OHSU
www.ohsu.edu Portland, OR 5000+ Employees

OHSU Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
OHSU – Portland – “Farmers Market on campus during the summer”

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.

Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good benefit friendly people, great benefits"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Good benefits and good work environment"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless you're making a high salary, you're not driving to work"
    in 2 reviews
  • "There is also a hiring freeze and budget cuts happening right now"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Difficult place for a non-medical professional

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent compensation, education opportunities, great infrastructure

ConsMay be "innovative" on the medical side (never worked at another hospital), but from what I saw, doctors and nurses were very reluctant to adopt new technologies on the administrative side. Poor training for managers and worked for very few good ones while there. HR is a robotic nightmare who take the manager's side in most conflicts. Union-busting/degredation is a pleasurable pastime for HR/Legal departments. Executive leadership is calcified, consultant depdendent and don't seem to know what's going on below their ivory towers. This is a giant organization-quit trying to get larger. Get good at what's already there. Quit ghetto-izing central services. Enough with the constant budget-scolding and every four year staff reductions. Ditch the outside consultants and gimmicky six sigma-esque programs. Spend the millions on training front line staff and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach all managers management. Assume they know nothing. Force them to meet one on one with employees often, if not weekly. They spend so much time in pointless meeting hashing over the same nonsense for years at a time that they don't know what's happening or are in crisis management more than day to day management. Do exit interviews.

Post doc benefits at OHSU

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood environment with public safety

ConsWorst health insurance for Postdocs

Advice to Senior ManagementPostdocs are not slaves

Great scientific community, many problems integrating research and clinical staff.

I have been working at OHSU

ProsSome of the most cutting edge medical research in the world is happening here, led by great minds in all types of fields.

ConsThere is a lot of wasted time and energy in HR/etc. departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy personal manager is great, but there is a hardcore one size fits all approach to staff management that makes no sense with the way the university is set up.

OHSU is an okay place to work, but there are some problems.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work going on at OHSU is exciting and there are many features that are only available because OHSU is the main institution for the Oregon National research Primate center. If you work at the ONRPC, there is plenty of free parking and the traffic is not that bad.

ConsThe pay at OHSU is only given at the NIH standard for post-doctoral fellows. Also the medical insurance coverage is very restrictive with limited options and high costs.

A large, bureaucratic, slow-moving "enterprise" (review for IT only)

Senior Applications Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are great. Work-life balance is great. Lots of meetings and project managers adept at Gantt chart maintenance. If you are looking for a rigid, non-challenging, conflict-free and risk-averse experience then work here. OHSU IT is not cutting-edge or creative.

ConsIf you are not management then you have to pay dues to the AFSCME union. For some this won't be a "con" but it seems unusual for IT (when I started I was hourly and had to clock in/out, many of us are now union salaried).

OHSU is able to straddle the razor of for-profit/non-profit, but there is a lot of money wasted. The right-hand often doesn't know what the left-hand is doing. It's not always clear who does (or is repsonsible for) what. Management would rather way overspend on outside vendors than take responsiblity in-house. A CYA mentality that would seem to require fewer employees, yet there are a lot if non-IT people in OHSU IT (that's the nicest way I can put it.)

There really is no entrepreneurial spirit at OHSU.

Advice to Senior ManagementHmmm. Take early retirement?

Looks great, then trouble.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBeautiful location and facilities.
Excellent CORE facilities.

ConsNo mid-career guidance or direction.
Little to no $ commitment from OHSU after startup despite HUGE $ donations.
Focus is on the few major scientists
Dept micromanaging

Advice to Senior ManagementSome Depts are run by abusive Chairs that OHSU os fearful to challenge despite documented abuse.

Great and friendly place to work, but offers a very expensive insurance.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a hospital campus with research involved. I worked at one of the research buildings and I liked it. People are friendly and hardworking for sure. It is a very clean environment. I should also add that it is a very competitive place to work at. I see that as a good thing. They encourage their employees to live a healthy life by promoting cheaper insurance in return of proven active life.

ConsThe insurance they offer is very expensive and they do not accept every other insurances to start working there. At least that is how it was.

Great place to coast through your career

ITG (Current Employee)

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay and benefits are great. Work life balance is very good. There is very little pressure to complete projects on time.

ConsLow risk tolerance discourages innovation and initiative. Focus is on doing things the same way it's been done for years. Very little collaboration between teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop accepting the status quo. Allow employees more freedom to suggest changes and be willing to take some risks.

An organization without a soul

ProsThe benefits
They do hire really smart and competent people

ConsRight hand doesn't know what the left had is doing
People burn out in less than a year
Is a bit of a boys club
Complete lack of transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention.

Healthcare organization that consistently pursues excellence and innovation.

PAS Resource Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at OHSU part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSupportive management, top notch professionals, compassionate care for both patients and employees, thorough training of new hires, friendly fellow employees.

ConsSince it is so large, there are times when certain protocol within each department is not very clear and defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue keeping an "open door" policy and being transparent with your employees. Also, continue to hire people with both business savvy and a heart for patients--they are total assets.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OHSU reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for OHSU CEO Joseph Robertson Jr.. All 111 reviews are posted anonymously by OHSU employees.