Oakwood Systems Group

Oakwood Systems Group President & CEO Charles Windsor
Charles Windsor

Decent consulting firm

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group

Pros

Talented employees, decent pay rates.

Cons

"Sink or swim" mentality. Every man for themselves.

Growth opportunity for the self-starter

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are willing to work hard and bring solutions, not just problems, you are listened to. If you are willing to define, support and defend a new offering, Oakwood has a history of enabling people to go so far as even starting a new practice. Reviews within at least some groups at Oakwood are established with SMART goals chosen mostly by the employee, aimed at their growth the way they want. The mentorship, training, flexibility and empowerment are simply second to none among companies for whom I have worked.

Cons

Consulting is not for everyone, so having to learn constantly and take on challenges for which you are not yet equipped can be off-putting. There is difficulty in communication from the topmost tier of the organization. The senior leadership seems to believe that allowing difficult news to filter through rumor channels is more effective than directly addressing the concerns. The standard benefits are not the best.

Communicate. Do it too much. Be transparent even when it hurts. Better communication leading to stronger trust could set this organization on a far better track.

Great company and people, some struggles have come up though

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Oakwood has great people, they are willing to share knowledge within their team as well as with other teams. I think they are on the brink of some exciting stuff.

Cons

Key people have moved on and management needs to find a way to retain. Cannot stay in limbo on this one.

Hire managers who can lead their teams and allow those managers to do just that. Business isn't always good, but maintain communication and positive leadership. The CEO might need to relinquish some control in order to do this effectively.

Oakwood focuses on being the premier leader of technology expertise. I was proud to be a member of the Oakwood family!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Teamwork flows throughout the organization. The sharing of best practices, the encouragement of continual learning, and the family like atmosphere was fantastic!

Cons

at times there were tight deadlines based on client demands, but that goes along with any position.

more consistent / measurable feedback is always encouraged and helpful - to help take employees to the next level.

Not Fair People

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time

Pros

They have a nice office location.

Cons

Harrassment
    Racism
    uncool
    never knew who my manager was.

Nov 04, 2014Director of Human Resources

The company prides itself in providing a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment as an important part of our Company philosophy. The Company is committed to maintaining ... More

Oakwood offers an engaging, challenging and fun work environment for Microsoft technology consultants.

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The teamwork has been great, people are helpful and the environment is fun. It's a work hard, play hard environment. Getting certified in current Microsoft technologies is encouraged, and rewarded.

Cons

The pace can be tough, but that's not unique to Oakwood, that's consulting in general.

Oakwood does a good job of letting people pursue what's interesting to them - continue to empower your staff by encouraging that.

Nov 03, 2014Sr. Director, Marketing

Thanks for the information. We'll continue to work hard at enabling our people to grow and to pursue their interests. We can only get there through the talent and creativity of great people like you.

Good Technical Opportunities But Ownership Out of Touch and Difficult Company Culture

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good opportunities to grow your technical skills.

Cons

Ownership does not value the employees and completely out of touch with clients as well as employees. Experience is not valued. Made clear that technical resources can be easily replaced. Client satisfaction is poor on most projects even though company tries to spin making it sound positive. Will take any project regardless of whether company can deliver. Benefits are expensive and poor choices provided. Promise of bonuses never materialize.

Ownership needs to sell or stay out of day to day business. Use to have some great leaders in management but will not listen to them. Value your delivery people and their experience.

Oakwood Systems Group is a great company.

Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional and friendly environment, good benefits, steady work for most roles, big growth on the horizon, lots of in-office perks.

Cons

Oakwood was unable to continue finding work to fit my career path due to extenuating circumstances, location changes for other employees could be frequent

Don't lose your personal touch as Oakwood skyrockets.

Nov 03, 2014Sr. Director, Marketing

Thanks so much for taking time to provide feedback. We wish you the best in your future and we'll keep our focus on our treating our consultants and clients with the utmost respect, appreciation and ... More

Great Place to Work! Lot's of Potential for Career Growth!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work with latest technologies. Operational Support for clients is minimal. Most of the time we work on a project or implementation then turn over the keys to the client for day-to-day administration and support, which is great and takes a lot of headaches out of this type of work when compared to working a typical IT job for a single organization. Growth in experience is also fast passed having the opportunity to work for multiple organizations and this can help elevate career.

Cons

Minor bumps and challenges due to growing company. Management does a decent job of adjusting to this but sometimes can be challenging to delivery consultants.

Sometimes there is too much focus on trying to grow and client engagements tend get a lack of attention. Things sometimes slip through the cracks resulting in tension with the client that can put projects at risk. Keep the mindset of growing the firm, but don't forget about the bread and butter which is the work on the ground.

Oakwood Systems Group Photos