. When your creative director pulls out a ruler to measure pixels, you've got a SERIOUS problem!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo find a new job, one where you actually can contribute instead of holding the team back with your astounding level of ignorance.

Intern decent perks, fun people

Software Developer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosfor the most part people are friendly and open.

Consrecent layoffs, perks diminishing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disrespect the people who works there. Senior management sucks!

ProsCasual culture. People who works there is very smart and cool.

ConsUnable senior management. .
    Unable communication between management level and their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting time on politic and fight for your personal benefits but really do set down and listen what your staff is thinking.

Once great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Casual, open environment, but becoming less so as company tries to grow
    - Decent benefits and vacation time
    - Strong, but unfortunately shrinking group of lower to mid level experienced, intelligent employees
    - Decent technology

Cons- Employees who actually get meaningful work done and try to help the business are mostly lower level/lower paid
    - Too many mostly useless upper level employees compared to those lower down who actually know what's going on and do the work
    - Has gone from lean and profitable to overstaffed and disorganized
    - Seems to be all about appearance now, no substance

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many new, overpaid, higher level employees that have very little knowledge of the company or business. Try listening to the good, longer term employees who built a strong company. Currently being destroyed by new ownership/board, and executives with a lot of bad ideas

Complete Chaos!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company's industry reputation is the only thing it has going for it though that's disappearing fast.

ConsK. Duker was an incompetent CEO and needs to be terminated now that he lost that role. He failed miserably as the Managing Director of Singapore (turned a profitable division red) and was rewarded with taking Michael Stumms place. Whoever on the board that made that decision, should also be removed from decision making duties. Under K's "leadership", OANDA increased the cost of trading to their clients by implementing variable spreads, alienated their top traders with pointless requests, terminated most of the senior executive talent and purchased a near bankrupt firm named Currensee. These actions drove their revenue line straight into the ground. Now they’re in a panic and asking the work force to double their efforts and goals while slashing budgets. This is a recipe for failure. Good luck cleaning up K's mess Mr. Eger.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the Toronto operations facility and move it to the US to be near the new executive team. As long as OANDA remains in Toronto, the corporate culture of "acceptable incompetence" will also remain.

Awesome job out of college, but not more

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDepending which team you join, you'll learn a lot. Culture under Michael Stumm used to be awesome. But I hear it is changing now.

ConsUnless you do something really extraordinary, like have a smoke break with management, there is really no way to grow. Many people feel unappreciated despite putting long hours to execute the company vision. Thus getting recognition and raise is almost impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn technology business, your staff is your biggest asset. There are a lot of smart people in OANDA don't treat them like they are stupid.

Extremely disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt was great under Michael Stumm. Flat structure and work used to get done quickly and efficiently. Free lunch once a week.

ConsWe have a new CEO and he's ok so far. K Duker is still hanging around after the transition period and no one knows what he is doing even though he dishes out work and chimes in once in a while on emails. Also not sure what the interim CFO is up to as he is getting most of his buddies involved with the company. A lot of the employees are disengaged and there are no clear steps that will be taken to achieve the unrealistic task of doubling revenue this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great to set high goals but please let the employees know how these goals will be achieved. At this point, an IPO is nothing but wishful thinking.

A good company gone bad

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood environment and friendly people. If there is one team that I would recommend joining, it would be the mobile team. It's awesome participating in hackathons and other social events. Free lunches twice a week.

ConsThere are more managers, Directors and VPs on a project than actual developers who can do the work. I hear the company went from a very flat structure to another extreme. I also can't say people are passionate about their work. It seems many are there to do their day-to-day job without putting in any extra effort. Good luck dealing with HR, it's all about pleasing the agencies. I see lots of pain and transformation for this company if it has any chance of succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe targets for the year are unreal and everyone knows that. Sr. Management has not explained how is it even possible to achieve them for two years in a row. Get some good recruiters and stop using agencies and contractors. There is no culture of transparency at all.

i will tell you what is actually happening here

(Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosrock-solid technical infrastructure, well-oiled money making machine 24/7, the money machine is so well tuned that it's almost impossible to break it

Consnew incompetent senior management team, i.e. K Duker and the suckups, who don't actually know anything about the business. glad they are finally being fired by the board. hopefully the new CEO can patch the wounds. yet to be seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt took 10+ years of financial research and hard core software development to get the machinery to be where it is now. Even the incredibly incompetent K Duker was unable to destroy it. But he did manage to drive away, with his relentless BS, a lot of core employees who made the place what it is today.

So, new CEO, don't pretend to know what you don't know like K did, and listen to your employees, because some of them know way more about FX marketmaking business than you do.

Worked for OANDA? Contribute to the Community!