OHSU Reviews

Updated 12 September 2014
Updated 12 September 2014
3.6

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding Place to Work!

Current Employee - Public Service Representative  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the values, benefits, and environment. Lots of opportunity to excel and learn new skills. Especially appreciated the discounted Tri-Met pass.

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Remember the little guy is who makes your job easier. Communicate your intent to them and listen actively to their input.

OHSU, seems great from the outside

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Research being conducted is top notch.

Cons

If you don't perform cancer related research, you are second class.

Extended summer internship

Former Employee - Murdock Scholar  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Murdock Scholar in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU as an intern for more than a year

Pros

There is a strong sense of teamwork and collaboration between departments. Asking for clarification is encouraged during training and continued support can be found as you learn new protocols. They encourage you to find a full time position within the company.

Cons

Overall this is a good company to work for. Internship pay is not spectacular, but it is reasonable. There are limited food option at the riverfront location.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working with beautiful view and weather and less stress

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am working here as a full time graduate student. I think the most good thing here is environment.
    The city is generally safe, weather is mild and people is generous. As a graduate student I can enjoy my academic study balancing with family affair with less stress.

Cons

As a student, insurance is really poor in contrast to normal employee.

Overall, great place for nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

Magnet certified, union represented (look on ONA's website for the entire contract, under AURN, which lists compensation tables, etc), competitive pay ($35.23 starting pay for no experience with BSN), 4.8 weeks vacation to start (increasing every 5 years to a max of 7.22 after 20 years), compensation for certification, greatly subsidized bus pass ($50 for a YEARLY pass right now - an $1100 value!), beautiful views, great food (including a natural mini grocery store), bike valet, Tillikum bridge (coming soon!), cash compensation for bike commuters, almost 100% covered medical benefit (dental about $150/mo for family, I pay $7 a month for my whole family's medical), 12% employer contribution to retirement plan w/o required employee match OR access to PERS (or whatever pers is called these days - OPSRP - a defined *benefit* program, not a defined *contribution* program) with employee required contribution of 6%, annual 2.25% cost of living raise in addition to annual raise, tuition reimbursement, mostly nice and friendly people, HUGE emphasis on diversity, everyone works every other weekend (might be considered a con but it makes it fair for everyone and with seniority you can request more off. Comes with a 10% weekend differential), unit based practice counsels, lots of free continuing ed opportunities. This company expects a lot but I think gives a lot in return.

Cons

Usual corporate bs, usual trappings of nursing culture (worse depending on unit - not enough staff, nurses eating young, etc), parking is $13 a day and there is a several year waiting list for annual passes (which you still have to pay $13 a day for - you're just guaranteed a spot that way), teaching hospital (which is rad, because you get to see and learn a lot, but also you have to deal with new residents every. single. year.)

Hire more CNAs!

Great post-doc benefits and career support

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Expert colleagues who are collaborative. Support resources available frequently.

Cons

Not many other research institutions nearby.

Better postdoc benefits (retirement plans, life insurance)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Assistant I  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working at OHSU. I worked with great, smart people; received competitive benefits; and felt like I was a part of something meaningful.

Cons

Parking (but they highly subsidize bus passes)

Excellent Employer

Current Employee - Senior Accounting Technician
    Current Employee - Senior Accounting Technician

I have been working at OHSU part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule in department

Cons

Pay for large chunk of benefits

Outstanding medical benefits package, but the size of the institution brings both perks and red tape.

Current Employee - PAS Specialist  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - PAS Specialist in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of perks including discounts at various Portland businesses, a practically free bus pass, great medical insurance starting at no cost out of your pocket... and more importantly, they genuinely prioritize internal hires, so lateral as well as upward movement are anticipated, encouraged, and very common.

Cons

Can be challenging if you're a problem solver/forward thinker in a low to mid-level position. You get the sense that you have your role, and your job is to fulfill it-- "out of the box" thinking, or interest in pursuing opportunities beyond your defined position are pretty obviously blown off with a "Thanks for your feedback, I'll look into it," or a "well, that's really something that is handled more by the _____ department."

It's difficult because every manager is under another manager/department head/director/etc. in such a large institution, so it can feel like you never know who really has the power, and everyone seems to blame the tier above them. Take some personal responsibility for your decisions/changes, or better yet, use your middle-managers to communicate with the work force and help them feel like they are part of the decisions that affect them.

Beautiful place to work. Smart people. Hard to get ahead. Low pay.

Current Employee - Research  in  Marquam Hill, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Research in Marquam Hill, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like the NW, working at OHSU is heaven. On top of a hill overlooking scenic Portland, you can't beat it! People care about their work here and love meeting new faces.

Cons

It's very difficult to get a job here none the less move up the latter. The pay for lower-mid level positions is not competitive.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!