OHSU

OHSU Reviews

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
3.6

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 16 reviews)

• Low intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to be

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work culture: family values first, job duties second. Very refreshing and positive outlook.
    4 weeks of paid vacation with a max of 6.5 weeks. having to take vacation because you have too much is a good problem to have.

Cons

Parking is scarce and expensive. Salaries are a bit lower than average for the area, but they make up for it in benefits, work flexibility and perks.

Biomedical research opportunities

Current Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong research in specific areas such as stem cells, cancer, and neuroscience

Cons

Difficult commute by car, parking, inconvenience of access to stores and facilities outside of work

okay place to work

Current Employee - Researcher in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Researcher in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very flexible time schedule,reasonable work load

Cons

pay is not good and no career development track

Don't believe they care about you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reduced rates on a Metro transportation pass, if you can find time to use it.

Cons

Crowded offices with no air or light.
    HR techies need to wear a tie.
    Training Department (Operational Effectiveness) Not ready to hear criticism or allow different perspectives.
    Very impersonal treatment

Consider that I was told I was the top candidate, and that they really wanted my experience and opinion when I was hired....

My manager acted sweet, but put off my monthly one on one check in for over three months. I only had one performance check in with her after almost 4 months, the next time she told me I was being let go. Meanwhile I was asking for tasks to do for two plus months after they hired me, then told not to jump in to work on the new system I was supposed to be learning and testing, and all the while I was saying the vendor wanted us to get into the system. Then I was told I was being reluctant to get into the new system, when my senior colleague and manager had been telling me not to mess with it.

Also the manager and I agreed on my flex schedule and the parameters for it, then she lied or "forgot" that we had done that, and used that as a reason for my being being released. No attempt was made to communicate a concern and then follow up and see if it was fixed (it was).

I gave up a lot to take on this job, it only would have taken some communication and courtesy to have handled it all better, but there's no excuse for management to be so absent and such impersonal treatment.

Consolidation of power drives systematic exploitation of employees, students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OHSU may be a fine place to work within the "missions" -- patient care or research. Even elsewhere, within administration and central services, the pay can be good.

Cons

Within administration and central services, the name of the game is exploiting employees and students -- through rackets in benefits, parking, etc. -- to add a few extra bucks to OHSU's massive and massively increasing bottom line. Two executives now reign at a level that just a few years ago included nearly a dozen. These two have consolidated power and neutralized checks and balances. Go ahead and pledge your fealty to them if you have no problem lying and facilitating theft en masse from your colleagues.

OHSU's workforce is among the most highly educated anywhere. Do you really think they won't grasp what you are doing? Do you really think you can outrun the consequences, which at minimum will include "brain drain" (the departure of people crucial to future advancements such as the curing of cancers, for which OHSU recently took $200 million from the people of Oregon).

Division Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People
    Great Mission
    I felt proud to work for this organization

Cons

Must be able to negotiate a good compensation package

Don't.

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great and really the only lure. If you just want to collect a paycheck, neglect your family/personal life and work off the clock to keep up with your workload then this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

If you demonstrate any desire for career growth you will be eaten alive. Management is not supportive of career growth. They will respond as if you're out to take their job and you WILL become their target.
    It is a union shop. Pay into it all you want but when it comes time for support they run because the work and effort needed to finish your request is too hard.
    Human resources is a joke. There is nothing human about exploiting the employees and nothing is truly confidential because they are the same people talking to your neighbor on the bus about the goings on at work.
    Access to basic office supplies will depend on which department you work for. The closer to the Knight cancer research you are the more likely you will not be questioned about ordering pens and post its for your desk and it will be less likely that you will have to do your own housekeeping. That is right, you might have to empty your own trash, put in *several* requests for very basic bathroom facilities cleaning because that is not done on a regular basis. Regular cleaning is just done in restrooms deemed 'public', sharing a bathroom with 50 plus colleagues is not considered public enough to warrant daily custodial services. That is not just during the 'tight' times, it is part of the culture.
    The distribution of resources for just the basic of necessary work equipment is laughable. You may have to beg for a monitor that doesn't short out while a colleague has a closest full of extra computers, iPads, and other digital equipment that they don't use, some of it in original packaging.
    Working through your lunch is the norm because that is when everyone is 'free' for meetings, but don't think that as an hourly you get that time accounted for. Working off the clock is the status quo and ignored by all. It has become an ingrained part of the culture. Managers are aware and turn a blind eye, especially when they need something after hours. There is an expectation to be on call 24/7, yes even for hourly admin assistants. Don't you dare account for that time either. You will be written up, after all they have a payroll budget to stick to and that would just make your manager look bad.
    Need IT support? Better Google your problem first, after all that is what IT will direct you to do when you call the help line.
    There are so many things wrong with the org chart and accountability structure.
    Parking? I waited SEVEN years for the privilege to pay almost $200 a month to park my car.
    Retirement? If you dare select the wrong plan you will pay out of pocket while your coworkers don't.
    Healthcare benefits? The latest plan forces you to choose your doctor at OHSU or pay an exorbitant fee to continue with the doctor you have had for 12 years. So guess who your coworkers on public transportation will be talking about while you wait those years for your parking permit?
    U is for university and just like in the acronym the university is last in the mind of management. The complete disregard for students is shameful. Last minute changes to a program mid academic year is the norm. Dont worry, they will have the ear of the administration but be prepared to be called up on professionalism conduct charges.
    Don't ever feel safe, the threat of reorg to rid of you is always a vocalized threat.

It is your staff doing the work to make you look good. A simple acknowledgement of the work done by them will get you farther but does not curtail the fact that your expectations are unreasonable.
    Face the fact that you are just as disposable to the university as you treat the rest of us.

Great leaning opportunity with visible upward mobility but wish there was more training for managers

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a wonderful opportunity to network with professionals in the community and at the University. The donors and alumni are truly passionate about the cause and the next generation of students. The company is on the rise with their new Knight Cancer Campaign and they really do try to look within the company first to fill positions. A great place to work if you are interested in fundraising and event planning. So many of the people that work there are just delightful to work along side, especially those who are in administrative and assistant/associate directing positions.

Cons

There isn't enough training and continued development for managers. There's a high turnover rate and burn out rate for administrative assistants. The voices of those who support aren't always heard or showed that they are valued. Everyone is very dedicated to the cause there but The flip side of this is that there is tunnel vision on only the end result. Understanding the importance of empowering everyone on a team can be overlooked. When everyone feels valued, acknowledged and challenged in a way that is meaningful for them, the team (and for that matter the company) can thrive. Their evaluation system is wonky as well. It doesn't appropriately capture the work that individuals do and sets employees up to be graded as mediocre.

Magnet- laughable

Former Employee - RN NICU in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - RN NICU in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

excellent leaning facilithy, equal opportunity,

Cons

administration is a laugh, will gear up, want input, have commities, then once they get input, they run the opposite way. inconsistemt policies, and practices. Chaotic administration, made nice to get magnet status but really have not earned it.

cut the crap, and speak out of only one side of our mouth

Outstanding Place to Work!

Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the values, benefits, and environment. Lots of opportunity to excel and learn new skills. Especially appreciated the discounted Tri-Met pass.

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Remember the little guy is who makes your job easier. Communicate your intent to them and listen actively to their input.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo