OANDA

2.3

Edmond Eger III

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Headed for failure

Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free drinks and lunch. That's about it. I am really having a hard time thinking of anything positive to say about this operation.

Cons

Management is highly incompetent, poor decision making, even worse leadership. There is a major disconnect between departments. Hard work is not rewarded. Also close to 40% of the company was laid off in 2014.

Thanks for ruining what was once a great company.

Advice to anyone thinking of working here - look elsewhere.

A company in decline headed for bankruptcy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of food and beverage and some party perks that are not appreciated by staff based on comments to the person who arranges food/beverages

Cons

Management worst I have seen like to promote from within which is great if within has any talent they don't huge issue between software company or financial company engineers think software rest think financial. Money when profitable (not in any month in 2014) comes from being a trading company not from selling software which sounds like a financial company to me? Two rounds of downsizing so far in 2014.

find a buyer or close shop current plans require massive expense cuts (30%) and market good not great market performance to break even. Do you need engineers when cheaper 'coders' from college can likely be more productive in most positions.

RE: The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

• Some of the smartest people I ever met.
    • Correction (There is no lunch twice a week for quite some time now.)
    • Breakfast Mondays, Dinner Tuesdays, Lunch Wednesdays
    • A lot of perks, you can view them in our recruitment site.

Cons

It's too bad some people feel so negatively about management in the marketing team. I can understand some individuals are frustrated about their managers, however there are no perfect work environments.

Just a note to the individual who claims to be a current employee. There are a few points you have mentioned in your review that tell me that you have not worked here within the last 6 months. Please do not post that you are a current employee. It makes the current team look bad.

Currently our managers do work to get the best experience for us to the best of their ability while also managing their everyday responsibilities.

It is unfair to the managers and to the reader to be misinformed. Our managers ARE able perform.

The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free lunch twice a week
    not much else

Cons

Have you ever worked in a place where your manager was COMPLETELY CLUELESS? Welcome to Oanda's marketing team. Don't let the LinkedIn profiles fool you either, there's no 'Director-level' skill here. The sad part here is that I'm not even trying to be mean. When your creative director pulls out a ruler to measure pixels, you've got a SERIOUS problem!

Go find a new job, one where you actually can contribute instead of holding the team back with your astounding level of ignorance.

Intern decent perks, fun people

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

for the most part people are friendly and open.

Cons

recent layoffs, perks diminishing

Awesome job out of college, but not more

I worked at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending which team you join, you'll learn a lot. Culture under Michael Stumm used to be awesome. But I hear it is changing now.

Cons

Unless you do something really extraordinary, like have a smoke break with management, there is really no way to grow. Many people feel unappreciated despite putting long hours to execute the company vision. Thus getting recognition and raise is almost impossible.

In technology business, your staff is your biggest asset. There are a lot of smart people in OANDA don't treat them like they are stupid.

A good company gone bad

I worked at OANDA full-time

Pros

Good environment and friendly people. If there is one team that I would recommend joining, it would be the mobile team. It's awesome participating in hackathons and other social events. Free lunches twice a week.

Cons

There are more managers, Directors and VPs on a project than actual developers who can do the work. I hear the company went from a very flat structure to another extreme. I also can't say people are passionate about their work. It seems many are there to do their day-to-day job without putting in any extra effort. Good luck dealing with HR, it's all about pleasing the agencies. I see lots of pain and transformation for this company if it has any chance of succeeding.

The targets for the year are unreal and everyone knows that. Sr. Management has not explained how is it even possible to achieve them for two years in a row. Get some good recruiters and stop using agencies and contractors. There is no culture of transparency at all.

i will tell you what is actually happening here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

rock-solid technical infrastructure, well-oiled money making machine 24/7, the money machine is so well tuned that it's almost impossible to break it

Cons

new incompetent senior management team, i.e. K Duker and the suckups, who don't actually know anything about the business. glad they are finally being fired by the board. hopefully the new CEO can patch the wounds. yet to be seen.

It took 10+ years of financial research and hard core software development to get the machinery to be where it is now. Even the incredibly incompetent K Duker was unable to destroy it. But he did manage to drive away, with his relentless BS, a lot of core employees who made the place what it is today.

So, new CEO, don't pretend to know what you don't know like K did, and listen to your employees, because some of them know way more about FX marketmaking business than you do.

A mixed bag of an experience

I worked at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of smart, collaborative employees at OANDA. You are given a lot of autonomy and you can choose how you want to approach problem-solving since there are no prescribed methods. This also means, you are free to learn about and concentrate on subjects that interest you.

Cons

They are extremely disorganized. The management are poor communicators and it seems being aggressive and un-collaborative are prerequisites for becoming a manager. While most employees are great, the management makes it a very bad place to work.

Lead by example, not with words. No more talk about world-class, just be world-class. Stop putting incompetent, aggressive jerks in management; it ruins the culture and the work environment. People need to have respect for their leaders to do their best work.

Time for a change

I worked at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company had brilliant developers, a great product.

Cons

environment was isolating and unforgiving